Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you guys and gals think make the best helmet?? I love my shoei but sadly can't afford to own all the different brands. My first helmet was a HJC AC-10. It was very nice too. So my uninformed vote is SHOEI!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The best one is the one that fits your head the best.

Shoei, Arai, HJC, KBC, AGV, Suomy, Icon, Nolan, etc.

They all make good helmets, pick the one that fits yer melon the best!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
jasamb said:
I totally agree! :jump
At first when I was shopping for a helmet. I always thought the Shoei's were the best esp. their top of the line, X-Eleven helmets. But after trying most helmets, the best fits my coconut are the Arais! I ended up getting the corsairs and they are so comfortable, unline the E-eleven which I couldn't comfortable fit.

So basically, just got out there and try most of the helmets that interest you (looks, color) and then try how they fit. And don't forget to wear them for 5+ minutes while shopping at the store (MSF course instructor adviced us that when looking for a helmet).

~Mike~

·
Registered
531 Posts
Mikeeh76 said:
jasamb said:
I totally agree! :jump
At first when I was shopping for a helmet. I always thought the Shoei's were the best esp. their top of the line, X-Eleven helmets. But after trying most helmets, the best fits my coconut are the Arais! I ended up getting the corsairs and they are so comfortable, unline the E-eleven which I couldn't comfortable fit.

So basically, just got out there and try most of the helmets that interest you (looks, color) and then try how they fit. And don't forget to wear them for 5+ minutes while shopping at the store (MSF course instructor adviced us that when looking for a helmet).

~Mike~
I'm with these guys. If its a good fit & does what you want (venting, looks etc) then its the right one no matter what brand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Arai is the only thing that i want on my head
it's wonderfull
i went to to shop for a new helmet
i've tryed a helmet or six from differnt brands and there was not one helmet that fitted good on my head
then the salesman told me now we are going upstares were the arai helmets are located
then the salesman give's me a RX-7RR4 and i put it on my head
man what the **** was that
it fitted perfectly
and my choice was made

Arai i love it !!!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
XeRpiO said:
Arai is the only thing that i want on my head
it's wonderfull
i went to to shop for a new helmet
i've tryed a helmet or six from differnt brands and there was not one helmet that fitted good on my head
then the salesman told me now we are going upstares were the arai helmets are located
then the salesman give's me a RX-7RR4 and i put it on my head
man what the **** was that
it fitted perfectly
and my choice was made

Arai i love it !!!
Same here,I am glad the Arai fit my coconut better. It's one of the best out there. I would have loved to gotten the Shoei though, just didn't fit correctly. I would rather pay more for a safe & comfortable fitment for my head than sacrifice something I want just for looks. I maen you still can;t go wrong with Arai! I got the Corsair Hayden.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must have a bulbous giant head. My Shoei and my HJC fit like a charm. I like the advise to wear the helmet for a while when you are shopping! Too bad MC shops don't have wind tunnels so you can do wind noise checks! Perhaps I will include one when I open my MC dream shop!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
deserteaglepoint50 said:
............I like the advise to wear the helmet for a while when you are shopping!
I guess that's good I learned something from MSF safety course. :hammer

deserteaglepoint50 said:
.....Too bad MC shops don't have wind tunnels so you can do wind noise checks! Perhaps I will include one when I open my MC dream shop!
That's just too funny! :lmao
Maybe someday you will and we all have to take trip to your shop! :cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
hey guys I was in tryin on helmets today and the HJC CL-14 and an Arai both fit excellent. The only different I could tell was that the Arai weighed less. Do you think its ok to get the CL-14?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing that pushed me to buy a shoei and not a cheaper just as good helmet was that Shoei comes with a 5 year warrantee. I will bet that Arai has a similar warrantee. I figure that a lid will only last around 5 years then it will need to be replaced. I figure that the only thing that makes HJC and KBC etc cheaper is that they use cheaper materials for the vents and paint and visor attachments. So I got the more expensive "prolly won't break as soon" lid. Saftey wise the cheaper HJC etc have the same ratings as the Shoei / Arai. I didn't want to replace a cheaper helmet more often (at least that was the reasoning in my mind). Something you should check into. What do you all think? Am I too far off here?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah and the comfort and weight are a little different usually. There are other options like removeable liner for easy washing too. That is all I can think of.

My $.02

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Actually that was a very good point deserteagle.
I got the Arai since I wanted it to last, and not have
to replace a lid every 2+ years. Initially I wanted the X-Eleven by Shoei
and it just didn;t fit my head right. The Arai was just a great, comfortable fit.

I think the HJC is a great deal for the price, I mean if it has the rating from both DOT and Snell M2000, then it should be okay.

It is just that the Arai has more bells and whistles, like the corsairs has the steel mesh layer for added strength and to absorb the impact.
And also convenient vents etc.

And other helmets uses fiber glass layers.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
as for me i like the fit and feel of my arai rx7-corsair. i like everything about it, from the venting system to the washable pads. i have an old agv quasar also, but its an ancient model.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Try on different ones. My favorate right now is a Rf-900 Shoei. Haven't tired the new 1000 line but that Arai with the dragon on it is my second favorate.

BLADE

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
When I bought my helmet , I bought the Shoei because it was the most expensive therefore the best...right???

Well after thinking about it, if the helmet is DOT approved, that means it can protect your head in a crash no matter how expensive (or inexpensive) it is.

When I have to replace mine, I am going to try on helmets from all the different manufacturers and decide based on which one fits my noodle the best.

Mine is a 600 dollar helmet and my wife's is a 100 dollar HJC, and side to side it is tuff to see any REAL difference in quality between the two.

smiko said:
hey guys I was in tryin on helmets today and the HJC CL-14 and an Arai both fit excellent. The only different I could tell was that the Arai weighed less. Do you think its ok to get the CL-14?
That is a good helmet...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree totally.

A 600 dollar helmet isn't going to do as good as a 200 dollar one that fits right.

I just bought a Suomy last week. After reading up on them I guess they come with a BSI rating that is a bit better than some of the US ratings we have now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was wearing a HJC when I went down on my bike going 70 MPH. I'm still here, so they do wrk! The only difference I could think of would be the fact that one might give you more air venting to your head.
$.02

·
Registered
836 Posts
It all comes down to fit.

As much as I wanted to buy a cheaper helmet for racing... I just couldn't find one that fit right. So it was another Arai Quantum for me...

luckily I crashed wearing my old Quantum and not my brand new one. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts