Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2010 R6 enginge in a 2008 chasis(purpose built race bike) Im about to get the bauces ecu remap done. I was advised by the engineeer that built the bike to get ecu reflashed and also get velocity stacks. Here in New Zealand geting such things are very expensive and limited supply.

Can anyone recommend a specific set of velocity stacks? All I want to know is, whats sizes? would all 4 be the same? Or which brand/supplier. Ive looked at the graves but cant justify that much money for them.

I know some people use diferent velocity stacks for different tracks etc but I dont think id go that far into it.

I hope to be racing by the end of the year if not sooner.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,700 Posts
WHICH 2010 - 2008..
if you have 2nd gen, consider some stack configuration, but you can't flash the box.
If you have a 3rd gen, flash the box, leave the stacks alone. You will be shocked at the cost of YEC variable v-stacks. BIG money. Like too stupid to buy. Nobody except a very elite few run them. Just simply cost prohibitive.

if you are new to racing, just flash the box.. get a good tune with the least performance upgrades as possible , and put the bulk of your race budget into RACE tires and track time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
its a 2010 engine in a 2008 frame. bike has brand new ohlns ttx shock and brand new nix 30 mm cartidges. bike has bazzaz afi. all suspension has just been set up for me. so again, which velocity stacks? the bike was a purpose built race bike. i was recommended to use graves stacks but they are expensive. what about factory pro? ive got good tyres and do spend 2-3 days a month on track. it had a yamaha factory ecu but yamaha took that back at the end of the season last year.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,700 Posts
its a 2010 engine in a 2008 frame. bike has brand new ohlns ttx shock and brand new nix 30 mm cartidges. bike has bazzaz afi. all suspension has just been set up for me. so again, which velocity stacks? the bike was a purpose built race bike. i was recommended to use graves stacks but they are expensive. what about factory pro? ive got good tyres and do spend 2-3 days a month on track. it had a yamaha factory ecu but yamaha took that bike at the end of the season last year.
.. so again, there aren't any. None OTHER than YEC kit v-stacks from Graves. Someone has given you bogus information that you "need" them, or can even get them. I think i did see one other company making them, but $700 as well. If ya have nothing better to spend $700 on, more power to ya :) There are a ton of other trick YEC parts.

Go to the Graves site. Price out some YEC parts. And no, riders don't change v-stacks from track to track. Maybe Jake Lewis does, but he and top pro's like him have a team of guys looking at data. The OEM variable v-stacks work just fine. If you start winning some expert races ............. you still won't need them.

and if the bike had a YEC ecu , you can't just plug a stock ECU into the harness. Did they reconfigure your plugs to accept the stock ecu? have you ran the bike with a stock ecu yet ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah its got a stock ecu in it and it runs just fine, a tiny bit rich i think as it pops a bit on downshifting. the bike was built by a reputable engineer here in new zealand. the bike was a nat level 600 supersport bike last year but its got a new ish engine in it and has only been raced once.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,700 Posts
yeah its got a stock ecu in it and it runs just fine, a tiny bit rich i think as it pops a bit on downshifting. the bike was built by a reputable engineer here in new zealand. the bike was a nat level 600 supersport bike last year but its got a new ish engine in it and has only been raced once.
so without racing it at all yourself yet, ya may find it runs just fine on track.. have you thought of that ? get the box flashed, put in on the dyno with a good tuner, put tires on it, and go. My guess is whoever raced it before did just fine with the stock v-stacks.

and popping on downshifting isn't always a rich condition.. i would stop looking for things that may be wrong, and see how it runs on track.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It did have graves stacks in it but being a previously sponsored team bike yamaha took back a couple of the flash bits at the end of the season. ive no idea why and dont care really. im not looking for things that can go wrong at all. its been on track with me 3 times and handles great apart from snatchy 1st gear roll on which was suprisingly worse than my zx10.

im just working out how much, if any, i need to spend on it after getting the ecu done(once i get a reply from bauce)

thanks for the replies by the way.

·
Registered
484 Posts
.. so again, there aren't any. None OTHER than YEC kit v-stacks from Graves.
Would you happen to know if the Graves kit just include the top plenums or the lower section as well? They have a rendered photo on their site but I'm confused if it includes the lower portion as well. I know they sell each separately for the R1.

EDIT: Nevermind, pretty sure it's a whole new assembly for both.

·
Registered
484 Posts
don't know, sorry .. but for $700 for a set of aftermarket v-stacks, i better get a rubdown and a tug with em too ! lol !
lol, well this has actually been a project I've been wanting to tackle myself for a while and am thinking about starting to do it soon. I can make all these parts with my 3D printer and it would cost MUCH less than $700; like 1/10 the price if I can do it efficiently.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,700 Posts
lol, well this has actually been a project I've been wanting to tackle myself for a while and am thinking about starting to do it soon. I can make all these parts with my 3D printer and it would cost MUCH less than $700; like 1/10 the price if I can do it efficiently.
knock yourself out :) the stockers work just fine though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i wouldn't go as far as to say it's stupid.. just lots of other things that would be a better use of the effort.
True, it's just if I have the time really. Already making a lot of other things at the moment; tank guards, quick shifter, front sprocket cover, front fairing stay, brake cooling ducts, etc. Would be fun to try out but it is a little more technical, I need to reverse engineer the stockers and then go from there. But hey, ain't nothing else to do in Wisconsin right now but sit around at a computer as the snow storms keep rolling through, waiting for the track season to start again! :popcorn:

·
Registered
1 Posts

Did you ever make the stacks ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts