Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just wanted to know, who here rides without mirrors and how do you guys find it? thinkin of takin em out for cosmetic reasons, but how annoying is it to ride without em?

jaden

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have done both, with and without. I was use to riding with the mirrors, so one day i decide that im going to go mirrorless (just for looks) and i just can't stand the fact that i can't see whats behind our around me without my turning my head.

·
Registered
712 Posts
MadChild said:
I have done both, with and without. I was use to riding with the mirrors, so one day i decide that im going to go mirrorless (just for looks) and i just can't stand the fact that i can't see whats behind our around me without my turning my head.
yeah...i was the same way, so now i pretty much leave them on all the time

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hate these mirrors that stick out so much, and the aftermarket ones that i like, i hear are crap(chicane mirrors) at which they dont even design them for specific application. whats a guy to do? ah well, anyone ride without them and have no problems?

jaden

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually just got rid of my mirrors like a week ago. I had been holding back because I like to see behind at stop lights. The mirrors are useless at 50mph+ cause of wind shaking them so I didnt care about when I ride cause I always look back anyways. I also made a how-to on my site if you dont wanna spend a wad of cash on block off plates. After my ride I decided I will no longer have mirrors. While I admit I was still a lil bothered not seeing behind while stopped at a light, I feel it made me ride better. I wasnt worried about whats behind me. I was concentrated on the road ahead. I only ride out in the middle of nowhere with no cars at 1am in the morning so thats why it was good for me. If I rode around in traffic during the day then i would prolly still have the mirrors. As far as aftermarket mirrors that dont stick out as far, they suck so you'd be better off with no mirrors.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
What is it about stock mirrors that sucks so bad?!!! It's the one thing they just never seem to be able to get right. I ride the more upright bikes and the give you an awesome view of your shoulders. Anytime you want to take a look at your shoulders, a quick look in the mirrors will assure you that they are still there. I have found that the bar end mirrors work the best when it comes to giving you a view to the rear and sides. The down fall is that they make your bike wide. This sucks when you try to squeeze between the garage and a parked car. CRG makes a nice folding bar end mirror.
http://www.919.org/bmir.htm
The down fall is that they are not cheap. I think I'm going to put a set on my Ducati Monster. I sell them if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to ride without mirrors at all, but once I tried the bar end mirrors thats all I'll use from now on. No mirrors was getting unsafe (not to mention I was paranoid of cops being behind me, lol)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, Im constantly checking behind me here in LA. Im watching to see if anyone is splitting up the lanes faster than me, and yeah, I just have to watch out for all the crazy drivers on the freeway. I would love to kill the mirrors, but a bar end mirror is just too far to look away when I can be going 80 and then there is a dead stop traffic the next second.

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
If you want mirrors and not have them on your bike I've head that the helmet mirrors are the best of both worlds. I have heard people swear at them and swear by them...

I probably would only use them on a helment that I would wear every day, not a helmet that I would wear to a bike night or something of that nature.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought my 01 R6 and it did not come with mirrors. The previous owner could not find them.. It really does not bother me that much not having them and I love the way it looks. However when I am at a stop light or on the highway just cruising I find that I wish they were there.. Will probobly invest in a pair just for the ease if knowing what is behind me the few times that I would like to.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I ride without. I like the looks of the bike alot more, and I actually feel safer. Yeah, i know it's a pain having to glance back quickly, but i feel much safer looking and knowing whats there then trusting a mirror.

Their are times when i think, "ah a mirror would have been nice for that" but not often.

Also, Im on a fire dept and constantly around cops, not once have they noticed and or said anything. One of the times being when i got pulled over and was ina flame war with the cop, he looked at everything trying to give whatever he could, still didn't notice them. I think it's cause the block-offs now made look so sleek and stock that they dont think...ah, mirrors should be there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just go to the next level, bling it out and add a rear view camera!

Wait a minute, maybe I'll do that. Have all the components sitting around doing nothing at home. Except my 6" screen will be pretty big for the R6. Hmmm, maybe even throw my DVD player in the trunk?! :mrgreen:

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
car2slo said:
Just go to the next level, bling it out and add a rear view camera!

Wait a minute, maybe I'll do that. Have all the components sitting around doing nothing at home. Except my 6" screen will be pretty big for the R6. Hmmm, maybe even throw my DVD player in the trunk?! :mrgreen:
that's already been done.... I saw it somewhere..... I can't remember....

anyways... I had a dream the other night that included no mirrors on my bike...... weird....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I took Mine off and I didn't like the feeling of not seeing the cager behind me, who's on the cell phone, and doesn't see me stopped on the stop lights. I've had to move out of the way on more than one occassion for them. So' I've settled for the CRG bar end mirror. It doesn't vibrate at speed, it's compact, and best of all you can actually see what's behind you.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
RatbikeR6 said:
So' I've settled for the CRG bar end mirror.
what happend to your other bar end mirror? i use the same bar end mirror you had before you moved. i found a way to mount it on the bike without getting the clutch lever to hit the mirror and still use the stock bar end to get rid of the vibration. it takes some machining on a lathe, but i think it could be done with a simple drill press.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I ridev mirrorless and it's not so bad. I even have the puny 2inch crg barend and it's serves it's purpose. I can see behind me maybe not as great as with the stock but gppd enough. This two inch one isn't that expensive either

·
Registered
133 Posts
what happend to your other bar end mirror? [/quote]

Couldn't see with it... It vibrated too much to make out the poe poe behind me. LOL I purchased the CRG from McCoy's and it's the bomb. It doesn't impede the clutch operations at all. Kinda expensive though $85.00 dollars I think. Hell It looks like Jay's Bike.... damn thing looks identical to mine.... Mirror and Bike. LOL

Nice Bike Jay, if you get the front lite covers it even makes the bike more wicked looking :twisted:

Jay Do you have 70 series on the front? Just wondering cuz you've lowered your forks. I'm thinking about slapping the 70s up front but, don't know how much to lower the forks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.