Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard most people say that the first inspection/tune/oil change should be done within the first 1000 miles, or 600 miles preferrably. I also heard that it is good to do all this within the first 50 miles because that is when the motor is really prone?

And the dealership is telling me i should get a full inspection, (valve adjustments, chain lube, oil filter and whatnot) that will run me around 300 dollars. But i spoke with some bike mechanics, and they said i don't need to worry about that until 14k. They recommended a regular oil change. BASICALLY my r6 is at 750 miles, havent serviced it yet, and I wanna keep my baby running for life! suggestions?:nocontrol

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
psh

change the oil when you get it home. ride it like you stole it for 100 miles. change the oil, ride it like you stole it. the real point is to keep the rev's ALL over the place, no freeway riding.

my buddy got an 08, went home changed the oil and the next day we went to the track where he redline'd it all day long. got back and changed the oil again, and we went back out to thunderhil for 3 days in a row. i think he has just barely hit 600 miles on the odo. all of them track miles. bike run's like a champ.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Change the oil and do your TCLOCS every time you ride. Well at least that is all I plan on doing. I have two yamaha ATV's with 10K on them. Yamaha builds them tough!

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
Still breaking mine in. I ride on the highway but my RPM's and speed are all over the place. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well my bike has 150 miles on it and I think I am going to do the full inspection because the starter on it seems funky. Also I think its a good idea to get all the recommended things done cause the bike is new and stuff loosens before it gets fully warn into place. Who knows though, this is my first bike and i have no idea whats going on as far as maintenacne and the start/ignition on mine. It seems to turn over a lot after sitting for 3-4 days.

·
dodging cars on my R6
708 Posts
I just hit the 600 mile marker last night. I was debating if I should do the servicing or take it in for the first one. I was going to do it but am leaning towards the shop doing so they will hopefully check other things out as well, or notice if something is not right.

How about you fellas, do it yourself or take it to the shop?

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
change oil, adjust/lube chain, adjust throttle/clutch cables and ride on.
the 600 mile service is a joke, the dealer just rapes ya.

no need to do anything internal until around 15k, and thats just a valve adjustment.
most bikes are still within spec at that mileage too.

i recommend switching to a full synthetic oil like Amsoil, Repsol, Motul, Motorex, etc at this time also.

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
change oil, adjust/lube chain, adjust throttle/clutch cables and ride on.
the 600 mile service is a joke, the dealer just rapes ya.

no need to do anything internal until around 15k, and thats just a valve adjustment.
most bikes are still within spec at that mileage too.

i recommend switching to a full synthetic oil like Amsoil, Repsol, Motul, Motorex, etc at this time also.
Valves don't get adjusted until 26K on the 08 models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Best way to do it is get the service manual for the specific bike, do what it says to yourself, saves you a ton of cash. And ride the crickers out of it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ive got a little over 6000 miles on my 07...changed my oil at 600, then again at 1000. then 2000, and then 4000...then 5000 i believe??? i dont know i have it written in the book lol non synthetic

·
Ridin it
17 Posts
i got my first service done couple days ago at a buddy's race shop... i had 750miles on it and finally got it done... he checked everything out for me and it ends up my forks were actually uneven?!? one side was higher than the other... i knew there was something wrong too cuz whenever i'd make right turns i'd have to lean like a mofo... even from a stop... i'd say get everything checked esp if u dont know what ur gonna do... for the first 600 its best to have a pro check it... imma do my own oil and filter changes now though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive got a little over 6000 miles on my 07...changed my oil at 600, then again at 1000. then 2000, and then 4000...then 5000 i believe??? i dont know i have it written in the book lol non synthetic
thats alot of oil changes.... do you really think its necessary?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I change my oil every 3,000 miles personally...

Bought the bike with 7,500 on it, so i'm not sure what the owner did previously in the break-in period.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
the 4000-5000 was because it sat for a while...about 3 weeks maybe..

its not necessary, but it makes me feel better.
so u know, oil doesnt go bad like milk.^

i change my oil/filter every 2 trackdays w/ Repsol racing 4t 100% synthetic.
when i rode it on the street i changed it every 2500 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts