Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Summer's here, and I'm planning on getting a smoked visor. I know that smoked visors suck at night, so I'll have to be bringing my clear one along for a quick change-out if I get caught in the dark.

Where would I keep the spare when not in use? Should I just strap it on the passenger seat? I don't really know what to do.

·
Born 2 Ride YAMAHA
788 Posts
Bring some safety glasses with you and just ride with the dark visor up. Either that or plan ahead and learn not to make dumb decisions

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bring some safety glasses with you and just ride with the dark visor up. Either that or plan ahead and learn not to make dumb decisions
Umm... Planning ahead is exactly why I want to be able to bring my clear one along. If I go to see a movie and it's bright out when I leave my house I'll be wearing a dark visor. But when the movie gets out and it's dark outside, it clear visor time.

The safety-glasses method sounds like a good idea, though.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
You know that thick plastic tint they sell at wallyhell that clings with static right on the window of a car...That might work for this. You just peel it off when it gets dark.

That is the best I can do... lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
If u know that it will be dark on the way home just put the clear shield on the helmet, I only wore my dark shield if I knew I wasn't riding in the dark.. Or I just delt with it U can still see with a dark shield at night just not as good as a clear If u are going for a night ride for a while than it's a good idea to have Ur clear shield on!

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
my other helmet had smoked visor, and i rode with it day/night...i dont see a big deal.

or y not just have a clear one all the time and put glasses on...
or just get the scorpion exo helmet, they have a built in drop down smoked screen inside the helmet with clear screen still attached

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
my other helmet had smoked visor, and i rode with it day/night...i dont see a big deal.
u can get ticketed for using anything but clear after dark, or riding w/ the visor up and no eye protection.

smoked visors may work ok if u are on a well light road, but if u are out in the middle of nowhere, its dangerous.

·
BACK
384 Posts
If u know that it will be dark on the way home just put the clear shield on the helmet, I only wore my dark shield if I knew I wasn't riding in the dark.. Or I just delt with it U can still see with a dark shield at night just not as good as a clear If u are going for a night ride for a while than it's a good idea to have Ur clear shield on!
thats pretty much what i do, but also to agree with you above me 3 friends got tickets yesterday for having their visors up while riding...and i usually do this while riding around town especially when its really hot, i guess ill be thinking twice now..

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^^^
I guess I could just pull a Harry an Lloyd and just wear goggles like in your avatar.

The only thing that scares me about goggles is bugs in the face. I've had bugs bounce off my visor quite often and the pinging sound they make sounds like it would sting like crazy if one got me in the face.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
I ride with my visor up when there are no cars in front of me because it is extremely hot. I usually pass cops with my visor up and only one hand on the bars. I never get a ticket. I SERIOUSLY think wearing full gear and riding slow makes a huge difference in 'getting a ticket for stupid shit' or not...

If I did get stopped...
'But officer, I have DOT rated safety contacts.'

1 - 20 of 32 Posts