Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,

I'm about to purchase some tires for my new R6 and am curious mostly on what I should expect to pay to mount them. My plan is to take the wheels off and bring them and the new tires to someone and have them fit the tire.
First off, is a dealer a good place to go for this or will they generally charge an arm and a leg? Secondly, what should I expect to pay?
And last thing, I'm hoping to powdercoat my rims while they're off the bike. I'm going to go get a quote from a local guy but I'm curious first what I should expect to pay? Is this a $50 a wheel thing or $150?

Thanks,
Collin

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my Michelin pilots on ebay for like 230$ for the set free shipping then I took the wheels off my bike took to a motorcycle shop and they installed them for 25$ for both my local yamy dealer wanted 50$ per wheel I'd just call around and find the best price

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah there's some big gaps in prices to various dealers shop around if you take them the wheels it only takes about 15 mins make sure they balance them one cycle shop installed tires for me and didn't even balance them which I think is retarded but yeah shop around.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Yeah there's some big gaps in prices to various dealers shop around if you take them the wheels it only takes about 15 mins make sure they balance them one cycle shop installed tires for me and didn't even balance them which I think is retarded but yeah shop around.
the first thing you need to understand is that a motorcycle dealership is MUCH different than a car dealership. costs for everything is relative based on how desperate you are for the service. if you roll in with a flat, you will surely roll out with an empty wallet. they will make you wait too long and the job will almost certainly be done poorly. but, this has only been my experience.

if i had to give you actual real advice on how i would get this done if it were my bike, here goes; show up at a track day. borrow someone's stands (and tools, if necessary) and pay the trackside vendor for a new set of tires. generally, the pricing is very competitive for the tires and the mounting/balancing is free. i estimate that you will save about 1/2 the amount vs going to a dealership. this would, however, preclude you from getting your wheels painted or powder coated while your tires are off.

expect to get raped by a regular dealership. that's just how they are...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just put got a set of q3s 120/190 installed for $250 but my buddy owns the shop so I get discounts. Its seems to me that if you go to a motorcycle shop not a dealership they'll match any prices you find online and charge $20 to install. If you buy the tires off the internet and bring your rims in they'll rape you on installation and disposal.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Some internet sellers get volume pricing on tires that regular brick/mortar stores cant get. Even at my friends shop his cost was $30 more than a couple internet stores.

If you buy locally Id find a shop that wants your business. Shouldnt take more than an hour to install a set of tires... labor wise. Thats physically removing the wheels from the bike & all. If a shop is not happy to get your tire install... they sure as hell wont appreciate any other business.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I'm currently in the same situation as far as getting tires mounted on rims. Local Yamaha shop said 30 bucks a rim. I've spoke to 2 privately owned places, one said 20/rim. But their hours are only weekdays during normal business hours. Another shop said 25/rim and is open all weekend. Just call around until you find the best price. If you want to go to a dealer, just mention you are shopping around and they may offer a better price.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
211 Posts
Buy the balancing beads, tire irons, rim protectors and do it yourself. You'll save money on the 2nd tire change.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Have the shop do it. It's convenient.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Some dealers only charge a small fee like ($10) a tire, and others as much as $60+for the set if you take them the tires.
Motorcycle stores around here charge 100 here.... F NY
Found a small shop that mounts tires for 25 bucks a pop I'll be dealing with them from now on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts