Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
always riding...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19x20 vs 19x18

at first I thought the 19x20 was but then I saw on some site that had it for sale that it was recommended for STREET use as an upgrade and the 19x18 was recommended for TRACK use.

which one you guys think is best for the track??

I'm thinkin maybe the 19x18 since u'll have more feel especially when trail braking rather than the 19x20 being more of an off/on switch when it comes to the braking. don't really want that when it comes to ALOT of lean angle and brakin at the same time...

·
always riding...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw ur other post on my thread, so your saying the 19x18 for a 600 for sure huh? that's what I was thinkin, as for the RCS idk I was thinkin about getting the Accossato 19×18 master cylinder since its a little cheaper and it's used in the AMA.

you have any experience in the differences between brembo and accossato?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
you won't be impressed with the improvement over the 05+ OEM brembo unit. I have ran the 19x20, 19x18.. as ChiefSD stated (in the other thread) the 18 provides a little more feel, it's more progressive. the 19x20 is harder as it's moving more fluid with less lever travel..
All that said, i sold my brembo and bought a couple OEM units for spares, and put my OEM master cyl back on. they seem to be even a tad MORE progressive than the 19x18 brembo (true billet piece= expensive).
For the $200 or so?? i added the GPtech folding lever and remote adjuster. I know guys that own other brand bikes, and get the OEM r6 unit for their bike.

·
always riding...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you won't be impressed with the improvement over the 05+ OEM brembo unit. I have ran the 19x20, 19x18.. as ChiefSD stated (in the other thread) the 18 provides a little more feel, it's more progressive. the 19x20 is harder as it's moving more fluid with less lever travel..
All that said, i sold my brembo and bought a couple OEM units for spares, and put my OEM master cyl back on. they seem to be even a tad MORE progressive than the 19x18 brembo (true billet piece= expensive).
For the $200 or so?? i added the GPtech folding lever and remote adjuster. I know guys that own other brand bikes, and get the OEM r6 unit for their bike.
whoa whoa, I won't be impressed going from my OEM one to a aftermarket one? that's def a first time hearing that, the OEM may be a brembo but it's a 16mm (it has a 16 on it so I'm guessing it is) wit that said going to a 19mm should be a big difference!

but as for the 19x18, when u ran it was it still as powerful as the 19x20? it just has more feel aka play when it comes to the lever right?

but obviously not looking for as much play as I have with my OEM one

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
whoa whoa, I won't be impressed going from my OEM one to a aftermarket one? that's def a first time hearing that, the OEM may be a brembo but it's a 16mm (it has a 16 on it so I'm guessing it is) wit that said going to a 19mm should be a big difference!

but as for the 19x18, when u ran it was it still as powerful as the 19x20? it just has more feel aka play when it comes to the lever right?
the OEM r6 is a 16x18..

but obviously not looking for as much play as I have with my OEM one
it's the first time hearing it cause.. well.. to be fair, there are very few racers on this forum that actually post. And i'm not saying it isn't an improvement to some OTHER bikes (gsxr specifically, sad brakes) Go and hang out at a local CCS/WERA event, it's way easier to talk to racers at the club events. Ask em, see what are on the bikes of some of the single digit expert bikes (guys that run a full season for points). I'm just giving you an honest, unbiased opinion from.. uh oh.. dare i say it?? many years of racing and having used em on my bikes, and on other bikes i have raced for endurance racing teams Ya made me go and talk about myself there, gonna catch a whole mountain of shit for that ..

Brakes are a "feel" thing, it's not so much about outright power especially when your skill improves and you begin trail braking harder and harder. Yea, the 19x20 is gonna be more "powerful" if you sink your hand into the lever with lots of force. But the 19x18 will give you more "feel", making trail braking perhaps easier. the 19x20 might be used for different volume calipers (piston sizes) where you are looking to change the feel. What i do know is, is that the 19x18 is far and away the most popular brembo master cyl, but myself and SOME r6 guys don't find it any improvement over the OEM r6 master cyl. that is a brembo, but it's a cast alum. piece, not solid billet alum.
THE OEM 05+ R6 MASTER CYL IS VERY VERY GOOD :)
Will you like the 19x18 over the 0EM 16x18?? maybe you will!

Upgrade the lines (a must regardless for track/racing), get some EBC GPFA (if you want' killer outright initial bite), bleed your lines-new fluid, and go. :) I prefer the EBC EPFA as they are more progressive, less hard initial bite than the GPFA. Both are a sintered pad. Or, knock yourself out and get that nice billet $250 brembo unit! you can sell your OEM unit in a heartbeat for $80+

There are a few other brands out there, but a big question is this.. will you or I benefit from spending $250 or more on an aftermarket m.c. over the very good OEM unit?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
^bingo.

save your money for other things.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you're oem mc is so billy badass from yamaha you really dont need to touch it, just toss on pads and ss lines and call it a day for your brakes

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
you have any experience in the differences between brembo and accossato?
I've got an Accossato 19x18 and love it. I went with Galfer carbon pads and wave rotors at the same time, and was pretty stunned my the improvement in an already beautifully stopping bike. The feel of the brakes when trail braking hard is fantastic.

The master cylinder when matched with a promotion quick turn throttle is a tight fit on the bar, but it all works well. More of a puzzle to fit.

I've got the stock unit in my spares box in case I need a quick replacement, but I've never needed to. Keep in mind you then need Accossato brake levers, which aren't cheap.

Overall, great stuff but I'd probably spend my money elsewhere first, like lines, rotors, pads and expensive fluid.

My 2 cents

·
always riding...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have the SS lines and there's actually something wrong wit my OEM MC internally bc I need to bleed It every week but even when it worked well the damn thing has to much play but I'm about to buy the accossato 19x18 MC non folding lever (their replacement levers are cheaper than brembos) since its cheaper than the folding unit but they all work the same. also puttin EBC HH pads on (I still ride thr streets so I can't put a full track pad on there since they need to warm up).... this combo along with my galfer lines should finally be to my liking when it comes to my brakes!

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I already have the SS lines and there's actually something wrong wit my OEM MC internally bc I need to bleed It every week but even when it worked well the damn thing has to much play but I'm about to buy the accossato 19x18 MC non folding lever (their replacement levers are cheaper than brembos) since its cheaper than the folding unit but they all work the same. also puttin EBC HH pads on (I still ride thr streets so I can't put a full track pad on there since they need to warm up).... this combo along with my galfer lines should finally be to my liking when it comes to my brakes!
Remember, you won't have a place for your brake light switch, if that's an issue. You can use one of those pressure switches, but there's not much room for on my clipons.

On your OE unit, you could have a bad bleeder, a leaking piston in a caliper or a leaking piston in the master cylinder. Or one of the copper washers on the lines could be bent or leaking. None of these are too tough to fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts