Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to find a good place to get a decent set of fairings, i was thinking ebay but dont really want to wait 2 months to get a set and the china customer service isnt the best i hear. So i came across monsterfairings .com, and fairing solutions .net. not sure how they are but would like to hear (and see some pics) where everyone is getting there aftermarket fairings, by the way i live in canada.

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Have you tried:

Auctmarts, Nicecycle or Fairings.com?

There have been a few people on here that have ordered fairings thru Auctmarts. I think they are a member on this forum. They have some pretty sweet looking kits.

Nicecycle was talked about in Superstreetbike magazine a while back. The magazine talked really highly of them. They are pricey compared to the Auctmarts brand.

As far as fairings.com goes, I couldn't tell you. I hope this helps.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
A lot of that stuff comes from the same factories in China, just a different website popping up every week.

My opinion: The bodywork from china/ebay is all garbage. Save your money and get OEM. Yes, it is more expensive because it is a better quality product. If you want to save money (on OEM pieces, not over the chinese junk), buy used, fix and paint them yourself. You'll learn a lot in the process and have some cool toys (tools) to play with.

I've seen the Chinese fairings since they first started selling them on ebay all the way up until as recently as a year ago: All of them have been 100%, pure shit. Sure they may look good from 50 feet at 50mph. If that is what you are looking for, then go for it.

I expect my fairings to do the following:
Fit properly without tugging and pulling
Not crack around the mount holes if I sneeze at the bike
Have the proper heat shield in the right places
Use the same hardware as the stuff from the factory
Have the same quality paint as the factory
Match the tank, or any other piece of plastic you already have
Have decals that are perfectly lined up with other decals on the same piece or other pieces
Not melt when they get hot
Not chip easily
Not have soft clearcoat

Some of the "different" brands from China may do one or two of those correctly, if you are lucky. I don't expect a set of $500 fairings to be the same quality as a set of $2000 fairings, and neither should anyone else. I have yet to find a brand that is acceptable to me, so I buy OEM pieces and do a little work if they need it, or I buy ones that don't need work and I pay a little more.

And before anyone says anything: No, I don't have a hard-on for calling chinese stuff junk because it comes from china. I am calling these specific products junk because that is what they are when compared to quality stuff you buy from the OEMs.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Lessee how my Auctmarts kit stacks up to your list:

......I've seen the Chinese fairings since they first started selling them on ebay all the way up until as recently as a year ago: All of them have been 100%, pure shit. Sure they may look good from 50 feet at 50mph. If that is what you are looking for, then go for it.

I expect my fairings to do the following:
Fit properly without tugging and pullingCheck
Not crack around the mount holes if I sneeze at the bikeCheck
Have the proper heat shield in the right placesI just bought some heat shielding from the auto parts store for $25....not much of a deciding factor vs. spending hundreds more on OEM
Use the same hardware as the stuff from the factoryCheck
Have the same quality paint as the factoryPaint's not as good, granted. But for the price, it is well worth it, and has held up great for more than 4 years
Match the tank, or any other piece of plastic you already haveThe OEM pieces don't necessarily match. My OEM cowl did not match the original silver. I painted my tank with Colorrite and it was fairly close.
Have decals that are perfectly lined up with other decals on the same piece or other piecesCheck
Not melt when they get hotCheck
Not chip easilyWell, OK. The paint is thick, and is susceptible to rock chips.....but not any more than a typical re-spray paint job.
Not have soft clearcoatCheck. Once it cures is is as hard as the OEM stuff that was painted months before and sat on a shelf in the wherehouse

Some of the "different" brands from China may do one or two of those correctly, if you are lucky. I don't expect a set of $500 fairings to be the same quality as a set of $2000 fairings, and neither should anyone else. I have yet to find a brand that is acceptable to me, so I buy OEM pieces and do a little work if they need it, or I buy ones that don't need work and I pay a little more.

And before anyone says anything: No, I don't have a hard-on for calling chinese stuff junk because it comes from china. I am calling these specific products junk because that is what they are when compared to quality stuff you buy from the OEMs.
And if you think it is worth spending $1500-$2000 on a bike that is worth $3K to $5K.....you need a lesson in economics.:secret

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently ordered Some auctmarts. Decided on them by searching and reading reviewS. Had them do a custom design and color scheme and even though the gold was supposed to be extra, since they quoted me 390 at first, that's what I paid. That means 390 for shipping, custom design, everything. Pretty crazy in my opinion... And from the pictures they send me this morning they look great. I ordered them 16 days ago.

Attachments

·
no bike no happy
35 Posts
Mine Chinese plastics from neverland shipped today, I'll let you know how they look/feel when I get them. They are supposed to be here by the end of the month.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm definitely not spending 2grand on a set of fairings when I paid 2grand for the bike. I'll try these suggested sites thank you everyone

·
Registered
151 Posts
well auctmarts does sell on eBay as well. But I think they have the best reputation for the cheap fairing s for fit and finish. If you look up auctmarts reviews there are a few very in depth ones. I got mine custom painted with a custom design so realise that it takes longer for me to get mine . :)

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,624 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
www.sharkskinz.com buy american if ya can, and they are the best in the business.. IF you are looking for race bodywork, that is super easy to fit and paint. This stuff goes right on your bike without fitment issues like the cheap hotbodies stuff, and paints nice with no prep. It looks like those sets quoted above, are bolt on ready painted, but not racing bodywork.. if that is what you are lookin for, carry on :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i contacted auctmart. going to give them a shot i think, they are going to custom color them for me, along with my painted new frame this wont look like your average r6 :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I second sharkskinz.

I had a set of them on my zx7. Price was good (OEMs were worth their weight in gold, if you could find them), and the fit was awesome. I ordered them and they were shipped that week, they're made in florida I believe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good luck with the auctmarts. Their response time is usually pretty good. I'l probably put up a review once I mount mine. Also if they don't respond just try again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
And don't expect them to be super fast if custom... Itl take about a month

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
When you get them, do you think it would be possible to do a review of them? Things like fit, finish, and any other comments in regards to them? I think that would actually make for a good thread, since so many people ask about decent non-oem fairings.

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
I dont see why any of you buy chinese fairings... Used OEM fairings are readily available and can be had for extremely cheap.

Ive bought full OEM 08+ fairing kits with OEM paint etc for ~300-500

But to each his own. Ive had one chinese kit on a GSXR and the lower fairings melted from exhaust heat. Replaced those 2 with OEM pieces, same exhaust = no melting..

My vote has been and always will be OEM.

(Race/track fairings are not in the same category)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts