Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a lot of people have those stands that lift up the back and in some cases front tires of the motorcylce. What is the purpose for this? Is it ok if its not on the stands and just standing on the kickstand for a long time ( 2 weeks lets say)?

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
It so you dont get flat spots in the tires. you wouldnt want to hit a flat spot in the tire when you come around a curve or you and the pavement will become really good friends. 2 weeks shouldnt be bad (but not good either) its more or less for winter storage.

·
Chicks Dig Scars
740 Posts
I notice a lot of people have those stands that lift up the back and in some cases front tires of the motorcylce. What is the purpose for this? Is it ok if its not on the stands and just standing on the kickstand for a long time ( 2 weeks lets say)?
i can't speak for everyone but i want a set of stands because i do a lot of the work on the bike myself. it makes it easier to take off the wheels, drain the oil, etc. right now when i replace my rear tire, i position 2 jack stands on either side of the bike, lift the bike by the wheel to place one side of the swing arm on one stand, then i use my foot to drag the other stand under the other side of the swing arm. this is not safe, not fun, not easy, flat out a pain in the rear. replacing the front tire is a bigger pain in the ass and i need some one else there to position the jack stands under the forks, then i have to have them hold the bike because each fork moves independently and the bike will fall, then to prevent the forks from moving independently i have to put the axle back in before i leave to get the tire mounted.

using bike stands keep the tires off the ground which will prevent flat spots over long periods of time. I've been told it's harder to accidentally knock the bike over when it's on the bike stands than if it's on the kick stand. I've been told that some bike stands are on wheels so if you need to move the bike out of the way to get at something in the garage you simply just need to push it.

anyone got more reasons?

·
Do Work!
999 Posts
Got mine mainly because of the winter. I didn't want flat spots in my tires. It also makes jobs a lot easier. From washing it to changing spark plugs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long does it take flat spots to form on the tires? Ist it possible to get rid of them once they occour?

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
its possible to get rid of them yes you have to ride them out (not a fun process) and it depends on your tires harder tires will take longer softer ones less time

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
So I don't get flat spots on my tires, and so I can work on bikes. They are a must if you own a sportbike in most cases.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
So I don't get flat spots on my tires, and so I can work on bikes. They are a must if you own a sportbike in most cases.
:stupic agreeed

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Here are the reasons I have stands. Washing the bike, it's easier to clean the wheels. Changing wheels and tires, you have to lift the bike somehow. Applying chain lube and cleaning the chain itself. General maintaince, for whatever reason, I don't like working on a bike leaning at an angle if I can avoid it. Tire warmers, you can't use them without stands. And then the winter storage thing.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
nothing special bike stands on most sites

·
Registered
803 Posts
Don't worry about a flat spot, keep your tire pressure up and it should not be a problem assuming you dont let it sit for months at a time.

·
Registered
339 Posts
its about impossible to do any maint on your bike atleast without a rear stand. and you surely cannot take your wheels off with out both unless you just rig something and it probably wont be safe.

Popular stand brands are Pitbull, T-Rex, ect...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a set of T-Rex stands (front & rear). The guy I bought the bike from gave them to me for no extra cost, and are absolutely worth it now that I have them...on my previous bike I didn't have them.

Changing the oil, lubing / cleaning the chain is way easier now, stick it in neutral and go to town. Changing the rear tire, or sprockets.

Cleaning the rear or front rim isn't a hassle now and it keeps the bike from tipping as easily when working on it on the kickstand.

Although I did almost drop the bike when letting it down on the rear stand before, luckly the wall was close and held it up and no damage was done, now I stand on the right side with the kickstand down before letting it down.

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
What is this "winter storage" you all speak of... :) In fact, what's winter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts