Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, husband is looking for a good track bike at a good price. I've looked at our local track provider forums, NESBA classifieds, Craigslist and even this forum. Any other places to look for one?

I know now isn't the best season, but we're still looking.

Thanks!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not really sure what your looking for. Does he want an already made, track bike? Budget? Size or models he is interested in?

For me, this is what i did. I looked for a good deal on a street bike on Craigslist or on a forum ( found a mint 2006 R6r, 3500 miles for about $4500 two winters ago on CL ), sell all the street body work on a related forum ( i made almost $1500 selling off the oem bodywork and other street parts ) and then slapped on some track bodywork, track tires and some rear sets and called it a day. Two years later, i have updated the suspension and brakes and now I have a more capable track toy.

I personally would never buy somebodies already made track bike. I would rather get a street bike that has ( more than likely ) been abused way less......and then convert it to a track bike.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what's he after, and what's the budget??

oh, and hai! :)
Any 600, less than 8 years old, pre made track bike with some extras. Preferably able to be ridden on street, but not a requirement.

O HAI!!!! :D

Not really sure what your looking for. Does he want an already made, track bike? Budget? Size or models he is interested in?

For me, this is what i did. I looked for a good deal on a street bike on Craigslist or on a forum ( found a mint 2006 R6r, 3500 miles for about $4500 two winters ago on CL ), sell all the street body work on a related forum ( i made almost $1500 selling off the oem bodywork and other street parts ) and then slapped on some track bodywork, track tires and some rear sets and called it a day. Two years later, i have updated the suspension and brakes and now I have a more capable track toy.

I personally would never buy somebodies already made track bike. I would rather get a street bike that has ( more than likely ) been abused way less......and then convert it to a track bike.
Street bikes are more likely than track bikes to be "abused." But that's a viable option. Just not at the top of our list.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Time = money

I would gladly buy someones track bike if it had all the components on it/work done I want. I have $5k in my bike just converting it to race ready. Street bikes see far more abuse (lots of idling, heat cycling, inclement weather, cold starts, etc) than race bikes. Plus race bikes are routinely inspected/teched at every event. Plus the fact that race/track bikes have to consider the 1-50 other riders that will be ontrack with them.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
hope you guys had fun yesterday. today was a blast, too. next time you come out he can try the "race prepped" 600 to see if he likes it... :D

s3aturnr

·
Registered
93 Posts
A pre made bike can be an awesome deal, for the same cost you can get some amazing aftermarket parts way below what it would cost you to put it together yourself.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1......that is one of the bennefits of buying a track prepped bike. You can usually get a few more tid bits on the bike for less than it would cost you to do it yourself by going out and building a track bike.

Time = money

I would gladly buy someones track bike if it had all the components on it/work done I want. I have $5k in my bike just converting it to race ready. Street bikes see far more abuse (lots of idling, heat cycling, inclement weather, cold starts, etc) than race bikes. Plus race bikes are routinely inspected/teched at every event. Plus the fact that race/track bikes have to consider the 1-50 other riders that will be ontrack with them.

wouldn't most bikes that are track bikes fall into this category.....menaing, at one point, they were once street bikes that became track / race bikes? Out of the 20+ people i know who track ride and or race, only about 5 of them bought their bikes brand spankin new.....the rest have all purchased used bikes ( some street and some track ready ). My point is, every track bike is riden hard, very hard and redlined......all day long. Most guys i know who ride the street, dont go to redline as much as we do on the track.....and if they do, its not nearly as often. Seems like most riders ( track or street ) baby their bikes. If not, its pretty easy to tell when you go to purchase one. That being said, buying a used bike could be a crap shoot, i just feel that a used street bike, with low miles and that is in mint condition ( visually and mechanically ) is a safer bet than a well used track bike. I guess if the track bike has receipts to accompany the engine refreshes, rebuilds, never been down and so on would leave one at ease in terms of mechanical condition.

I guess in my eyes, if you buy a low milage, mint condition street bike and convert it.......you have a better chance of getting a "pre-beaten on" machine.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
wouldn't most bikes that are track bikes fall into this category? Out of the 20+ people i know who track ride and or race, only about 5 of them bought their bikes brand spankin new.....the rest have all purchased used bikes ( some street and some track ready ). My point is, every track bike is riden hard, very hard and redlined......all day long. Most guys i know who ride the street, dont go to redline as much as we do on the track.....and if they do, its not nearly as often. Seems like most riders ( track or street ) baby their bikes. If not, its pretty easy to tell when you go to purchase one. That being said, buying a used bike could be a crap shoot, i just feel that a used street bike, with low miles and that is in mint condition ( visually and mechanically ) is a safer bet than a well used track bike. I guess if the track bike has receipts to accompany the engine refreshes, rebuilds and so on would leave one at ease in terms of mechanical condition.
well when buying a used race bike... first thing Id ask for is a "log book".
As for condition... it takes me 2-4 hours getting ready for a round/track day. Thats alot of alone time changing tires, brakes, fluids, etc.

street bikes... well um I see lots of them. Chains are never lubed, axles are he-man over torqued, wheels barely spin, brake fluid looks like coffee, coolant mixture too rich, etc.

Like I said, time = money. Im looking at new bikes now. Sure I can go buy a new 1k for ~$13k. Then Im looking at a few days of studying/reading, removing, prepping, etc. Can almost guarantee someone will be selling a nice bike for ~$10-$13k very soon.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
it's a crap shoot either way. the trick is to find a track-only bike that's got a well documented history. as in, friends and other riders have seen it at the track, know if it's been down and how many times and have an idea of how general maintenance and stuff was dealt with.

buying a street bike and converting it is EXPENSIVE and very time consuming. i know this because i've done it. if you buy used, you may get a pretty bike with molasses in the forks and shock because during all the years that the street fairings were being polished and rubbed with a diaper, the original fork oil has been festooning inside the forks and for some unknown reason, the seals just haven't started leaking.

buying a track bike could also be a nightmare. especially if you can't confirm its history. you might find out after you get the fairings off that the bike's been down a couple dozen times.

buy from someone you trust and you should be ok. someone at the track is always selling a bike for one reason or another. finding one you like should be relatively easy...

s3aturnr

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,620 Posts
well when buying a used race bike... first thing Id ask for is a "log book".
As for condition... it takes me 2-4 hours getting ready for a round/track day. Thats alot of alone time changing tires, brakes, fluids, etc.

street bikes... well um I see lots of them. Chains are never lubed, axles are he-man over torqued, wheels barely spin, brake fluid looks like coffee, coolant mixture too rich, etc.

Like I said, time = money. Im looking at new bikes now. Sure I can go buy a new 1k for ~$13k. Then Im looking at a few days of studying/reading, removing, prepping, etc. Can almost guarantee someone will be selling a nice bike for ~$10-$13k very soon.
:fact
A guy I work with has a 2011 R1 with 3500 miles on it for that $$ range (still has 4 yrs on the extended warranty he bought):
http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/3857654892.html

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check your local track organizations, most of them have forums. Also as mentioned previously, weraclassifieds, and you can sometimes find good deals on craigslist (depending on seller).

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check your local track organizations, most of them have forums. Also as mentioned previously, weraclassifieds, and you can sometimes find good deals on craigslist (depending on seller).
You didnt read the post, did you?

no excuses for being slow now. bump his ass straight to a-group and let him ride with us! :D

s3aturnr
Very soon! Our track visits will be a little more frequent now.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
no excuses for being slow now. bump his ass straight to a-group and let him ride with us! :D

s3aturnr
You didnt read the post, did you?

Very soon! Our track visits will be a little more frequent now.
Good for you, bad for your bank account.:flex:

Either of you planning on going to the CCS dates at Road America or Blackhawk Farms?

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Either of you planning on going to the CCS dates at Road America or Blackhawk Farms?
nope. i'm hoping to keep it fairly simple for the rest of this season since i spent more before my first track day this year than i spent on my entire track season last year. if i get out of michigan at all it will probably be for mid-o in july. IF...

s3aturnr

1 - 20 of 24 Posts