Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The reverse side of those holes are flared. If they were a little lower I'd speculate water drain. YC is right, they're factory.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
whaaa??? What sand cast cases have rando holes formed in them??
Easy fix but factory? I dont think so.
lol they're machined holes obviously. castings can have holes. it called cores. trust me, I worked making molds for the casting industry for 6 years. how do you think they get all the coolant jackets in the head and block?

I was saying maybe there in that spot so the robots can pick it up etc. or it's so they can sit on a stand the way they need it. im 99% sure mine had them also. intuit can tell us. he has the same bike

here is how it works,

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
lol they're machined holes obviously. castings can have holes. it called cores. trust me, I worked making molds for the casting industry for 6 years. how do you think they get all the coolant jackets in the head and block?

from the looks of the pic seems to be on the back side of the engine in the transmission area and not very cleanly bored. Cant say Ive ever seen holes done like that. Weep holes for water? Again never seen anything like that on a stock casting.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Mine has them. Contrary to assumptions, these aluminum alloys do degrade, but it shows as white powdery splotches; and that's what we're seeing in the photos.

The side he photographed is flat, but the other side is flared, like these.

It opens up to the area beneath the seat, so the amount of corrosion is minimal; looks clean as opposed to the other side. It may be that corrosion that gives the OP's photograph the rough "drilled" look. Based on the other side I doubt they're machined; though it's still perfectly possible.

Maybe they stuck wires through these holes for hanging them up while dipping them or something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts