Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
STUGOTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I saw somewhere on the forum that after the first 50 to
100 miles I should change the oil and filter.
Is this right? It said that on a bike with zero miles on it to do so,
sounds kinda soon to me but hey, better to ask you guys with all your knowledge.

Also, one more thing. I've tried the search button to get an answer on how to do the oil and filter change myself but, it keeps sending me to Google.
Any help on both questions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i personally don't think there's an advantage to changing your oil at 100 miles. follow the oil change intervals outlined in the owner's manual. it will also give instructions on how to change the oil. i recommend getting the fitted oil filter wrench to remove the factory filter. don't use it to install the filter, tho...

s3aturnr

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Just change it if you're concerned.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
50-100 miles is just waisting money. Follow the owners manual and make the first oil change at the recommended oil change interval. After that buy quality name brand oil and enjoy riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Manual say 600. Like 90% of the topics on here you'll hear 100 different answers for what people think so it's really up to you. I have a 2013, did it at 450 when I was already in there doing other stuff. I used semi-synthetic, but I really feel like you can go with whatever oil you want (since that's probably your next question). Bike runs fine, but you do want to do it around that 600 mark, the 3k in the quote above is for after this first change at 600.

For the how to, go to youtube and do a search there. That's basically where I learned how to do 1/2 the stuff on the 6

·
Respect your bike.
22 Posts
I did first oil change at 600 miles give or take, dont really remember. I used Yamalube and Yamaha oil filter. At 1300 miles, checked the oil, it was black. Changed to Motul full synthetic oil and K&N oil filter. Sooo much smoother. You can actually feel it. Gonna check it again to see if the oil is still red. My friend did the same on 2013 Team Yamaha R1. He beats his bike hard, oil still red.

·
Hello
527 Posts
I did the first change on mine before the 600 recommended service as well. I just didn't like the idea of any metal shavings circulating around in there if not necessary. This is my personal thought and as stated, you will find many opinions on the subject manner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts