Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for some time now and i'm getting more and more interesting in being able to wheelie..... can i get some tips/ advice on proper techniques, and safety from some of you fellaz!!!....
Thxs

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Being able to wheelie, and telling someone how are a little different, but I'll give it a shot.
There are 2 basic kinds of wheelies. Sit downs, and stand ups. I'll go over the sit down first.
Start off about 5-10 mph on an EMPTY street or parking lot. Make sure you cover your back brake, because it will save you from flipping over. Engage the clutch, and rev the RPM's to about 6-7k. As you rev, let off the clutch BUT don't take your fingers off of the lever. this is part of your control.
you will get an idea of how much RPM you need to lift the front end up. Better to have too little power than too much. Work your way up slowly.
As you get the hang of this, the clutch and throttle will start to work together. *more throttle= front end up higher.
*More clutch=front end comes back down.
*Back brake=front end comes down fast.
Practice this until you learn how much throttle you need to get the front end up. Be aware, there is a balance point. when you reach that point, you will think you're flipping over, so you need to work your way up to this point. You won't be riding wheelies overnight. This takes time and patience.
Stand ups are alot different, and can be easier if you know how. They are also normally done at higher speeds. I learned stand ups a long time after sit downs.
I recommend starting a stand up in 2nd gear. Start off about 20MPH. compress the forks a little and on the rebound, give some throttle and pull up on the bars. ALSO cover your back brake. You can also take your left foot, and place it on the passenger peg for more balance and control. I keep mine on the front because I shift during wheelies.
Keep in mind the bike will come up much easier on a stand up, so start slow. Your main focus in both kinds are throttle control, and clutch control. ALWAYS cover your back brake.
Hope this gets you started.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i dont know what texas r6 is saying, i guess everyone does wheelies different...

takes practice though he is right about that, i usually do sit downs, i am going at about 6rpms in second pull the clutch in a little bit, rev it up, dump the clutch, when it comes up lets the gas go about half way and then you can use the throttle to hold you up... it took me a long time cause i wouldnt give it enough gas to get it up or i would clutch it wrong , little by little, thats all i can say

hard at first and then you'll get use to it took me about 4 months, try riding with someone that knows how to do em that helps a little bit to, but once you can do em you dont want to get off them, hope that helps, good luck and be careful

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm still in the learning stages but I like not using the clutch. I rev with clutch engaged then let the throttle go to zero as the bike comes back from the compression slam the throttle back to bring the front end up. I'm starting to work on being able to ride it out and eventually be able to shift. :jump

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand what TexasR6 is saying. It makes a bit of sense actually. I've been doing power wheelies with a little go at clutching here and there. I've found that power wheelies are great when you are in slow traffic and just want to life the nose a tad. The clutch is the one I have yet to master. Thanks, TexasR6. I'll be giving what you said a go this weekend.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys..... I been just throttling it up and attemptign to play w/ the clutch, but balls arent quite big enough to hold it or keep throttling it once i get the front to lift.... and as far as safety..... i figured... what the hell, like i was told from day one... there are those that have gone down, and those that will!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't even mess with the clutch in first unless you are do slow stuff. I personally have an 03 Gixer 6 and my friend has an 02' R6 which I've ridden a lot. What I would do is just get the bike around 6-7 when just starting out. Roll off the throttle than whack the throttle wide open and be sure to keep your weight off the front. I can pull my 6 up at 5000 and my friends R6 the same. Learn how to ride out first gear to redline then start learning shifting and second gear standups once you've gotten the feel for getting it up consistently. I just bounce my second gear standups at 55-60...stock gearing and no clutch. It all comes down to timing and you'll get it down with some practice. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
408 Posts
first off the front wheel is never as high as you think it is have someone video you and youll see I prefer stand up wheelies its easier to move around and get you balance plus you can actually see over the bars the way I do them is go in 2nd take it to 8grand let off then get back in it bounce the front end and pull up remember it takes practice and yes someday you will crash but hten again someday you wiil die so I try niot to think about shit like that when you think or are scared is when you make mistakes

·
Registered
503 Posts
Damn... now you guys got me wanting to do them. I just don't want to crash my $8 grand investment. Is anyone out there also afraid to do wheelies. Like I've started to, and have done like 3 or 4 mini's, but that's only by waiting till about 25 mph in first, letting go, bouncing, and romping on the throttle. And even then, it comes up about 1 out of every 6 trys. It's hard to get it down. I mean it's awesome when it comes up, I'm just thinking about when I crash, that would suck ass. But... first is so stinkin touchy, can I try something in second, like on the highway or something. And that's another thing, how DO you do them on the highway?

Please help me get over the fear...
-Solace

·
Registered
408 Posts
try them the way I said it feels a lot better in 2nd 1st is very touchy and i dont recommend doing anything but taking off in first first just stand up and get comfortable with that then start going faster every time you feel confident enough baby steps baby steps you have to crawl b4 you can walk (i always hated that saying)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can try starting in second and thats fine too. The only reason I say first gear when starting is because theres so much engine braking available its easy to put down in case you actually get too high. Plus if you don't have the technique to get 1st gear down theres no way your going to figure out bouncing up second if you cant even power up 1st smoothly. It takes a lot more body language for 2nd gear for someone just getting comfortable with getting the front end off the ground. I agree though, take very small steps and you'll get it with practice. Dont even worry about highway stuff yet. Good luck either way you go at it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am just learning to pull the front up (figures, I was kicking most f4I's on the track last year on a 97 CBR, but I can't ride a wwheelie)

One of my friends has been coaching me. his repeated words of advice, don't clutch it. ride up to 7500K of the gas and back on, nice and quick. if it doesn't come up a little more gas. I have been doing this for 3 weeks on and off, I am finally getting the front wheel about 3 feet up before I let of the gas. I am still working on keeping it up.

don't go to 10K it comes up a lot quicker!

at first a foot feels like a flip, after a while you will go higher without realizing it. unfortunatly I am having a hard time telling 1 foot from 3 right now, funny thing they feel equal...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
One of my friends has been coaching me. his repeated words of advice, don't clutch it.
If you just hit the gas and pull the front end up, you'll be going alot faster than you want to when you finally get the front end up. Plus, you have alot less control of the bikes english (position)
If you use the clutch, the front end will come up faster, and you will be going slower. This, in my opinion, is a much safer, and much easier way to wheelie.
Using the clutch, I can wheelie all the way through 6th gear. Just hitting the gas, I'm lucky to be in 3rd before I have to set it down.

Just my opinion, but I'd opt for the safer/easier way if you're just starting out.

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
TexasR6 said:
One of my friends has been coaching me. his repeated words of advice, don't clutch it.
If you just hit the gas and pull the front end up, you'll be going alot faster than you want to when you finally get the front end up. Plus, you have alot less control of the bikes english (position)
If you use the clutch, the front end will come up faster, and you will be going slower. This, in my opinion, is a much safer, and much easier way to wheelie.
Using the clutch, I can wheelie all the way through 6th gear. Just hitting the gas, I'm lucky to be in 3rd before I have to set it down.

Just my opinion, but I'd opt for the safer/easier way if you're just starting out.
ill go with try both and see which u like cause everyone is different. i personally havent done amy wheelies of any great length or height so i am in no way a expert on this subject but i have seen many views on this subject so thats what im givin to ya :cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
TexasR6 sounds like he has quite a bit more experience.

The on/off advice stemmed from my buddy going through a clutch in one season on his ducati (he has a gsxr now). then again those ducs have dry clutches.

I found clutching to be unpredictable when I tried it, then again it's all a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You're right. And if you learned to do them one way, and that's what's working for you, then that's the way you should do them. I would say try both, and see which one works for you. Although I can do both ways, using the clutch is easiest for me.
:cheers

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I didnt take the time to read all the posts but ...

If you are practicing to do wheelies at this point, you are going to crash your bike and get hurt...

Wheelies were cool like two years ago...

More respect to guys who can really ride their bikes...

Do what you like...just do it CAREFULLY...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
forget a wheelie...if you really wanna shit your pants try bustin a few stoppies...i hit a 12o'clock stoppie (or just about as close as you can get) saturday afternoon and almost shit my pants. But I got that bastard on video and it was damn tight lookin. hahahahah :jump

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.