Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what setup everyone likes and why? Preferably I would like to hear from 2nd gen owners as I am one and am still trying to decide which gearing set up I want.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
i have -1/+2 and i recently rode my uncles stock bike, and it was a huge difference, i prefer the faster acceleration, as much as people are like you lose top end, i would rather get there first, and i have a speedohealer, i still top our at 145, gps tested, i dont need to be going faster than that on the street

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
I like my -1/+1, gives me faster acceleration without making it a wheelie machine.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
I'm a stocker, I'll worry about faster acceleration when I'm on a track. For city there is no point the bike is already fast as shit as is.

·
Happy ending 5 dollar
11 Posts
According to Motomummy's website your bike is already +3 in the rear sprocket compared to the 06-10 R6's. I have the the R6S which is also +3 and I like it. Are you considering dropping some teeth in the rear to get more top end?

·
She wants me to twist it!
882 Posts
The factory gearing ( amount of teeth front and rear) on each bike is different but as far as going up/down teeth would be the same. Im -1/+2 and love it. I bought my bike +2 in the rear so I never experienced it stock and I went down 1 in the front after the first couple years and LOVE it now. Its very torquey! Ive play raced a few other 600's and Ive always left them behind. If I were you I would go down 1 in the front on the stock chain. The sprocket costs 15 bucks. Try it out and see how you like it. If you hate it then sell it or lose 15 bucks..

·
^^^ Ginger here...
386 Posts
I didn't vote. I have only experienced stock. I was thinking -1+2 seems to be the most popular following stock. Now with -1+2, if you’re at a 10mph roll, does it just pop the wheel up when you get on it? To the point of possibly looping it?

With stock now, when I hit it WOT, the front just hovers or floats and feels light. This is without chopping the throttle to try and throw the wheel up.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
According to Motomummy's website your bike is already +3 in the rear sprocket compared to the 06-10 R6's. I have the the R6S which is also +3 and I like it. Are you considering dropping some teeth in the rear to get more top end?
I think you're confused. Stock is stock. Just because the sprocket's tooth count on the 05 is 3 more than the 06-10' doesn't mean it's "+3."

+3 would refer to being 3 teeth over the stock sprocket.

As for my opinion - I have a -1/+3 setup on my bike now, but I haven't gotten to test it out at all. So I didn't vote.

I can say that I would love to get into the power band a little easier, which is why I went to the -1/+3 setup.. I've gone over 140 once, and that was all I needed. I'm not in it for the straight line land speed records..

·
882 Posts
I didn't vote. I have only experienced stock. I was thinking -1+2 seems to be the most popular following stock. Now with -1+2, if you’re at a 10mph roll, does it just pop the wheel up when you get on it? To the point of possibly looping it?

With stock now, when I hit it WOT, the front just hovers or floats and feels light. This is without chopping the throttle to try and throw the wheel up.
Your not going to loop it the second you go WOT but it will take some getting used to. I like the fact that I can put at 5-10 mph and give a quick jerk of the throttle and lift the front wheel up a few inches. It will come up ALOT faster and alot easier and youll have to figure out where to put your weight at but its really not bad. The only scarry moments Ive had were when I was revving up to race and when the lights turned the front wheel lifted a little too high too fast but (practice makes perfect)..

Spend 15 bucks on the -1 front sprocket. If you like it keep it if you dont your only out 15 bucks!!

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never track my bike, it is just a street bike. I do a lot of highway riding and therefore am worried about the RPMS increasing a lot from stock.

I usually ride around 60 mph in 6th gear at about 5100 RPMS. However I don't want the RPMS to go up like crazy.

Although gearingcommander.com says that the RPMS with the -1/+2 would only go up to about 5700.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
im the oddball i guess. i use a -1/-1 setup. gives me a little more acceleration than stock, and a good bit better fuel economy than the -1/+2. it can still wheelie on command in first and second just rolling it on, but i dont have to try to keep it from doing a wheelie either.

2003 r6 with 28k miles

sidenote...bike came with -1/+2 when i bought it. i HATED it. cruising on the highway sucked some massive balls. revving to the moon with the people doing 75-80 here. speedo would indicate i was doing anywhere between 85 and 90 all the time

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im the oddball i guess. i use a -1/-1 setup. gives me a little more acceleration than stock, and a good bit better fuel economy than the -1/+2. it can still wheelie on command in first and second just rolling it on, but i dont have to try to keep it from doing a wheelie either.

2003 r6 with 28k miles

sidenote...bike came with -1/+2 when i bought it. i HATED it. cruising on the highway sucked some massive balls. revving to the moon with the people doing 75-80 here. speedo would indicate i was doing anywhere between 85 and 90 all the time
See thats what I want to avoid. I do not want the RPM's to be way high when I am cruising.

-1/-1 is interesting. Have you ridden stock to know it gives you more acceleration than stock?

·
882 Posts

2003 r6 with 28k miles

Is this right? Form my understanding (wich is what someone told me one day, never researched) That going -1 in the front is like going +2 in the rear. So a -1/+2 is the same thing as a +4 in the rear. So here your saying you went -1/-1 meaning you went +2 then -1 so your actually only +1 in the rear. If your still following is that right?

·
DARC Racing
2,334 Posts
1st and 2nd Gen = 15/49 (-1/+2) but Ive also run a 50 rear and on the street is awesome... but runs high RPM's

3rd Gen: 15/48 (-1/+3) Started with -1/+2 and didnt have much diff and since its street and I dont need anything over 155mph..I went -1/+3 and love it. (at my altitude in CO anyway)

·
DARC Racing
2,334 Posts
Is this right? Form my understanding (wich is what someone told me one day, never researched) That going -1 in the front is like going +2 in the rear. So a -1/+2 is the same thing as a +4 in the rear. So here your saying you went -1/-1 meaning you went +2 then -1 so your actually only +1 in the rear. If your still following is that right?
not quite: You need this: http://sprocketcalculator.com/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts