Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my engine bearings and I went to order the parts and there are 4 different parts number i was told this is because they are different sizes. I called Yamaha and they weren't helpful at all on how to find out what size (part #) bearing I need. Can someone please tell me how to find out which bearing size(part #) I'm going to need to order. Not sure if it matter but the bike is a 2004 R6.

Thanks, Sean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I havent been inside a yamaha in a while . but if i remember they are select fit bearings and no one can tell you the size . you would have to look at either the crank or the block for the stamped numbers and then order the correct part.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Have you ever heard of a micrometer? If not, then I don't think you should be doing the work. If your talking about width then I am sorry, but I am sure they mean the clearance.

Did you spin or wear a bearing? How do you know you need new bearings?

·
Tha 5 star Manic Mechanic
1,126 Posts
The technician determines the correct engine bearings by using the numbers from the engine cases and numbers on the crankshaft and then doing an equation in the factory service manual.

·
burrr
158 Posts
Have you ever heard of a micrometer? If not, then I don't think you should be doing the work. If your talking about width then I am sorry, but I am sure they mean the clearance.

Did you spin or wear a bearing? How do you know you need new bearings?
you use a micrometer on plain bearings??? I would recommend plastigauge, but either way this guy has no business in an engine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
you use a micrometer on plain bearings??? I would recommend plastigauge, but either way this guy has no business in an engine.
Just used it as an example. Couldn't remember what the wax string in the paper was called. It's been about 7 years since I've been that deep in an engine. I doubt the OP could even specify which one of the 3 sizes of Plastigauge to use. He'd still want to mic out the rest to check tolerances if he did a teardown like that.

·
Tha 5 star Manic Mechanic
1,126 Posts
Where abouts are the numbers?
Stamped into the engine cases, they will be numbers or letters. The same goes for the crankshaft. You would use those two sets of numbers/letters together to determine bearing size from a chart provided by Yamaha.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just ordered main and rod bearings for the supersport build I'm about to begin. A micrometer is one way of doing it. The manual suggests looking at the numbers on the crank and calculating the size bearing from there...each application is different. The bearings are color coded and you have to order the bearings in pieces. 2 pieces = 1 full bearing. I hope this helps. You might want to ask a mechanic for assistance. In my experience, they like beer. Just feed it to them after they have finished working on the motor. hehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts