Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if you need to change your wheel bearings?

When i'm riding at slow speeds to a light with the clutch pulled in. I can hear and sometimes feel....hard to explain... like a thud on the one side of the rotation of the wheel. Like I'm riding on an oval.. one sides flatter then the other. Even sometimes when I'm breaking hard I can feel it in my hands the thud.......thud......thud.... from the front end.

Sound like the bearings to anyone? It's not the wheel... Any other ideas of what it could be?

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
How do you know if you need to change your wheel bearings?

When i'm riding at slow speeds to a light with the clutch pulled in. I can hear and sometimes feel....hard to explain... like a thud on the one side of the rotation of the wheel. Like I'm riding on an oval.. one sides flatter then the other. Even sometimes when I'm breaking hard I can feel it in my hands the thud.......thud......thud.... from the front end.

Sound like the bearings to anyone? It's not the wheel... Any other ideas of what it could be?
It's pretty easy to pull the front wheel and check. The spacers just pop out. Have a front stand? Free rotation of the wheel is a good place to start. Engage the brake lever and see if it gets better or worse.

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
they should occasionly moan if they are bad. youll hear/feel a slight constant vibration

·
Registered
479 Posts
take off the wheel and slowly spin the bearing with your fingers. it should feel totally smooth. if it feels notchy at all you needs new ones.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
did you hit any curbs?
check your rims and see if they are straight:fact
if straight, lift your front bike and pull your tire off via 32mm bolt....and check your bushing(spacers)

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
could be chain related as well...lots of things still move with the clutch pulled in.

I would check chain slack too. but yes, put the bike on stands, and spin the wheels. If the bearings are bad, you will know...and should be able to hear/see it fairly obviously.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't have jack stands as of now. Do you need any special tools to remove and install new bearings?

Bike only has 2400 miles on it, but it sat for a year, do you think the bearings are bad already? yr = 2005

1 - 8 of 8 Posts