Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to shift from first to second while doing a wheelie, but I can't seem to get it. Does any one have any advice on how to do it right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ive never done it, but id have to say get pretty damn close to or on the balance point, and as your bike is on the rise, jam it into 2nd while barely letting off the gas. most of all, practice... ? for me, its way twitchy in first, and im still to affraid to get it to the balance point.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i havent heard of too many people oing thru gears starting in first....try starting in 2nd then going through the gears......clutchless upshifting is the only way to go......as soon as you pull in the clutch the bike comes back down....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I haven't either. Just thought it would be cool. I have done it by accident but I can't seem to do it again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
gcofieldd said:
Yea, I haven't either. Just thought it would be cool. I have done it by accident but I can't seem to do it again.
Ha, thats how ive done all my first stunts, wheelie and stoppie so far (both did for the first time on accident.)

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
i have seen my friend wheelie a 2000 r6. he does the clutchless shifting. works good for him. he has started a wheelie at 5 mph in first and shifted all 6 gears set down at 140 mph. that is one hell of a wheelie.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
dude shifting is dangerous on a wheelie, the r6 is a great stunt bike and if you get real good at a wheelie you can go as long as you want in 2nd gear! all you gotta do is find the balance point and there will be no need to shift. i know somone who has went down trying to shift, just looking out.
try clutching it in second with your left foot on the left passenger peg and right foot where it usually goes standing up the balance point is MUCH MUCH easier that way.

be careful whatever you do.
:cheers

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I think there is a thread on this topic already, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
I'm not positive I can tell you how to shift a wheelie in words, but I can shift from 1st thru 6th on my back wheel. Shifting is not anymore dangerous than any other kind of wheelie, it just takes practice and excellent throttle/clutch control.

Most of the stunters who do slow one gear wheelies have a HUGE rear sprocket and adjust their gears for stunting. I'm guessing we're talking about a stock geared bike here.

While in a wheelie, if you hit your balance point, you're going to be hitting the brakes. There is a balance/throttle point in which the power of the bike will keep your wheel in the air, while increasing speed only slightly. It's very close to the balance point, but not quite. When you get to this point, you either have to shift, drop the front end down, or lean back to your balance point. If you go a fraction past it, you'll have to brake, or flip over. I choose to do neither of those, which is why I learned to shift.

When I shift in a wheelie, I use my clutch. It doesn't drop the front end down if you do it fast enough. Again, that comes with practice. I use my clutch for balance rather than the brakes. Front end comes up too much, use a bit of clutch. Too far down, use more throttle.

Once you get going in a gear, your RPMs get too high to keep the bike up so you have to shift. It just takes finesse. When you shift, if you nail the throttle like some of you do, you flip over backwards. A little will go a long way.
I don't pay attention to my RPM range, and believe me, if you stop looking at what you're doing and look at the tachometer, you'll flip or drop the front end. It's nearly impossible to look and get in a certain RPM range. You have to go by feel and sound.

Practice wheelies in first gear, leave the front end down a little, and shift. The front will drop to the ground. Next time, give a little more gas, and then a little more until you can shift and keep the front end up a little longer. After you get the feel for it, you will learn how much gas to give it, and how much clutch to apply to bring it back down.

There is no manual for this, you just have to start slow and work your way up.

[/quote]

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
that's good stuff Tex.....I guess I should practice a little more with the clutch.....I can ride em out all the way to redline in first but I get scared when the front comes up in 2nd....I'm goin to start tryin to shift from 1st.....Are you doin sit downs or stand ups is my next question....thanks for the info patna.....

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I do it sitting and standing. (DON'T TRY THIS) but... when I do sit downs, I lock my foot under the brake pedal so I don't fall off. This is how I do one handers. It's also one reason I use the clutch instead of the brake.

Standing up, I either stand on the front pegs, right foot on the rear peg, or I do 2nd gear wheelies with both feet on the rear pegs. (This is how I do one handed stand ups.)

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
one of these days im going to come out there with you again and practice my dam wheelies. been lookin around here for a place to do it but havent found a good one yet :cheers

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I got a friend who does one handed stand ups and he stands on the pegs, he also does a sweet little transition from a tank wheelie to a stand up to a sit down and when he touches down he's doin a buck30, it's pretty dope to see someone come flyin by you at those speeds doin those things but I wouldn't try it....it's the same cat in the video i posted doin a tank wheelie....i got some pretty good footage of him doin wheelies....i wanna get him doin some stoppies....

·
Registered
953 Posts
i did it this morning on my way to work and it scared the shit out of me. i don't know how i did it. i just went fast fast and shifted. i think you need to clutch shift and keep it at high rpms while letting off the clutch. rather quickly but avoiding jerks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Tex thanks alot for the reply. I will start working on it first chance I get. I am just wondering do you wait untill you get close to red line before you shift or is it sooner like around 13 :?:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Hey Tex thanks alot for the reply. I will start working on it first chance I get. I am just wondering do you wait untill you get close to red line before you shift or is it sooner like around 13
Much sooner than redline. I probably shift around 8-9k. The power is too touchy at higher RPM's.

If you were to shift near redline you would be going way too fast by the time you got to 3rd gear. I can go 1st thru 6th and end up around 85-90 MPH.
When I get my bike back I'll try to pay closer attention to my RPM and speed range in each gear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts