Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '05 R6 and want to make sure I take care of it. When do you guys recommend getting front/rear stands for it? I have heard that if it sits for a while the tires can start to bulge from the constant weight on the bike, is that true? If so, how long does it take for that to happen and where would I be able to get some decent stands for not too much at?

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
If your bike will be sitting on the cold garage floor (or equivilant) for long periods of time I would recommend parking it on newspaper or towels maybe, to cut down on the moisture. I would also recommend moving it around once a week (few inches foward, few back).

UNLESS, you are going to buy stands, they have more uses than just preventing bald spots. Opinions are going to vary, but I got a set of Handy Stands from www.handyindustries.com. I didn't really need a front stand, but the front/rear universal set was only $100 (rear was $70 by itself). If you get stands I would strongly recommend getting bobbin support in the rear as opposed to the pad support. You'll then need a set of spools ($15).

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
front and rear stands come in really handy at times. first off you need it when you remove the wheels for tire replacement. the rear is good for the routine maintenance of cleaning and waxing your chain. both stands are also good when you clean and polish your wheels.

i wrench for a living and like to do everything myself. i bought pitt-bulls. i got the combo rear (spooled and under the swing arm) and the front stand that goes under the triple. it dont really matter what brand you buy, it just good to know its there when you need it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
front and rear stands come in really handy at times. first off you need it when you remove the wheels for tire replacement. the rear is good for the routine maintenance of cleaning and waxing your chain. both stands are also good when you clean and polish your wheels.

i wrench for a living and like to do everything myself. i bought pitt-bulls. i got the combo rear (spooled and under the swing arm) and the front stand that goes under the triple. it dont really matter what brand you buy, it just good to know its there when you need it.
:stupic

You shouldn't get 'bulges' or flat spots on your tires unless it is sitting for a very very long time and lack of inflation does this too. Before I had stands, if I knew my bike was going to sit for a very long time, I would over inflate the tires to help prevent this. Just remember to let some air out before you ride. I wouldn't waste time getting stands though. There are a lot of good products for good prices out there. They are worth the money. Make sure you do your research though.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Darkangel said:
I wouldn't waste time getting stands though.
?

Stands are VERY nice to have. Out of all the BS you could buy for your bike, stands would definitely not be one of them. From washing the bike, changing the oil, lubing the chain, tucking the bike up against the wall to make some room, etc., etc., bike stands are good stuff. Bike stands are probably the best thing I've bought in the "bike department" (besides the bike :mrgreen:).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a front stand, rear stand and also a bike lift that I use all of the time. From oil changes to chaning out my street plastic to my race plastic. Also, if you plan on taking your bike to the track and you get Chicken Hawks or any other type of tire warmers, you are going to need a front and rear stand. They are a great investment and you are going to realize that you are going to use it more often then you thought. Plus, you can charge your buddy a six pack to use your stands since the chances are they don't have any. Front/Rear stands are highly recommended.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
I too give a big :cheers to getting stands. I need to get one, but there are tons of things that I need to get too.

Anyways, if your planning on doing any work (including cleaning) I would suggest getting at least a rear stand. It makes everything 100x easier...

·
Registered
112 Posts
NoLegs said:
Darkangel said:
I wouldn't waste time getting stands though.
?

Stands are VERY nice to have. Out of all the BS you could buy for your bike, stands would definitely not be one of them. From washing the bike, changing the oil, lubing the chain, tucking the bike up against the wall to make some room, etc., etc., bike stands are good stuff. Bike stands are probably the best thing I've bought in the "bike department" (besides the bike :mrgreen:).
Okay, maybe I should rephrase that. "I wouldn't waste 'any' time getting stands.... get them right away :mrgreen:

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Darkangel said:
Okay, maybe I should rephrase that. "I wouldn't waste 'any' time getting stands.... get them right away :mrgreen:
My bad, I completely read that wrong. I read it as "It is a waste of time getting stands", but what you were saying say "Don't waste time, get some stands, now."

It's all good. :cheers

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Heck, I am on my bike at least weekly, even inthe cold season for one reason or another, even if it is to go across the street for smokes or something....and I still keep it on stands when I can. I just like walking in the garage and seeing it all propped up, looking SEXY as HELL!

As for working on them, you can't beat it. Stands make everything easier.

·
Registered
112 Posts
yoda said:
Heck, I am on my bike at least weekly, even inthe cold season for one reason or another, even if it is to go across the street for smokes or something....and I still keep it on stands when I can. I just like walking in the garage and seeing it all propped up, looking SEXY as HELL!

As for working on them, you can't beat it. Stands make everything easier.
:stupic Oh yes...After she sits on stands, you never want to see her leaned over on the kick stand again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, I don't know about how soon you will need them, but I bought a pit bull rear stand immediately. I also plan to purchase the front stand before the end of the upcoming season. I'll probably buy the stand about the time I decide to get a new set of tires so I can easily remove the wheels myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts