Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Can you help me out :idea: I never use my bike in the rain but had to take it for a service last week whilst the roads where wet and full of grit salt :cuss After the service I hade to go to work so I put the bike away in the garage and left it. Today when I went to it the bike the salt off the road had caused white spots on my exhaust, they seem to be eatched into the satin of the exhaust I tryed Autosol paste and various products but they are still there. Can any of you help with my problem and let me know how to remove the spots from my pipe :?:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think if it actually bit right into the pipe the only way to fix it would be to polish the steel again? Which part of the pipe has the spots? Aluminum can? Salt and aluminum are a good combo at all...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like I will have to try to polish it out as its on the can and not the pipe :cuss

·
Registered
133 Posts
river said:
Hi All,
Can you help me out :idea: I never use my bike in the rain but had to take it for a service last week whilst the roads where wet and full of grit salt :cuss After the service I hade to go to work so I put the bike away in the garage and left it. Today when I went to it the bike the salt off the road had caused white spots on my exhaust, they seem to be eatched into the satin of the exhaust I tryed Autosol paste and various products but they are still there. Can any of you help with my problem and let me know how to remove the spots from my pipe :?:
Actually it loos better polished

Ratbike R6

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK looks like I'll have to polish it but how, as it look like a satin now, so how can I polish it as I've never done anything like that before :?:

·
Registered
494 Posts
First pull of the part your polishing...
Go out and get yourself some wet/dry sandpaper(grits 600, 1000, 1500, 2000) Get some fine rubbing compound, Mothers Aluminum Mag wheel polish... If the pits are really deep you have have to start with a rougher paper.
Using water to wet the sandpaper, start with the 600 grit paper... sand the pipe till it's smooth. I know it's already smooth but once you start you'll know what I mean. It will start to shine as you sand. Once it's uniform, switch paper... 1000 now, repeat the process, taking out the scratches that were produced from the 600 grit paper. It will start to get shiney. 1500 grit... sand like crazy, like you did for the first 2 papers, taking out the scratches left from the 1000 paper. do the same with the 1500 and 2000 grit papers. As you move on to the finer papers the aluminum will start to take on the shine you will be looking for. Especially when you get into the 1500/2000 stage. After all this you should look like you just came up from the coal mines. BLACK!!!! LOL
After you've finished with the 2000 paper and all the scratches are removed from the papers before it, it will be time to start with the paste(rubbing compound) You can get different grits in this too... Coarse, medium, fine, ultra fine... etc. You should have the fine. It's nice to have a wheel to do this with but it's not a big job to do it by hand... usin a soft cloth, start rubbing with the compound. This is to remove the scratches made by the 2000 paper! It will really be starting to shine by this time. After you get it where you want it, go at it with the Mothers Mag wheel polish... this should give it that mirror like finish. After this Never take it out in the salty wet raods again....
Now! I've never polished anything aluminum before BUT! The steps to the Mothers Aluminum polish is the process I use to polish guitars after I refinish them. Except I don't have to use the 600 grit paper because the finish is already super smooth...
If anyone has anything to add, by all means do! lol Like I say, i've never polished metal but I assume the process would be pretty close to this... :) Hope this help...

Alden

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, the marks arn't too deep at all so it should be OK, this looks like another one to add to my over winter jobs. Thanks again for the advice,
Cheerz :drink

·
Registered
69 Posts
salt damn u r lucky u don't live where i live!
about 100m from the beach!
leave your bike out it will rust!
go 4 a ride don't was it it will rust!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ye but living near the beach must have other advantages :hump :drink :hump :drink :hump :cheers :hump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts