Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who has done this yet on their '03, what gearing, who's gears/chain, and how you like it.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
520 conversion seems unnecessary to me unless you plan on running your bike on the track A LOT!

The stock 530 should be sufficient on the street for a 600.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i forgot to mention, I'm a big guy to be on a R6 6'3" 220. Just looking for a little more ease for my second gear bounce

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yea, go up two teeth in the back and down one in the front.

520 if you want, but I think the stock chain size should suffice.

Check the price, because you may want to change out the chain anyway if you get new sprockets, not changing the chain is like changing your oil and not changing the filter (or so Ive heard)

You should be able to bounce her up without trouble though.

Second gear, 55-60 mph, stand up, let off the throttle quick, bend your knees, give it a big bounce and whack the throttle quick and HARD! Keep your arms and legs straight, your bike will bring your big self right up.

PS If you try this, careful not to flip over, if you do it right, the bike will come up FAST

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch, we can definitly all wait till the day that happens. I'm comfortable with wheelies, however not sitting down and stand-ups feel alot smoother for me. Probably cause of my size.
Thanks for the heads up though :!:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey go 520 - it's a little know fact but you will gain about 3 bhp at the back wheel just through saving drive train losses - a 520 kit with alloy sprokets like Renthall will weigh about 4 lbs lighter than stock.

I've also gone up 2 on the back sproket just to launch a bit quicker and I don't notice the couple of mph I loose at the top

1 - 9 of 9 Posts