Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a fairly new rider and brand new to this forum but I have a question as it happened last night. So there I am riding down the highway when I see a small group of about 4-5 riders. Its a two laner and I was in the left, well there was a big gap in between the rear two and the front two granted I don't actually know if they were riding together since they all got off different exits. Anyway I jumped into the middle of the group because I felt it would be safer for me. I just wanted to know your opinions on this and what the road rules say about joining a group ride when you aren't part of it.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I've been with a group and had riders tag along. They usually just follow from behind the group. That would be the more normal thing to do.

But most importantly, you don't know these people. So you should have ridden in the back. Maybe they are awful riders. To be safe about it if you ride in the back nobody can rear end you.

When I ride with my good friends and we all ride often, we know what each other will do. When and where they will pass etc.

So if you jumped in the middle of my group, one or two of us most likely would have buzzed you on a straight etc.

Plus, maybe these guys in front ride smart and they point out potholes or road debris with their feet as they go passed it and that can help you too.

Plus, in the back you'd feel less likely to keep up and get in over your head potentially

:YEA

·
Harlequinn
284 Posts
The best thing you could have done as a solo rider, is slap some backs as you ride past, split the group right down the middle, pull up in the front of the pack and wheelie your way into your new found leadership glory. ;)

Or, typically, I'll just offer a thumbs up if I like what they're riding and continue about my biz.

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
i would not join a group. You have no idea how they ride and if they start doing something stupid you're in danger or guilty by association if they get caught.

Pass or stay behind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies both serious and funny I really appreciate it. Yeah I get what you guys are saying, it was a road I was unfamiliar with and at the time they were doing the speed limit so I felt safer being with them. But thinking about it now I would probably stray away from ever doing this again because of the reasons you guys have provided.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
i would not join a group. You have no idea how they ride and if they start doing something stupid you're in danger or guilty by association if they get caught.

Pass or stay behind.
I might be the bad example and get all of them in trouble.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
never just go in the middle of the formation...either stay in the back or pass them safely...some people will wanna kick you if you do that fyi

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I always pull up to one rider and slap his kill switch to turn his bike off. Breaks the ice
I prefer to kick off one of their mirrors. You know, just like everyone says your first day in prison, knock out the biggest dude there so you're not anyone's bitch. Kicking in the mirror says you're the alpha male of the riding group. :hammer

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't get in the middle. I would follow in the back.

If i'm on the freeway and splitting lanes, I will usually tag along with any other bikers as long as they aren't going above my skill level or splitting lanes at 5 mph like those cruisers. I figure it increases my visibility as they expect a motorcycle coming after they see one usually.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I typically wheelie by the group and stare and the leader in the process.

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
I avoid other groups. If it's sport bikes and they come up on me I'll usually pull over and let them go if I'm just out riding easy (if it's a 2 lane road). If I come up on a group (usually cruisers), if I know the road and how long I may be stuck behind them, I will pass them at the safest place and get out of dodge. I don't normally blend in with other groups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts