Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Which motorcycle magazines do you read or prefer to flip through.....

• Sport Rider

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Cycle World

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Motorcyclist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none.....i never look at motorcycle magazines

Votes: 3 25.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please chime in with the poll above.......

A buddy is thinking about doing some advertising in one of the major news stand motorcycle magazines and we were debating which magazine would be best. He only has the money to advertise in one magazine, so I'm just curious what R6 Forum guys like to read most. His products are geared towards sportbikes mainly, but work with sport touring as well. The obvious magazines are Sport Rider, Cycle World and Motorcyclist. Sport rider has the smallest circulation and lowest advertising costs, cycleworld and motorcyclist have much larger subscriber bases......but are a lot more money to advertise in. We are not sure if cycleworld and motorcyclist are really the target audiences though. Mainly bc his business is geared toward sport bikes ( R6, R1, CBR, Ninjas, GSXR's and some of those who like the sport touring bikes......FZ's, SV's and such ). I was thinking sport rider, but again, their subscriber base is 1/4 of the other larger two....

Thanks

·
...Slow...
1,383 Posts
Sport Rider

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
the only one that matters.. RoadRacing World. All the rest just happen to have pictures of motorcycles in them. Not even in the poll, (sigh) ..

:)

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
All those magazines are exactly the same. "Middlewight Shootout!", "Best Naked Bike!", "Best Bike to Put the Sport in Sport Touring!", "Best Bikes of 2014!", "Best New Lightweight!".

Seriously. It's 90% just bike comparisons and features on a specific model. All exactly the same. Cycle world has an article about travel. Motorcycles has an article about commuting. Sport Rider has an article about racing. Same thing every month.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,242 Posts
the only one that matters.. RoadRacing World. All the rest just happen to have pictures of motorcycles in them. Not even in the poll, (sigh) ..

This. I get quite a few (Sport Rider, Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Dealer News....), but the only one that I wouldn't let expire is RoadRacing World. I've had a subscription since their second year out (1992 IIRC).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

WOW !!! I totally forgot about RRW.

With that being said, I noticed here and on another forum ( where i posted a poll ) that people are saying that Sportrider, cycleworld and motorcyclist are almost the same magazines cover to cover with minor differences.

I am personally not a magazine reader, but there are a lot of guys saying RRW.....what makes them different ( besides the obvious title ). Does RRW only cater to those interested in racing ( hardcore track day riders, CCS, Wera, AMA, Moto GP guys )?

We are trying to find a magazine that will cover the broadest market of sportbike and sport touring enthusiasts. So, I am not sure RRW wold be his target market.

Thoughts?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

With that being said, I noticed here and on another forum ( where i posted a poll ) that people are saying that Sportrider, cycleworld and motorcyclist are almost the same magazines cover to cover with minor differences.

I am personally not a magazine reader, but there are a lot of guys saying RRW.....what makes them different ( besides the obvious title ). Does RRW only cater to those interested in racing ( hardcore track day riders, CCS, Wera, AMA, Moto GP guys )?

We are trying to find a magazine that will cover the broadest market of sportbike and sport touring enthusiasts. So, I am not sure RRW wold be his target market.

Thoughts?
rrw is different in that they cover CLUB racing (ccs,wera,cmra,etc) as well as motoGP,wss/wsb, bsb, ama/dmg, etc. There are also technical articles covering stuff like data acuisition, and one of my current favorite recurring articles.. is Sam Flemming covering the transition of a bike from showroom floor to national endurance bike. he has lots of tid-bits on bike prep, and talks about the many years of endurance racing for the Army Of Darkness team. Then there is the monthly "rider profile" of a club racer from somewhere here in USA. it is more race bike oriented, but the articles are well done. there are some street riding things thrown in..
call them and get a free issue sent to ya to check out.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

My thoughts exactly...

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts

That's probably because all three (among others) are published by Bonnier Corp.

Thoughts?
If you are trying to reach the broadest audience of motorcyclists, RRW is not your mag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts