Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do I know when to take the next step and how do I get there. What is the cost just to be able to sign up for a race what do I have to do to get to that point. What kind of times would a novice race run at barber. I was at a track day and was running 1:50's low 2's iv only been on the track 2 times and don't want to rush into anything just want to know where I stand in getting to that point. I do plan on taking the Ed Bargy racing class in the near future anyone taken it before or know anything about it? Thanks in advance

·
Suk it, Lee
19,071 Posts
... An interesting way of track day grouping. By year and cc of bike...

Just go fast like Ricky Bobby, and you'll be there in no time.

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patience young grasshopper. Take your 2 track days and multiply by about 20, then you might see how quick the actual racers are. When you're at the track next, watch the level 3, expert, A group, riders. You don't get there in a a couple outings. It takes years.
Is your average novice racer run in a groups at a track day or I group?

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the racing school? Is it worth the money for the knowledge and safety purposes at this point or should I get a little more seat time before i do it? Most all of them that I have seen I can get 2 track days in for the price of a 1 day school.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
What about the racing school? Is it worth the money for the knowledge and safety purposes at this point or should I get a little more seat time before i do it? Most all of them that I have seen I can get 2 track days in for the price of a 1 day school.
I think your best bet would be to do a track day, ask a control rider to follow you around and then ask him what he thinks about your readiness for racing school...IMO without seeing you ride no one here is going to be able to tell you if you are ready.

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much is confidence and cofort in the bump up....im very comfortable where im at in the novice group how ever im not comfortable with other people being around me in fear that they will do something stupid and cost me my bike and injury. Is that something that i need before the bum.p or will that come with time. I fel comfortable with the pace im at now and feel like i am reqady or close to being ready for the increase in speed of the next group iv always heard that running with better people will improve my speed and ability. I feel like im faster and smoother than most others in my group in both times iv been on track i inow its not all about speed but at the same time as oi get faster in the novice im losing out on experinve as im speending more time going slower and waiting on traffi, and people that run wide through a turn and come imediately back to the racing line on exit

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
You usually have to be in the highest group to race. If you are afraid to ride around other people.... how are you going to race them?

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
back in the day there weren't trackday organizations. if you wanted on the track, you signed up to race and cut your teeth on the grid.

personally, these days, i'd recommend at least a full year of trackdays - ~10-15 days. then you should have the basics down pretty well, and could start racing in the novice class. you probably won't be competitive, but the rush - i hear - aint like anything you'll find from a trackday. then seat time will be your best friend. stock bike, good tires, dialed in suspension, and seat time - that's what you need to be a winner. :fact

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
I started riding motorcycles on the street in 2010, I started at the track last fall, did 2 days at Heartland Park and took Jason Pridmore's race school, between those days I got fast enough that I'm running towards the front of Intermediate and the back of an Advanced session's pace. It is possible to progress fast, but it takes a lot of determination to learn the proper way of doing it to keep from spending more time repairing your bike then on the track.

I took what I learned this season and entered a novice race group for first year racers and in my first weekend got a podium. As AGG said, the rush is insane, where passing the guy in front of you in a track day literally means nothing, in a race means everything.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bragging because by no means am I fast in my opinion but, it is not impossible. You have alot to learn between your first track weekend and races. Talk to anyone with experience you can, watch videos like Twist of the Wrist, videos of CSS, and take a rider's school like the STAR School. Take every bit of information and work every minute on the track at applying it while riding at about 70% of your comfort level. Once you're doing it right your personal 70% will get faster and faster.

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You usually have to be in the highest group to race. If you are afraid to ride around other people.... how are you going to race them?
I've never been in the situation where I can stick my elbow out and touch someone next to me so I can't say that I'm afraid of it so I guess it's the thought of it. Is it something that I will get comfortable with the more time I get on track or is it something that I'm gonna just have to let happen and get used to with time.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Patience young grasshopper. Take your 2 track days and multiply by about 20, then you might see how quick the actual racers are. When you're at the track next, watch the level 3, expert, A group, riders. You don't get there in a a couple outings. It takes years.
^THIS! :fact One of the most humbling experiences I have had was riding with level 4 guys! I USED to think I was fast; Now I know I'm slower than a dead snail.

You have a long way to go dude, LONGER than you even think.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
You gotta get over that fear of other riders around you before you ever consider racing. That dash to the first turn gets mighty sketchy. You gotta trust the guy half a ft from you

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^THIS! :fact One of the most humbling experiences I have had was riding with level 4 guys! I USED to think I was fast; Now I know I'm slower than a dead snail.

You have a long way to go dude, LONGER than you even think.
So am I looking at 1 year 5 years or what. I'm not looking to run a full season tomorrow. I'm looking more for the trill of the race and being semi competitive vs the have to win race or a regular track day

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
So am I looking at 1 year 5 years or what. I'm not looking to run a full season tomorrow. I'm looking more for the trill of the race and being semi competitive vs the have to win race or a regular track day
Take a race school if you pass you should get your provisional race license. Then you can try your hand at racing, once you get the rules and bike set up right. Only you can say how long it'll take, we don't know your skill level or how fast you learn

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
OP, does the group you run with have a racing certification class? If they do, they probably require you to be in advanced or the expert group to be eligible for the class.

Find out their program and go through it.

When are you ready?? When everyone asks you if you're gonna be racing with them in June or whatever the next race weekend is. When you're an advanced pace rider and are comfortable 3 wide, improvising your lines cause someone is next to you and that was where your turn in spot is. When u feel you have the skill.

My TD org runs mock race starts to graduate the students. If they do that, and u don't mind flying at turn 1 with 40 other bikes all over and around you then maybe you're ready.

It can take one season. It can take 2 or 4. Everyone progresses differently.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts