Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’m new so hi, now that we have that out of the way I’m trying to figure out if it's worth doing wheelies after seeing the repercussions.. I've got a 2010 r6 that I bought new beginning of August, since then I’ve got around 2200 miles on it and most of the miles riding like an ass. I started riding when i was around 4 and raced motocross for a good bit up in till 2 years ago i broke my back and had my knee replaced. Well having this new toy is like riding a dirt bike on the street just legal though, but I seem to have some problems behaving on the damn thing. I'm a diesel mechanic, I have my CDL and class 7J state inspection license. I lose my license I ain't got a job, I turn wrenches due to that's all I’ve ever came to enjoy and successfully do. So back to the whole wheelie thing, what kind of trouble does one get into for doing these shenanigans? Is it even worth risking the possibility of jail and 4 digit fines? Or does it even go that far with this offense? I live in PA and have some real d-bag cops around my area except for a select few. I'm just looking to see what kind of input I can get and figure out if it's still worth the risk? And yea call me a squid, asshole, or whatever I really don't care. I say that not trying to be an ass but after seeing some posts on this site I just thought I would share my thoughts on that one.
Thanks to anyone with any input.

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
Well first of all welcome.

You should know that 90% of us are gear nazis and prefer to keep the shenanigans off the road. We do have a stunt section for stunt related discussion, and frankly talking about stunts outside of that section will get you flamed.

Now, to your question. If you're not on private property while doing any form of stunting including wheelies you can be arrested for many reasons. They will usually hit you with reckless endangerment, misuse use of a motor vehicle, reckless operation, among several others. Some cops will let you off with a ticket, but just understand they are perfectly capable of placing you under arrest for one of several violations.

Besides that it's just plain not smart to do it on public roads, you can hurt yourself and others. If you're gonna do it... which you are... Just make sure no one is around you, and you're in a place that you can easily be seen when you wreck and lose consciousness so you don't get run over.

·
tall fcukin mutha fcuker
2,751 Posts
welcome. where in PA do you live? we have a ride thats going on this weekend if you want to join as for the wheelies go to some back roads the cops dont go down or on to much just dont be to dumb on it, i drive a truck from Philly to Perth Amboy NJ everyday and i cant have and more them 3 tickets over 3 years so I’m in the same boat you are, i dont pop it up at all but i do speed most of the time only 5 or 10 over but sometimes if its the right road I’m flying so its more of a judgment then anything

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Colin's alter ego?
:lmao

Yo Jay, I dont think we need some NOOB riding wheelies to take one of us out this weekend... Just sayin... I gotta host tht UFC Fight Night Party Saturday night when we get back... Cant wait to ride all day, then come back, grill out, and have some beers! Beer pong anyone?! I've got tables!

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
hello and welcome:wave

no, wheelies on the street are not worth it...especially in your situation, if you lose your license, youre outta job.

But on a totally different note, you and I grew up very similar...been riding since I was 9, raced dirt for years, had a bad accident and broke 2 vertebrae in my back...didnt ride for a few years...but you know as well as I do, riding is in our DNA...ya cant keep us off 2 wheels:fact

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Not one bit. Its a felony charge here. You get cuffed-n-stuffed in the back of a cop car and then the cuffle shuffle to go see the judge
Funny story....bruh..

Me and 2 buddies were riding. Full gear everything and we are usually pretty safe out there but a little fast.

So we stop at a stop sign, I see a cop to the left, so does my other buddy. So we do a FULL stop, like foot down and everything.

The third guy stops, and we all continue. Once we keep going, the third guy decides to pop a wheelie, apparently he didn't see the cop...

Cop flashes us we all pull over and he's like ARE YOU STUPID? The cop is baffled as to why he would do that right in FRONT of him lol...

My buddy just responded, yes - I'm stupid... lol..

Cop was nice and let us go, must have seen we were all geared up and not your usual NY squids...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Welcome Now stop riding like an asshat !!!!!!!!!!!!
Now to your question, Yes you can lose your license, can also get massive fines and have your bike impounded <<(up to the cop on that one.)
Now if you do want to do that shit find an abandoned parking lot to do it in.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Not one bit. Its a felony charge here. You get cuffed-n-stuffed in the back of a cop car and then the cuffle shuffle to go see the judge
DAMN! Really??

I don't know what the deal is in Jersey, but I would imagine you could get reckless driving which is 5 points.. I've been told by people it's loss of license mandatory..

I dunno.. I bet it's up to the cop. My buddy did a wheelie right past a cop and just got a warning too.

·
Ramen-whore
438 Posts
I know in FL they passed a law a few years back that makes it "exhibition driving" and bike gets impounded, and license is gone. Big fine, and I think possible jail time too.

Here in Ohio, it'll just be a wreckless op or failure to control.

·
Sup sup sup sup
1,109 Posts
I don't think you would lose your job if you lost your license. I'm assuming you only need it to test drive the trucks?

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Funny story....bruh..

Me and 2 buddies were riding. Full gear everything and we are usually pretty safe out there but a little fast.

So we stop at a stop sign, I see a cop to the left, so does my other buddy. So we do a FULL stop, like foot down and everything.

The third guy stops, and we all continue. Once we keep going, the third guy decides to pop a wheelie, apparently he didn't see the cop...

Cop flashes us we all pull over and he's like ARE YOU STUPID? The cop is baffled as to why he would do that right in FRONT of him lol...

My buddy just responded, yes - I'm stupid... lol..

Cop was nice and let us go, must have seen we were all geared up and not your usual NY squids...
wtf does my post look like I double spaced it....

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I'm that other 10% that's says wheelie that bitch.

It's fun. Well worth the risk. Just make sure you keep a look out for 1X.

I've ran from the cops once and it was seriously intense. I'll never do that again.

Did some wheelies last night with my new +10 gearing setup. Stupid easy and so much fun.

:werd

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is informative. I didn't know it was illegal.

How much off the ground does the front tire have to be? Like what if you take off too fast accidentally and raise it a foot?

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
I'm that other 10% that's says wheelie that bitch.

It's fun. Well worth the risk. Just make sure you keep a look out for 1X.

I've ran from the cops once and it was seriously intense. I'll never do that again.

Did some wheelies last night with my new +10 gearing setup. Stupid easy and so much fun.

:werd
:thumbdown
Only because I dont know how to wheelie, nor do I want to try lol. I'd be SUPER PISSED if I broke something to learn

·
Ramen-whore
438 Posts
This is informative. I didn't know it was illegal.

How much off the ground does the front tire have to be? Like what if you take off too fast accidentally and raise it a foot?
You kind of have to crank on it for just a power wheelie. You can take off quickly and out accelerate normal traffic just fine without the front end coming up.

If it comes up, it comes up. Chances are you'll get a ticket.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts