Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have been using Yama-lube dead dinosaurs...

I change the oil so frequently, I don't want to spend the $$$ on synthetics. Although, if I get a sponsorship deal I will use whatever I am given. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I with the Gakster

Mobil 1 15w50

In the spring and fall when it is colder, i run Valvoline durablend 10w40 (semi-synthetic) comes in dark blue bottles.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,777 Posts
Okay, I don;t want to sound stupid but, I tried looking for Mobil 1 synthetics for motorcycles around here but I can't seeem to find them.
Unless I am looking at the wrong places? I checked out CycleGear and they only carry Motuls and Motorex?
I used Mobil full synthetic for my car and love them. And the fact they are cheaper than Motuls

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mike, The Mobil 1 15w50 (red cap, silver bottle) is not a motorcycle specific oil, but will work just fine cause it does not have additives etc.. and is not a Energy Conserving oil.

I buy mine at Wal-Mart $18/ gal I believe.

The mobil 1 motorcycle specific is Mx4t I believe is gonna cost you your third leg. :moon

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
RedlineR6 said:
Mike, The Mobil 1 15w50 (red cap, silver bottle) is not a motorcycle specific oil, but will work just fine cause it does not have additives etc.. and is not a Energy Conserving oil.

I buy mine at Wal-Mart $18/ gal I believe.

The mobil 1 motorcycle specific is Mx4t I believe is gonna cost you your third leg. :moon
so mobil 1 15w50 you say, how bout castrol syntec 15w50. i uses it in my car i just sold and it worked just fine. ahh what the hell its all synthetic shit anyways.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
For years I have run Bel-Ray and been very pleased.
http://www.belray.com/
However, as of late I've become very interested in Royal Puple:
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mcycle.html
They really didn't have a great reputation for motorcycle oil but just recently, it appears that they have been working hard to change that. Mobil 1 has always been tits and regardless of brand, the key is to be faithful about changing it. In fact, become "anal" about it. Car and motorcycle alike.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,777 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
For years I have run Bel-Ray and been very pleased.
http://www.belray.com/
However, as of late I've become very interested in Royal Puple:
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mcycle.html
They really didn't have a great reputation for motorcycle oil but just recently, it appears that they have been working hard to change that. Mobil 1 has always been tits and regardless of brand, the key is to be faithful about changing it. In fact, become "anal" about it. Car and motorcycle alike.
I have heard of the Royal Purple just recently when switch to full synthetic with my car. And for a quart was like $14.00 off a local car parts dealer. I also heard that Redline are one or the best out there. Alot of street racers I know uses these stuff. But the problem for me is to actually where to get them? I am thinking online? I checked Jeg's online and looks like they got the cheapest price for these lubricants
And also, someone had told me to never use car oil with a motorcycle.
Is this valid at all?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You can run any oil you want, HOWEVER....

look on the back of the bottle, you will see a white circle, if it says Energy Consvering 2 or better, dont use it. Most all oils i've used aren't even Energy Conserving rated at all. These additives screw up a wet clutch cause of their anti-frictional qualities, which will burn up your clutch plates or allow them to just lose alot of power through them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use Royal Purple and yamalube

I like to use Yamalube on my 04 R6 and I use Royal Purple on my 450HP 95 Eclipse GSX :-D...only the best ofthe best man!!!

Kenny

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah, most all 10w-40 oils are fine to run. It just basically comes down the the Energy conserving crap, what may be good for you engine parts, may not be good for you clutch.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,777 Posts
How about Redline Oils? I am due for my 8k tune up/oil change soon and
plan to go full synthetic. I know they are great racing oil and those ones cost like $12+/quart here in California. But I know Jeg's online sells them much cheaper ($6.99/quart) and that is the same price as the full synthetic motorcycle oils. So I am really leaning towards the Redline but I just want to make sure they are good for our R6 (wet clutch).

And I did went to a local motorcycle shop and they carry Redline oils. And also suggested them as great oil for Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki but not for Hondas.

Any inputs would be great!

~Mike~

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.