Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

What would you recommend? I'm doubting between Blueflame & Wolf. Carbon or titanium? Oval or round? :roll:
Pics, experiences and comments are welcome! :bow

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both are good but...

both cans are good but i would recomend the Wolf. it won the MCN test for best quality and price, they are all hand made so qualitly control is superb and they also have the unique rivettless design so they will last forever. they also use the best quality materials around and the service with them is excelent. Blueflame are a popular can but many people seem to have alot of problems with them as i have read and heard. personaly i would go with Titanium oval as it is cosmeticaly more appealing to me although Carbon is nice too. Wolfs carbon is good to 450 degrees where as everyone elses is only good to between 120 and 180 degrees, so the other brands of carbon cans will start to go brown in time where as the wolf will always look as good as when you bought it!

i hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Well Wolf won the MCN test against every other brand beating Blue Flame - and if you don't like it just send it back for a full refund!"

Does that really apply to all of your customers?

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Where can I read this "MCN Test" I keep hearing about. I'd like to draw my own conclusions. And why didn't Wolf send in this miracle pipe to Sportbike rider when they did their Slip-On review, because the undertail system didn't get many praises and posted poor numbers.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No legs - firstly Sportrider is a US magazine and never asked us for anything being in the UK - a dealer of ours sent them an underseat which actually posted the 6th best dyno number even though it was an underseat against slip ons..

The MCN test was in the MCN paper which is the worlds largest motorcycle news paper - back issue can be ordered from their web site

The article was also posted on the web but seems to be down right now whilst they revamp the site..

No one is claiming Wolf is a miracle pipe but we just make every part better than anyone else and design and test more than most.

Let me give you some examples - rivets drop out (see the threads on teh Blue Flame Evo 3 on this site) so we make rivetless cans

Pressed end plates (especially Micron) can blow out so we use lightened solid billets - these cost 6 times more but never fail

Most people buy perf tube for the baffles - these come in two or three stock hole sizes and densities - this cannot suit every bike but most people dont care - we get stainless sheet, drilled with the hole size and density we require for each individual bike and then roll it in to sheet.

Most people use needle mat for the packing - we use a two stage ceramic

Most people use heavy 0.7 or 0.9 mm stainless for their sleeves we use 0.5mm that weighs almost the same as titanium

Everyone else (that is everyone) uses carbon fibre that is good to 120 - 180 degrees - we have stuff made at 3 times the cost that is good to 450 degrees - hence being the only company to offer carbon cans on the Arilia RSV etc

Every pipe we make is built and tested on the dyno whereas most have a slip on can for anything that they can fit a link pipe to

Wolf were the first with removable legal baffles and still the ONLY people whose baffles are actually LEGAL under UK law

We were also the first with under seat pipes and still have a wider range than anyone

We're a small company that only make about 2000 pipes a year but everyone is made by hand to the best standards and regardless of cost - hence we won the test

(oh and Sportrider will be publishing a small apology about the underseat as they stated it was short on clearance but never tested this - and of course it has plenty as the owners on this forum will testify and they stated it had no provision for turn signals even though it does and the brackets for these were on the photo they published - doh!!)

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
I hear ya, but let me ask you these questions:

1) I would think that long flowing tubes (like on your underseat) would post better torque numbers than the slip-ons, they don't. I believe the micron high-mount posted some good numbers though.

2) The pipe is supposedly "annoying loud". I mean I heard a D&D that was stupid loud and your pipe is 5db louder than that (came in at 110 I believe) - that's just sick and would have to get old after about 5 mins.

3) Power/Weight ratio - It's at the bottom of the list.

4) Power/Money ratio - I know there is a lot going on with the kit, but the power gain just doesn't compare with the other (less expensive) slip-ons.

I guess the real question here is, what is your target crowd? Why do people buy the Wolf underseat?

I don't anything about your regular slip-ons, so I don't have any comment about them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
yep

·
Registered
329 Posts
Brian - all those links are for this years twin can model - on last years there was only one can which took twice the force and destroyed everyone else's carbon to the point where they gave up making them...

No Legs - check the torque numbers again mate on that test...

Power to weight on power increase to weight of can is meaningless - power to weight on a bike's total weight is something but saying a can weighs this and gives x amount of power is so stupid that even my dead mother would realise it's crap...

Our TWIN can under the seat system weighs more than all teh single cans tested - BIG BIG surprise - but weighs in only a little over stock adding gee lets see, 0.0001% to the weight of the bike

Noise - again we sent Sportrider the optional baffles and they chose not to use them - anyway sound is relative - check how many posts here ask which is the loudest?? We offer 98, 102 and 108 dB versions of the underseat - people can choose

People buy underseat for the look primarily and with the Wolf they get the look and a system that out did 24 others on power out of the test - how can anyone argue with that.

If they want the lightest our titanium slip on weighs in at 1.2 lbs and again has a choice of 82 or 98 dB sound levels

At the end of the day mate you have seen what I wrote above and why it makes Wolf better - you can buy one or not, teh choice is always with teh customer and believe it or not I really don't mind if people choose another brand - hey some of them are good, some so close to Wolf as to be almost the best too - many of course are crap and I know which they are but still people might wnat them coz they have a cool badge or a nice name or their mate liked his.. it's a free world and everyone should buy the product they like

·
Registered
329 Posts
Krom - see above - that's RSV not RSVR or Factory

Anyway, the 04 bike runs a totally different exhaust system just out of interest designed by..... :twisted:

·
Registered
380 Posts
i dont know to much about those bikes but i want one :boob

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Wolf said:

Anyway, the 04 bike runs a totally different exhaust system just out of interest designed by..... :twisted:
i dont think that was a hit on you wolf, but i could be wrong. but no worries, i think you make a great can. i dont have one but i do beleive my next one will be one of yours :cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
I didn't actually understand what was meant so I thought I'd be on the safe side - hell it's 1am here and I've spent 2 hours in my gym and then had a fair few beers so I'm tired, worn out and blurry so cognative processing is easier to write than do!! :cheers

Loki - thanks, when the time comes I'm sure you'll love it

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
Wolf said:

dude, Satan made your can?? You're awesome!!!

My bad, all these Jack and Cokes are making it hard to read. Plus, I'm originally from KS so reading isn't my forte. And I've been wanting to use that picture forever. Sorry wolf.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Wolf said:
No Legs - check the torque numbers again mate on that test...
.7 increase over stock, behind 18 others. My point wasn't that it only made .7 more, but the fact that other, shorter mid-piped cans, where producing more torque than the wolf's longer pipes. I was pretty much just making a statement that I "thought" the wolf underseat would make more torque with the longer tubes and didn't understand why it didn't.
Wolf said:
Power to weight on power increase to weight of can is meaningless - power to weight on a bike's total weight is something...
Ok, I have two choices:

1) Add 2 HP, .7 TQ, and .4 lbs for ~$900 (Wolf)
or
2) Add 2.5 HP, .8 TQ, and DROP 6 lbs for less than half the money (FMF for example)

If I went with choice (1), it would only be because I'm a squid and care about either looks, noise, how much it cost, or all three.
Wolf said:
...is so stupid that even my dead mother would realise it's crap...
I don't know how dumb your mother was, so I don't know how obvious your statement was.
Wolf said:
Noise - again we sent Sportrider the optional baffles and they chose not to use them - anyway sound is relative - check how many posts here ask which is the loudest?? We offer 98, 102 and 108 dB versions of the underseat - people can choose
I'm not looking for the loudest exhaust, just the best for the money.
Wolf said:
People buy underseat for the look primarily and with the Wolf they get the look and a system that out did 24 others on power out of the test - how can anyone argue with that.
I'm doing that right now.
Wolf said:
If they want the lightest our titanium slip on weighs in at 1.2 lbs and again has a choice of 82 or 98 dB sound levels
But you're not talking about the underseat now are you?
Wolf said:
At the end of the day mate you have seen what I wrote above and why it makes Wolf better
I'm still trying to figure out why it IS better.
Wolf said:
- you can buy one or not, teh choice is always with teh customer
I agree

1 - 20 of 22 Posts