Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post as I just found this board. I received new Metzeler M1s for xmas, so I need to remove the wheels to have the new tires mounted.

Sounds dumb to ask, but how do you remove the front and rear wheels?

I already searched this forum, and checked the How-To threads, without success (obviously). Any help or links are greatly appreciated. BTW, I have stands.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
304 Posts
i am not sure where the thread is either but the manual should tell you if you have it. also you will need the tool kit that came with the bike if you have that. you probably can get by with out it by using comparable tools but that would be the easiest way. if you dont have these, pm me and i will get in info in an email for ya.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
you'll need a triple tree stand too...so you have something to support the front of the bike after the tire is removed.. just a FYI...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
when i helped a friend take his wheels off his duc, we used tiedowns
and hung the bike from the rafters! if you like your bike, i wouldnt
do it that way though!

Manoah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drhodes: Yep, that's why I mentioned that I have stands. Pitbull rear and Redline front. Very important, heh.

Manoah: Why doesn't the idea of hanging a 400+ lb sportbike from rafters sound safe? :mrgreen: Not to mention you said it was a Duc and we all know how much parts for those cost...

I was able to get both wheels off pretty quickly once I looked in the manual. Only prob I had was the 19mm front axle. I do not have the toolkit that comes with the bike, so I ended up using a lugnut from a car and a crescent wrench on what stuck out... worked well!

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
igniter said:
drhodes: Yep, that's why I mentioned that I have stands. Pitbull rear and Redline front. Very important, heh.

Manoah: Why doesn't the idea of hanging a 400+ lb sportbike from rafters sound safe? :mrgreen: Not to mention you said it was a Duc and we all know how much parts for those cost...

I was able to get both wheels off pretty quickly once I looked in the manual. Only prob I had was the 19mm front axle. I do not have the toolkit that comes with the bike, so I ended up using a lugnut from a car and a crescent wrench on what stuck out... worked well!

Thanks for your help guys!

yea, i think a little creativity is necessary for automotive work, and
it wasnt my duc, i cant afford that crap! good job improvising!

Manoah

·
Registered
784 Posts
Something that works well for the front axle, the back side of a spark plug socket. I used a Craftsman spark plug socket for mine. Take the socket, pull out the foam rubber insert, then stick the back side of the socket that the ratchet or extention normally goes in, into the axle. An extention will fit through the open end of the socket and will work like a charm. Those 19 mm Allen sockets get expensive and most of us have a spark plug socket lying around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts