Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Planning to do my own oil change on my 07 R6 soon. I had the dealership do the 600 mile inspection / oil change and i'm getting close to 4000. So...is it a good time to switch over to fully synthetic oil now? And I'm guessing the same applies for the bikes like cars ... once you go synthetic, you can't go back to conventional oil, right?

Also, (noob question) I just changed the oil in my car with Mobile 1 5W-30 Synthetic oil ... can that be used on the bike also? or is there specific oil for motorcycles?

For filter I plan to go with K&N 204 ... the one with 17mm nut for easy access =)

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
I went synth at 3000k with the kn-303 (i have an 05). I use amsoil 10w40 fully synth. I'm not sure about the "can't go back" theory but what do I know.

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
Every bike, new or used, I have changed to syntheic, from the factory there is still bits of machining left and have changed the oil with less then 10 miles or ASAP. Never had any problems.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i've always bought used bikes and switched to synthetic immediately no matter how the miles were. with this R6 since it was less than 3k i deiced to stick yama lube, and i have not noticed a difference.

i might go synthetic on the next oil change though i'm not sure. I have always herb once you switch there is no turning back.

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
You should have at least 3000 miles before making the switch from dino oil to synthetic oil witch you do so no worries.

Once you switch to synthetic oil you can switch back to dino oil at anytime however, you cannot mix the two oils together.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
get oil motorcycle...don't use the one for cars. 10w40...whichever brand you prefer. oil is like politics, to each his own.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
use yamalube...the best lube for yamaha's:fact

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I personally recommend NOT using K&N oil filters. (Auto tech for Audi dealership) We've had a bunch of oil pressure issues on cars that have had K&N oil filters. Switch filters and the oil pressure returns to normal. This IS on cars, but I wouldn't imagine their cycle filters being any different. On my cars, I only use WIX filters. But you can't go wrong with MFG specific.... Yamaha filters in our case here. Just FYI

·
Mmm Hmmm
104 Posts
They make it just for bikes, and yes you can go back. I ran synthetic once in my R1 and hated it, made the clutch slip. I switched back and never had any problems. I've always just used the yamalube.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just to clear up a few myths in this thread. You can swap back and forth between dino and synthetic. Some engines come from the factory with synthetic in them so break in is not an issue and all the synthetics that I am aware of can be mixed with other oils.
george
ADG

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
yamalube is basically oil from the company that bid lowest for the contract. to each their own with oil. everyone swears by something different.

the only major thing you need to do is keep your oil clean. don't be lazy with those changes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts