Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WTF?
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched here and else where for hours last night and came up with nearly nothing on set up choice.

Since switching to the R6 I'm going quicker and I love the bike, but my body position is terrible and I'm having a hard time getting lower. I'm way more on top of the bike than in it. I'm about 5 10" with long torso and shorter legs. If I put my rear sets all the way back and in the middle of height, I buy myself some much needed room in the cockpit to actually get in a tuck. However, then I'm not making good contact with the tank and my inner thigh and I feel as if I will literally fall off the bike if I get off the side any more. It also beats my knees up having so little leg on the tank. I need to freaking stretch, but for right now I need help getting my shoulder and head lower into the corner and until I physically sort out the bike so that I feel anchored to it enough to get farther of the side, it getting worse trying to compensate.

Anyway, I'm going to change some ergos around and spend a little time playing with that at the next track day.

Last night I moved the rear sets forward a notch to hook my leg into the tank better and spaced my (previously flush) clip ons to 10mm down from the bottom of the triple. I have more room and was considering another 10mm.

So, how tall are you and how do you guys like your set up? I ride an 06 and use vortex rear sets and clip ons. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
To simplify things, your clip ons and rear sets need to be adjusted to where you're comfortable. I adjusted my clip ons out more so I can get my elbow out more. If you bring your elbow down, naturally your upper body (including shoulder and head) should lower as well. Keep playing around with them until you feel comfortable.

·
WTF?
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the plan. I was looking for other peoples baselines so that I didn't go too far in the wrong direction. If I get the clip ons too low then I can change the handling, which can be compensated for…but thats a whole different can of worms. Besides, you promised when I bought these Shermoto levers that I would be able to drag my elbow. :D

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I have been messing with my rearsets the last few weeks. I have the Gilles adjustable ones. I am the same height as you and what I have found that works best for me is forward and in the middle. The puts my legs into the contour of the tank. Dave Moss has a video, but it's with GSX-R. Should be the same concept though.

My clip ons are pushed out, but that's just preference. Now, I just have to figure how far I want to the bar to extend from the clip on. I run into the problem of the MC nipple hitting the fairing stay...drives my crazy.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
That's the plan. I was looking for other peoples baselines so that I didn't go too far in the wrong direction. If I get the clip ons too low then I can change the handling, which can be compensated for…but thats a whole different can of worms. Besides, you promised when I bought these Shermoto levers that I would be able to drag my elbow. :D
I can guarantee you can drag elbow.... but I can't guarantee if you'll be on the bike or off :bowroll

True story

I have been messing with my rearsets the last few weeks. I have the Gilles adjustable ones. I am the same height as you and what I have found that works best for me is forward and in the middle. The puts my legs into the contour of the tank. Dave Moss has a video, but it's with GSX-R. Should be the same concept though.

My clip ons are pushed out, but that's just preference. Now, I just have to figure how far I want to the bar to extend from the clip on. I run into the problem of the MC nipple hitting the fairing stay...drives my crazy.
Same with mine so I adjusted it a little back

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Adjust the rearsets so your knee is in the tank easily. Adjust the clipons out from the tank/forward more for less angle in your right wrist. Adjust them as best you can to achieve this while not allowing the brake lever to hit the fairing stay or headlights.

The idea is move the bars wider for wider shoulders, better leverage, etc. Then push them forward to relieve the pressure on your right wrist.

After you know this, it's a battle to get clearance for the brake, or to clear bodywork, fairing stays, etc. So there's no right or wrong setup. It all depends on the setup of the bike. Whether it has a brembo MC on it, or if it's got headlights, etc.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Adjust the rearsets so your knee is in the tank easily. Adjust the clipons out from the tank/forward more for less angle in your right wrist. Adjust them as best you can to achieve this while not allowing the brake lever to hit the fairing stay or headlights.

The idea is move the bars wider for wider shoulders, better leverage, etc. Then push them forward to relieve the pressure on your right wrist.

After you know this, it's a battle to get clearance for the brake, or to clear bodywork, fairing stays, etc. So there's no right or wrong setup. It all depends on the setup of the bike. Whether it has a brembo MC on it, or if it's got headlights, etc.
I rode a stock R6 this weekend and was amazed at how uncomfortable the stock positioning is after having my clip ons pushed far forward. Just moving the clip ons forward forces your body lower, and makes it a lot easier to get your bp correct... or more correct than before.

·
WTF?
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much space below the bottom of the triple tree are you guys putting your clip ons? I've never had a stock R6 so I have no margin of reference. Mine came to me track prepped.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Had the same question. Good info. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Dirt track racing!
1,982 Posts
How much space below the bottom of the triple tree are you guys putting your clip ons? I've never had a stock R6 so I have no margin of reference. Mine came to me track prepped.
Pretty sure it is something like 10mm. I remember using something like that as a reference to make sure both sides matched.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,448 Posts
I wish I could move my clipons forward. I think mine is pretty much stock position... Any more forward and lever hits the fairing stay. I have Sato rearsets and I have my pegs set eight in the middle. When I first installed it had it middle bottom, then moved it up one, and then up to the highest middle. Didn't like it at the highest point at all, moved it back to the middle which for me is the best. You just gotta fiddle with it and adjust and see what's best for you

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I wish I could move my clipons forward. I think mine is pretty much stock position... Any more forward and lever hits the fairing stay. I have Sato rearsets and I have my pegs set eight in the middle. When I first installed it had it middle bottom, then moved it up one, and then up to the highest middle. Didn't like it at the highest point at all, moved it back to the middle which for me is the best. You just gotta fiddle with it and adjust and see what's best for you
lower your clip ons a bit and they will be able to adjust forward more

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never having had a bike with aftermarket clip-ons, this is a great thread. I'm probably going to change to clip-ons on my new bike as a result as I am ok but not super comfy and the stock bars can't be moved much it seems.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts