Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question I know, but i need to charge it because its dead and I have 4 people wanting to look at it and possibly buy it tomorrow. I cannot seem to find it!!? Is there a pic or diagram online?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im screwed! i took of all the side panels first before i got your answer, i checked the manual on how to take off the seat, u guys said it was under it, BUT i cannot remove the bolts? they arent even bolts, I need some sort of allen wrench but even thhat wouldnt work, it is a circle inside and out, i tried wrench, vice-grips, screw drivers, i cannot unscrew them. how am i supposed to charge the battery now? What sort of tool with remove those things!?

·
Registered
419 Posts
if they are circles in and out they are probably stripped. If so you just need to go get some easy outs from your local hardware store and remove the stripped bolts and replace them with new ones.

You can charge the battery without removeing the battery how ever you will have to remove the seat to do so.

Easy outs work in conjunction with a drill. You get bits and the easy out in a set. You drill into the stripped screw or bolt then you insert the easy out tool into the fresh new hole. When you turn the Easy out tool it will put pressure to turn the stripped screw/bolt. Then just go to a Yamaha dealer and get replacements.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The allen bolt is stipped from the inside? If it is you can drill it out, to remove the seat, but then you'll need to buy replacement bolts. Or have somebody push you and push start it, ride it around for a while, then park it and try to start it. If your batt. is not that far gone, this might work. Was the bike sitting for a while?

Also, that bolt is pretty standard, you could probably find it at home depot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It hasnt been started for about 2 months..but the lights are on very dim, no horn, no start. They aren't stripped, they are just circles, they have never been removed, all the bolts are still intact and look fine, but for the seat, its a circle with little grips on the outside and for the insid where i tried a screw driver is a poor pentagon, 5 sides but barely, it looks like a circle.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
sounds to me like the guy u bought it from took that seat off quite abit. get some screw removers for it and they should come out pretty good. i wouldnt drill em cause gettin the threaded part out will be a bitch and if u do youll probably screw somethin up

·
Registered
443 Posts
loki1313 said:
sounds to me like the guy u bought it from took that seat off quite abit. get some screw removers for it and they should come out pretty good. i wouldnt drill em cause gettin the threaded part out will be a bitch and if u do youll probably screw somethin up
Ahhh, good point loki, i forgot about the threaded part.. Dammit, your right again :mrgreen: I'm used to drilling out locks. :cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they aren't stripped though, you look at it and its like a circle, there is no indication of damage to it except for what i did to it trying to get it off.

What was that part about jump starting it while pushing it? I used to do that with dirtbike, bit i cant simply push this bike down a hill, jump on it and push the starter button??

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Dvs1 said:
loki1313 said:
Ahhh, good point loki, i forgot about the threaded part.. Dammit, your right again :mrgreen: I'm used to drilling out locks. :cheers
hahaha i am never wrong, because i am the forum god :mrgreen:

or at least the son of the forum god, come on give me some kinda credit, please :mrgreen:

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
go to sears and get a craftsman set, they will be small drill bit lookin things, if u have to ask the salesman for some help. craftsman has better ones anyways. ive used a few different ones and theirs have worked better :cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
trips, pardon my french, but what fucking year bike do you have?????????
that is like the single most important piece of info you can provide. i think that me and the other guys are assuming a 99-03 R6 b/c before that then you got a Genisis and a whole nother problem. these bolts you speak of sound stripped. and you don't have to be mechanically inclined to handled a stripped bolt. craftsman just came out with a new "Easy Out" kit that would handle a stripped allen bolt. you sound like you know what an allen looks like so now we're on to a new topic :eek:t
this topic starts with "Some Jerk did a mod to the bike and didn't know JACK......" and this is a common problem where some Ol' Scho'er gave a newbie advice on doing a mod and fooked up the bike. seriously, you walk into any Tru Value hardware store and they'll sell you a bolt you can torque into any hole (no pun intended). trip-zee, i wish you the best of luck with that batt and seat but be careful before strippin' and rippin' bolts. and yes you can push start your bike. :flame

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
triplethreatz said:
What was that part about jump starting it while pushing it? I used to do that with dirtbike, bit i cant simply push this bike down a hill, jump on it and push the starter button??
try that in second. make sure the kill switch is in the run position, the key is on and don't use the started to do it. use the clutch.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
triplethreatz said:
what about pushing it and trying? Like I said, the lights come on very dim but nothing else so there is a smal small amount of juice in the battery
well if your going to do that use second gear. but this may not work, your battery may just be outta juice permanently

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im mechanically inclined, trust me, but this is my first bike, its a 2001 r6 champions edition, and I know it sounds like it is stripped but sure doesnt look it, the person who had it before did not do any mods or anything, its stock, but could have charged the battery as well but they are on there extremely tight, But im calling a bike shop tomorrow morning which is right down the street to see if they can help me out, if not ill go to home depot..

one of the people coming to look at it and possibly buy it is a dealer who probably wouldnt be thrilled if it wont even start.

the first thing i will try is putting it in second gear, roll it down the drive way and pop the clutch to see if they starts it, if not ill find anothr way.

thaknks for all the help.

·
Registered
443 Posts
R6RoadWarrior said:
trips, pardon my french, but what fucking year bike do you have?????????
that is like the single most important piece of info you can provide. i think that me and the other guys are assuming a 99-03 R6 b/c before that then you got a Genisis and a whole nother problem. these bolts you speak of sound stripped. and you don't have to be mechanically inclined to handled a stripped bolt. craftsman just came out with a new "Easy Out" kit that would handle a stripped allen bolt. you sound like you know what an allen looks like so now we're on to a new topic :eek:t
this topic starts with "Some Jerk did a mod to the bike and didn't know JACK......" and this is a common problem where some Ol' Scho'er gave a newbie advice on doing a mod and fooked up the bike. seriously, you walk into any Tru Value hardware store and they'll sell you a bolt you can torque into any hole (no pun intended). trip-zee, i wish you the best of luck with that batt and seat but be careful before strippin' and rippin' bolts. and yes you can push start your bike.

Dude, well I guess I must be the Ol' Scho'er. I think the guy is smart enough to make his own decision. I was merely trying to help out and give the guy some options. I thought thats why we are all here, to learn and give a helping hand.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The bike not starting might not be a deal-breaker for a dealer, he will know how to take the seat off.

Although your bolts dont look stripped they probably are. Think about it, have you ever seen bolts that have no means for removal with any sort of tool? It just doesnt make sense.

Unless they are some type of security bolt or quick release that you cant figure out...they are probably stripped.

Also, if you push start it, the battery probably wont just charge itself up, the system is not intended to work that way. The only way to charge the battery is to remove the seat, and plug the battery in to a Battery Tender (trickle charger)

Good luck...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts