Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because I personally have a Shoei RF-900 I just scratched up. I'm going to paint it (just chin section is scratched, it's an all black patch). But, I was looking to get another one of the exact model, then I saw Suomys... they look pretty cool with their schemes.

I know I like Shoei now, Arai's paint schemes are as boring as my Lit teacher, and Suomys are unknown to me. And I would only buy probably out of those three (no HJC, Vector, etc...).

Thanks...

-Solace

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
they're all good helmets....it just depends what you want to pay and what fits your noodle the best, but all three are solid lids...

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
im partial to arai. but i was gonna get the shoei before asking my friends. they all pointed me to the arai. like RSixxer stated pick one that fits you.

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
i personally own a HJC and i love it and i would definately reccomend one(at least try one on they are not that bad). i hav also used the icon elmets and i fell in love with it. if you go to try an icon, use one size larger than you usually wear, they tend to run smaller than the rest. if you have a deep pocket, definately get the aria. i tried one on yesterday and it was like a pillow with a visor. that will be my next helmet to match the 6.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love my arai. i find arai's to fit me better because i find them as a tighter fit when compared to shoei and other brands. All the helmets you mentioned are solid but my advice is go with an arai.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Arai hands down... well actually I've never owned another type of street helmet :) But the reason I say this is because I love it. I have the RX7 model and it feels like theres a fan in the helmet because of all the ventilation. Not to mention it's very light weight. I am very comfortable wearing it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I personally like the fit of the arai helmets the best...the only problem is that i don't have the cash for an arai! Take a look at the KBC helmets. I have a VR=1 model and love it, it fits my nogin very well and vents really good too. The new Racer-1 is a sweet ass helmet from KBC too...pretty close to the arais in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've always worn AGV, but its going to come down mostly to personal preferance. I currrently wear the Rossi 500 replica. I would try to just make sure you get whih ever brands top level helmet. Its worth the cost. Stay away from the $159 specials!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Shoei 1000 and I love it!! I had an HJC, but the Shoei is SO much nicer in my opinion. One of the things that I love the best about is the ventalation. As long as you are above about like 25 - 30 the helmet vents itself, almost like having A/C in the helmet.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I wear the Shoei 9000 as well, and I LOVE IT! You do all realize that the best helmet is going to be the best fit, of course, but remember the higher up brands have removeable padding that you can get in different sizes. When I bought my Shoei, I went through all the pads, and had one custom fit to me, and it is the best fitting helmet I have ever put on.

My advice is to make sure you custom fit the things, don't just try them on at the shelf and move on if it isn't right.

I also have a HJC and I rarely wear it, only because it lifts up on me, and after wearing the fitted Shoei, there is NO comparison.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
hjc's feel cheap on my head although a good helmet, but compared to a shoei there is no comparasion. i have not tried any other brands. but i look at it like this...

how much is your life worth?

:cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm on my second Arai lid this year (my buddy went down wearing my Arai Astral) and I'd NEVER wear another helmet again. Obviously like everyone else says, it comes down to personal preference. My new helmet is an Arai RX7 Corsair and I've never worn anything that fits so good.

When I first started riding I was going to by a cheap squid lid but my buddy convinced me otherwise. I told him "I'm just gonna buy a cheap $400 helmet," and he replied with a chuckle"Ya, a $400 helmet for a $400 head. Think about it." **BTW that's $400 Canadian**

Now I'm not saying that a $1400 (Canadian) Arai RX7 Corsair is going to be any better than a generic $400 helmet but there's gotta be some reason for that inflation and it gives me (and not the asphalt) piece of mind. :hammer Sorry that was a brutal pun.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
i'd rather pay $160 for an HJC helmet that has the same DOT/Snell rating as a $500 shoei and put the extra $cash$ into something useful like good riding gear or maybe a PC3 or some other mod.

And as far as

OCboy03R6 said:
...how much is your life worth?
Aren't you the same guy that said you ride around in sandals? I don't think I would take safety advice from someone in a $500 shoei and a pair of jesus sandals, but hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NoLegs... lol, you crack me up man. You should be a detective, lol. Anyways, good point NoLegs, because with everyone saying "How much is your life worth (how do you quote like you guys do?), it isn't a matter of how much life is worth, because most of know it's priceless. Now you jack-offs that don't care, well to each his own. But... I just paid $225 for my Shoei RF-900 Chimera red (large), and I think I got a steal. I paid $260 from the dealer when I got my bike, and it was a $400 helmet then, he gave it to me for twenty bucks over mark-up. But, all-in-all, the Arai fit the best (to be honest), but after riding with my Shoei, I wouldn't give it up for ANY Arai, no matter what the cost. I say this because I absolutely love the design of the helmet (check it out for yourself sometime, it's in the gallery). But, Arai needs to get a better artist sometime soon... anyways guys Shoei and Suomy are my two picks as far as designs go. But, I've only tried on Shoei and Arai helmets so far. But, at least my girlfriend and I match... thanks guys...

-Solace

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
NoLegs said:
i'd rather pay $160 for an HJC helmet that has the same DOT/Snell rating as a $500 shoei and put the extra $cash$ into something useful like good riding gear or maybe a PC3 or some other mod.

And as far as

OCboy03R6 said:
...how much is your life worth?
Aren't you the same guy that said you ride around in sandals? I don't think I would take safety advice from someone in a $500 shoei and a pair of jesus sandals, but hey, that's just me.
you must not know the difference between sarcasism and being serious, who rides in jesus sandals honestly? :roll:

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I wear a Bieffe GPR race replica (Giansanti). My next helmet will no doubt be a Suomy. Go to a show or an event and try a bunch on. Buy what fits and feels the best. If it's DOT & Snell, you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hammy... you are Supreme man, a show, never thought of that one, lol. I didn't know where to look, and I sure didn't want to ask strangers, lol. Thanks man...

-Solace

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i got the same helmet as miked993, AGV rossi 500 replica XR-2. i absolutly love it, never fogs up, plenty of airflow so i never get to hot. i would recommend you tryin one on before buyin one of the internet or something cause i have heard they have an odd shape for their shell making it unconfy for some people :cheers

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like my Arai RX7. We should all write consumer reports to see about getting a big crashtest done for Streetbike Helmets. I've heard so much about how companies like HJC just do enough to get SNELL certified whereas Arai makes the best helmet possible to protect your head. I don't think anyone's going to do their own testing as that would be super expensive and impossible to get consistent results. My Arai is a solid color and I bought it because it was the best protection for my head. (or so they tell me)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts