Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 R6. I've had it for about 4 months now and has been running perfect until the other day. Whenever you give it gas it hesitates and sputters and losses a lot of power. I thought it was bad gas because on mistake i put some Valero gas in it when i usually run Chevron. I drained the tank and left the tank off and ran the bike without the tank on so all of the gas in it would be gone. I replaced it with supreme Chevron gas and once i got home, took the gas tank back off and rode up the street to see if the problem was still there, which it was :?: I don't know what to do :?: The bike has 13k miles on it now, i bought it when it had 9k and not sure when the spark plugs where changed. Could the spark plugs be fouled up? I drove the bike with the gas tank and the fuel filter off and it still ran bad? Are the carbs dirty? Any help would be useful before i have no choice and take it down the the dealership to have it checked out.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would clean the carbs, change the plugs and the plug wires.
While you're in the carbs, make sure you don't have clogged jets.
If this doesn't work, you could have problems further into the electrical system, which I would have checked out at a shop.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright well i went ahead and changed the plugs and that has helped out a little. It still hesitates up high and now has a rough idle. I will get the carbs checked out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
What you're experiencing, is also a symptom of bad coils. After reading the tech bulliten on the coil problem with the R6, it sounded just like that. You might have that checked out also.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool thanks, right now im getting a jet kit put on to see if that will help fix it but i'll do that next

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would clean the carbs, get them synched, change plugs, valve adjustment, clean and or replace your air filter. And you should be good to go for a long time.

I would also test the coils like mentioned, could be your cause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.