Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Iceman Cometh...
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to install HID's on my 02 R6 but haven't a CLUE as to which set to buy. I don't know if they come in red, but that is the color I'd like if it's available. Tired of the blue tint, everyone has them. If red is not available, I saw a bike with violet colored HID's. I'd settle for those too. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Richie

PS...Don't want a single beam set up. Low/high beams are a must for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd really like to install HID's on my 02 R6 but haven't a CLUE as to which set to buy. I don't know if they come in red, but that is the color I'd like if it's available. Tired of the blue tint, everyone has them. If red is not available, I saw a bike with violet colored HID's. I'd settle for those too. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Richie

PS...Don't want a single beam set up. Low/high beams are a must for me.

so you want red headlights, or violet :confused:... I assume you don't ride at night then?

·
Registered
447 Posts
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/102/

DDM tunning kit with Raptor ballasts. That what I got and I believe a lot of people on this forum. On that page there is a color chart. If you want violet you would have to go with 12k. It will not be completely violet but have a bluish tint to it. Although I wouldn't recommended it as it would not be really bright. I have 5K on mine which is the brightest you could possibly buy and they are BRIGHT.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Go with KryptonBulbs. Customer service is top notch and the ballasts are actually a little smaller than DDM. I've also heard that DDM lately has been using crappier components in their HID kits.
^^^This. And I think someone just put up a "how to" for install.:sing

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
krypton > ddm.

as for color - why not pure white? the 4300k or the 5000k would be pure white. when you get up to the 12000k (violet) you lose a TON of lumens (actual visible light).

if you're looking for two hi's, and two lows, you'll have to do some fancy wiring with a projector mod, if i'm not mistaken. krypton also sells them... and installs them, and all you have to do is basically plug em up when you get em back.

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
I'd stay away from DDM. They suck. Sent me two wrong sets and never attempted to fix it. I stick to local dealers now.

You have an 02 so you will not have a single beam setup. You'll need a hi/lo kit. Now, your high beams won't be that fantastic so don't expect too much from you highs.

-Ant.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I'd stay away from DDM. They suck. Sent me two wrong sets and never attempted to fix it. I stick to local dealers now.

You have an 02 so you will not have a single beam setup. You'll need a hi/lo kit. Now, your high beams won't be that fantastic so don't expect too much from you highs.

-Ant.
oops... i missed that little tidbit. haha

·
Registered
597 Posts
In most states any red lights other than taillight and brake light is illegal, it is considered impersonating a police officer

·
Registered
673 Posts
+1 on kryptonbulbs

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
No reds available, 12k will be kinda purple, also have 3000k for a yellow, carbon r6 did some of these, search his posts for pics.

You want a h4 bi xenon kit. They are $70 shipped.

Pm me if you need a link. (I would post one now but I'm here on my phone)

Thanks
Josh

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Hey richie, I have the DDM's 6k H4 Bixenon kit.

Go for the bixenon kit from Krypton. Don't mess with projectors. They just limit your light output. My 02 blinds the shit out of everyone, but it lights up the road like somethin fierce. The highs are WAY high. I only use em when leaned over real far in turns.

Let us know what route you end up going!

·
The Iceman Cometh...
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hey richie, I have the DDM's 6k H4 Bixenon kit.

Go for the bixenon kit from Krypton. Don't mess with projectors. They just limit your light output. My 02 blinds the shit out of everyone, but it lights up the road like somethin fierce. The highs are WAY high. I only use em when leaned over real far in turns.

Let us know what route you end up going!
This is where I get very confused. What are the differences between all these kits? They start at H1 and go up to H13. What is this H designation for and how do they differ? Then it goes to 9000 series and even HB. As much as I don't want the blue bulbs cause everyone has them, looks like I will too. No reds available (they have to be pulsing to be illegal I think) and the violets are too dim. So, is there much of a difference between the 8k iceburg blue and the 10k brilliant blue? I'd prefer a deeper blue, but not at the expense of brightness. I realize I'm getting carried away with detail here, but I'd rather ask than to get stuck with something I don't like. Thanks again...

Richie

·
Registered
52 Posts
You need the H4-3 Bi-Xenon which includes hi and low. I know this because I have the same bike and also looking to put some HIDs on it too. Kryton has a good selection and he ships fast but if you want something cheaper i think ebay has them for around 50 or so

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
This is where I get very confused. What are the differences between all these kits? They start at H1 and go up to H13. What is this H designation for and how do they differ? Then it goes to 9000 series and even HB. As much as I don't want the blue bulbs cause everyone has them, looks like I will too. No reds available (they have to be pulsing to be illegal I think) and the violets are too dim. So, is there much of a difference between the 8k iceburg blue and the 10k brilliant blue? I'd prefer a deeper blue, but not at the expense of brightness. I realize I'm getting carried away with detail here, but I'd rather ask than to get stuck with something I don't like. Thanks again...

Richie
the "h" 4 or 7 or any number is the type or style bulb that fits your application, same as 9000 serious, for ex., 9003 is same as an h4 type bulb (which your r6 calls for too) and as far as kelvin rating, anything passed 8k, your really going for looks over function as its harder to see with them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts