Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok being a fairly new rider with only a couple months under my belt, i have a question that i am unsure of. When i take some curves at a decent speed, specifically today, and im leaning into them, it feels as if my rear tire is weaving kinda. To give you an idea of the curvature, it is a 45 mph turn and i was going about 70 thru some and almost 80 thru other (very unpopulated back road) My buddy says its wheel hop but i dont know. Is this common? Ive got a 2003 and its lowered about 2 inches and i was in 6th gear if any of that matters. If anyone could just advise me of whats going on. Thanks

·
Hate the 405
928 Posts
6th gear? thats too high for my liking. is your suspension set up correctly? if not it could feel like your loosing the back wheel.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hows the back tire? is it new or worn out? and yeah i like having my rpm's high when im hittin twisties because well as we all know the r6 is a track bike but yeah how is the tire wear?

·
2007 R6
1,019 Posts
IMO the wheel "hop" is from being in 6th gear and not having a smooth throttle. You need to gear it down a little and lowering your bike will make if feel heavy like that in a turn. I had mine lowered an 1" and put it back to stock because it road bad.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Yeah sounds like something's missing from this story, BUT if I may suggest, If you're in the turns/twisties, you should be in a MUCH lower gear than 6th.

USUALLY when I'm in the turns and stuff I run 2nd or 3rd gear. Don't be afriad to run those RPM's up, the bike was made to run High revs. Just be careful because in lower gears at higher revs your bike will be much more responsive (than running it in 6th gear at the same speed)

As for the wheel hop, you may have had anything happen from choppy throttle, to running over a rock, hitting a crack in the road, running over tar, even a leaf will make your wheel move some if you're leaned over enough.
Have fun and stay safe out there.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
asdfjklm said:
Yeah sounds like something's missing from this story, BUT if I may suggest, If you're in the turns/twisties, you should be in a MUCH lower gear than 6th.

USUALLY when I'm in the turns and stuff I run 2nd or 3rd gear. Don't be afriad to run those RPM's up, the bike was made to run High revs. Just be careful because in lower gears at higher revs your bike will be much more responsive (than running it in 6th gear at the same speed)

As for the wheel hop, you may have had anything happen from choppy throttle, to running over a rock, hitting a crack in the road, running over tar, even a leaf will make your wheel move some if you're leaned over enough.
And always make sure you've done your braking "before" you start cornering. That helps out a lot.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Get your bike's rpm's up it will feel much more stable when you are down a few gears. Also it sounds like you don't have the suspension set right.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
asdfjklm said:

^^^^^ What he said!

I barely ever get into 6th on the street, keep the bike where the powers at, 8-10,000 rpms.

If your going into the turns at 60-70 where its a 40 mph turn your going to want to break hard lean in and power out of the turn.

I cant see your tire breaking loose unless your knee is touching the ground and if your a new rider like you say it's pretty hard for a seasoned rider to get the tires hot enough to be at a lean angle where the tire would slide controlled.

If you said the wheel was hopping during deceleration down shifting I would say your getting rear wheel chatter but you said you were in 6th.

So I'm going back to what asdfjklm said turn in in a better gear not 6th.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts