Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I've searched and searched with no luck. I'm sure one of you will post a link though.

I start college in a couple weeks, for you guys in the same boat what do you do with your gear? Helmet lock? I don't feel comfortable the way kids are now. What about your jacket?

I'm sure I'll have a couple responses saying to carry it into class. I know this is an option, but I'm looking for something more convenient. Again, I'm assuming carrying is my best option if I don't want my stuff messed with.

Also, any backpack recommendations? Looking for something with hi visibility for a 45 minute commute.

Appreciate the help gentlemen.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
I locked my Shoei helmet $400 to my bike for my last 2 years. There is no room to have a helmet especially in the auditorium style classrooms. My 2007 R6s had a way to lock my helmet. When I changed to a seat cowl that didn't have it, I used a cable lock.

I also had a $200 textile jacket that I would lock to my bike with a long cable key lock thing that they use for bikes. It would wind up nice and fit in my backpack easily and then I would run it through my sleeves and lock it to the triple tree. After years of sitting in the sun, it got sun faded gray and looked like crap. I just used the elbow buttons to lock it to my cable, although someone could just unbutton it.

Never had any problems. However, motorcycle parking in my college was separated and kinda hidden. So people that had motorcycles were the only ones really walking through there and it wasn't in the open to people just driving by. I never had anyone vandalize my stuff either. My college was more of a commuter college in a safe city. Not a college town with frat houses down the street.

My commute was limited to 10-15 minutes on traffic ridden streets, so I only wore jeans and regular shoes, sometimes boots. Young and invincible.

Now I commute 45 minutes ish highway and I wear more gear now. Boots, pants, jacket. I just carry those up to my desk as space is plenty.

There was also at least one motorcycle theft per semester. So I used a disc brake lock on the front (rear disc brake lots are better though).

·
asdf
214 Posts
Carry it all.

It only takes 1 a**hole to ruin it if you leave it on your bike.

edit: Just my 2 cents anyway. I carried all my gear to classes when I was in college.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Looks like I'll have to actually see where the motorcycle parking is and get a vibe before I make a determination. I have till spring anyway.

Thanks again.

Lol thanks Mac, I like the way you think. I'll have to see what our class seating is like.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
I carried all my shit to class. If some douche cut the strap to my shoei I'd rage. I don't trust my gear to be there when I get back.
The best thing I found was to find a friend with a car and stash my gear in there.
I'm sure if you kissed some ass one of the lady's in the office would let you put your gear in the office.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I used to suck up to the teachers and then just carry my shit to class. What I could wear, I wore. My helmet either got stuck under my desk or by the teacher's desk. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To many jealous people out there, they will cut your helmet off rendering it useless just out of pure jealously. Also it's easy for someone to pick it up and drop your $400 helmet and hurt the integrity of the shell. I never let my gear out of my sight.

·
Registered
351 Posts
its not just people cutting your helmet strap off, it people sitting on your bike while you arent there. my buddies wife has come out of work to find the cover off her bike and once it had been knocked over. people dont respect crap. dont leave anything on it, bring it all with you. i used to ride mine to the gym and even though it was a game of jenga i made everything fit in the locker including my boots

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Carry it, or find lockers on campus. Another option is to look for a student association for your major. They might have a room that you could use. We had a general use room where people would study or just hang out until the next class.

I lucked out and was able to keep my stuff in that semi-secure environment. There were only about 20 or so people who used our room and after a while you get to know everyone. Before that I just carried the helmet and put the boots/pants/jacket into a locker.

Try joining some associations, or get a job on campus. You'll meet more people and maybe find a place to leave your shit without worrying.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A scooter is cool if you wanna attract like minded fellas to hang out with, a sport bike is what you have when you want to attract all kinds of strange ass. Or so I've heard

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yea I never leave my stuff unattended. The only time I did was when I went on a trip and stopped off to do hiking, It was a family place so I felt a little more comfortable leaving it there but still locked it all up. Sitting in class I would be constantly worrying about my stuff being yanked and wouldn't be able to relax (but that's just me). I have a $500 helmet and depending on what jacket I take that's either $200-400 bucks. I have not found a way to lock things down where I feel comfortable especially the helmet (that goes where I go even if I run into the store for a minute). Since your in class and already have a backpack full of books using it to stuff the jacket in and what not is probably not an option. I would just do what others said, take it with you and use the seat next to you if you have to, or wherever there is room in the classroom.

Most of the time your stuff would probably not be messed with, but it only takes that 1 time to ruin your day and make you want to punch babies. People do stupid shit for beer money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate all the recommendations and advice.

Looks like I'll end up carrying it, I just need to scope it out till spring.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
college is the worst place to take your bike...theft always happens..you have a bunch of dumb people who think "its okay" to sit or touch the bike and helmet or do something stupid to it with their friends because they think its funny. few years ago someone actually poured juice inside someones helmet while it was locked on the bike. just carry your stuff with you its an excellent convo starter lol

if there really isnt any space around your desk or seat ask the prof if you can leave your stuff in front of the room or somewhere you can see it. i did this several times and only 1 had a problem with it

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I second the Ogio Mach series. I have the 3, and the helmet loop is sweet for keeping your hands free

1 - 20 of 26 Posts