Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
live to ride ride to live
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2010 r6 a month ago and been trying to wheelie ever since. I got it to clutch up in 2nd gear and 12k rpm once but that doesn't seem right. I'm not having any luck with 1st gear clutch up's seems like the rear tire just spins

·
I really like my toys.
46 Posts
You have one post. One month of ownership. Experienced rider.....doubtful considering you are posting on an online forum about "how" to wheelie.

Stop trying.....

·
~Faster Than Lightning~
1,025 Posts
lol how much experience of riding do you have under your belt dude??? I didn't attempt to do a stunt up until i was a yr into riding my bike for the first time.

·
live to ride ride to live
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 9 this this is my 2nd Street bike and the reason I am asking is because this is the first time I've ever been interested in stunts and from what I have read it should pop up around 9k so I was wondering what I could be doing wrong or if there might be something wrong with my r6. so if your going to just be counterproductive just don't even comment PhoenixClave

·
~Faster Than Lightning~
1,025 Posts
Well it's not just about the rpm...have good tires with good traction, and a good clutch..and put your body weight on the rear to maximize the traction..there's 2 ways you can pop a wheelie, and that's double throttle, or quick clutch and go. When i used to stunt never really paid attention to rpms, i was just focus on keeping balance and not to use too much throttle so i wont fall back. After i got hit by another stunner, then thats when i decided it was time to let that go :p.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have yet to have to pop the clutch at anything higher than 8k rpm and that's out on the highway. Its all about having balls and knowing that if you mess up your bike is going to pay the price along with you and you have to be ok with it. Learning how to do wheelies the right way is a good place to start. A lot of it comes from practice and muscle memory. Always cover your brake and when you pop it up for a good while just tap the brake to get that feeling of knowing where you have to push to get the brake to catch. Then at slower speeds wither its first or second gear grab the clutch give gas and pop clutch. Front wheel with lift higher the more gas you give, as a stunter my suggestion is first gear but I know most will do second because the bike doesn't just jet up. Ease into how much gas you give before you pop it to get comfortable with the wheel coming up. Generally tire pressure set at about 20 psi will help so that you can have less side to side action going on. First gear is less than 5mph and second I would say nothing more than 15 or 20, but after doing it for so many years I'm not looking at the speedo anymore as I'm going by feel and sound of the bike. All I can say is good luck, stay safe, wear your gear, cover that brake at all times, and remember that its not if but when you dump the bike.

·
2005 R6
65 Posts
I have yet to have to pop the clutch at anything higher than 8k rpm and that's out on the highway. Its all about having balls and knowing that if you mess up your bike is going to pay the price along with you and you have to be ok with it. Learning how to do wheelies the right way is a good place to start. A lot of it comes from practice and muscle memory. Always cover your brake and when you pop it up for a good while just tap the brake to get that feeling of knowing where you have to push to get the brake to catch. Then at slower speeds wither its first or second gear grab the clutch give gas and pop clutch. Front wheel with lift higher the more gas you give, as a stunter my suggestion is first gear but I know most will do second because the bike doesn't just jet up. Ease into how much gas you give before you pop it to get comfortable with the wheel coming up. Generally tire pressure set at about 20 psi will help so that you can have less side to side action going on. First gear is less than 5mph and second I would say nothing more than 15 or 20, but after doing it for so many years I'm not looking at the speedo anymore as I'm going by feel and sound of the bike. All I can say is good luck, stay safe, wear your gear, cover that brake at all times, and remember that its not if but when you dump the bike.
What's your chain/sprocket setup if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Right now my set up is one down in front and 60 tooth on the rear, but i used to ride stock front and 50 tooth rear and it wasnt much different. Bigger sprocket just means it snaps up a little easier but mainly is for better pull for doing idle wheelies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea no experienced rider is going to ask this of all questions. I've been on the forum for like 8 hours and have seen that question answered already lol. Though i am new to these forums butt also new to the Yamaha life. had a few gixxers got an f4i last year got into stunting and grabbed an r6 this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts