Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike has a slip on already, i would like to get a header for it... not for more power, but for sound. i really like the way it sounds now. i think its a leo vance or something like that on there now, and its mean. can anyone give me some links to stores that sell header only, full exhaust is ok too, cause my pipe is scraped up from the crash last night. whats the cheapest as well?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Hammy can get you whatever it is you desire. Email him (click on his link on the main page) or PM him here, hammy_the_can_man

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think yamaha gytr sells just the header, and it will line up with your slip on, others may not.Athough i think a guy on r6 messagenet had a micron slip on with a hindle header

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You're not going to notice any sound differences with the addition of a header. But yes, Gyt-r makes a header that a stock slip-on will fit onto......so any aftermarket slip-on would fit it.

That is for 99-02, not sure if GYT makes just a header for '03-'04

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, does the stock header flow well enough or something? generally you will notice a sound difference on a car. i know this isnt a car but i was hoping for a sound increase. how does it give more power then?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think it gives some different back pressure and flow characteristics.

From what I have heard, aftermarket full systems will sacrifice a little low end power in exchange for some more peak HP. Not exactly what you want on the street.

As far as I could tell, the Akra slip-on and full systems that I have heard sounded about the same. Someone else with more experience could tell you about other exhausts.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Basically the way teh stock systems are designed is for fit/finish, and the slip-on or canister does most the work.

Aftermarkets basically do it backwards. Headers do a majority of controlling back pressure and the canister allows the header to flow correctly. By using stepped/ tappered headers, tuners control to some degree how much and how fast exhaust is can breath. On four strokes exhaust systems are designed in relation to your intake and valvetrain etc.. to match the flow.

I think you guys understand it......i'm gonna quit before i get into comparing 4stroke to 2stroke and why they both work kinda in the same ways in relation to backpressure etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts