Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... how the hell do you wheelie. I've seen other people do it on other bikes but how well does the R6 do it. I know the concept of popping the clutch and ripping on the throttle is not rocket science, but after seeing a couple people eat it on the web, I kinda wanna know the safe way.

:sheep

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't wheelie because I don't think there is a "safe way" to do it. If I didn't mind crashing my bike and I had a safe place to do it, I'd love to learn to wheelie. But if you try to do any type of stunt, there's more of a chance you'll crash than if you keep both wheels on the pavement.

Not saying you shouldn't wheelie. Just saying "safe" and "wheelie" are kind of a contradiction in terms. Kind of like "What's a safe way for me to light my hamster on fire." ... er, or something like that. :flame

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well, Code makes a good point. There really isn't a safe way to learn other than wearing all your safety gear, and starting off slow and easy.

If you're REALLY wanting to learn to wheelie, you might consider taking all your plastic off, and investing in some frame sliders.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
or just get yourself an old R1 or some piece of shit for cheap that you won't care about beatin the shit out of.

And YES the R6 can stunt like a muthafucka...I was with a guy yesterday who rode stand ups, sitdowns, highchairs, you name it this cat was riddin em yesterday for 220 miles....it was nutz....the guys who were stuntin on their gixxer1000's and R1's were even amazed at how easily the 6 was bringing it up....even the guy who was riding the 6 said it was an awesome bike...but we already knew that...

:worship

·
Registered
504 Posts
Watch your ass cause the balance point on our bikes is really high. and it is easy to give it a lil too much and it's loop city. 900rr and 929rr are the stunt bikes of choice if see a crunchy one cheap pick it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links!!! I'll definitely look into those dvd's. By the way, apparantly there's a new ride out that helps you do controlled wheelies. It supposed to be as real as doing the wheelie yourself with the exception of getting hurt.... Maybe we should start a petition to bring it to Great America or 6 flags.....

http://www.wheelieride.com

:jump

·
Registered
524 Posts
R6_Tweekin said:
Thanks for the links!!! I'll definitely look into those dvd's. By the way, apparantly there's a new ride out that helps you do controlled wheelies. It supposed to be as real as doing the wheelie yourself with the exception of getting hurt.... Maybe we should start a petition to bring it to Great America or 6 flags.....

http://www.wheelieride.com

:jump
Um, warning to anyone at work with speakers, the above link plays the sound of a bike engine. My speakers were kinda loud and the person in the next cubicle thought I had eaten some bad Mexican food.

·
‘18 R6
6 Posts
My advice is to take a class for a couple hundred bucks and practice a lot. Most classes have a wheelie support frame attached to a bike to stop it from falling backwards. It’s like learning with training wheels and a whole lot less expensive than repairing your own bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts