Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Well at the time when I bought mine,before I learned anything about motorcycles really, The salesman told me that the R6 made a lot more power higher up in the rpm range and it was harder to drive on the streets. He owned one and said it was better suited for the track. Now the R6s on the other hand made more power down lower where you would use it on the streets. At the time I never thought I would take it to the track so it all made sense in my mind. Plus it was cheaper and I already had a truck payment to make so I got the S model.

Now in the advent of power commanders, Full exhausts, Chip controlled intakes anything is possible really. I love my bike to death and do not regret it at all. In the end it comes down to rider skill anyway, So you can keep your 10 extra HP. Ill just out ride you in the twistys.:fact

·
Registered
372 Posts
Honestly for me was the front fascia. I didnt like the 6's font. I like my S fascia alot better. Cost wasnt the deciding factor nor was the performance difference. Anything I own vehicular wise has to catch my eye and not make Ime think wished they made this different. So my choice was a asthetic shoice not a performance. I would own both but if I am going to pay for one its going to be the one that looks better to me and for me that was the S for the 08 models.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've always been a fan on the 03-05 body styles. I wanted a new bike so I went with the S. It's cheaper and numerous used and aftermarket parts are available for it. The lower power band was also a selling point. Most riders can't even tap into the full potential of the R6S let alone the R6R.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Price. Plus riding is all about the rider, not the bike, and I don't have the skills to exploit the little extra the R6 has anyway.

·
what?
906 Posts
Well at the time when I bought mine,before I learned anything about motorcycles really, The salesman told me that the R6 made a lot more power higher up in the rpm range and it was harder to drive on the streets. He owned one and said it was better suited for the track. Now the R6s on the other hand made more power down lower where you would use it on the streets. At the time I never thought I would take it to the track so it all made sense in my mind. Plus it was cheaper and I already had a truck payment to make so I got the S model.

Now in the advent of power commanders, Full exhausts, Chip controlled intakes anything is possible really. I love my bike to death and do not regret it at all. In the end it comes down to rider skill anyway, So you can keep your 10 extra HP. Ill just out ride you in the twistys.:fact
+1 :D

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Also, you're riding position is a bit more up-right on an S which makes it a better bike for street riding & commuting to work.

·
I miss the 600cc fun.
212 Posts
I chose to own my S because i've been dreaming of an 03-05 gens because of the front fascia as mentioned it also helped out with a better output when I installed my HID kid but then again if 09 came out with a S again but with a R6R rear i'd be on that trend in a quickness....

Oh one more thing atleast my S isn't like the R6R because I get to mod on a shorty slip or any kind of GP style slip on and not have to worry about spending extra bucks because of the huge box under my bike to cut out the pure noise level of what GP slip on's are for :fact :nocontrol

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got the R6s because of more low end power, better looks, and more confort. I got my bike as a daily driver with flair. With a hour commute time to the south office somedays, its so much more comfortable.

·
Ride It Like It's Stolen!
1,171 Posts
I'll probably never tap into my "S's" full potential. (Maybe one day) I actually went into the dealership with every intention of buying the R6. I've read a lot of posotive reviews about the "S". So mostly cost...and the way I'd be using the bike. Commuting/Weekend warrior type stuff. Did not intend to use on the track. (Although the track looks like it would be a blast) But I love my "S"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
am I weird to find the R6 much more comfier than the R6S? I had a cbr before an R6 and I hopped on the S model and couldn't get used to it at all. The R6 just felt alot better to me personally.. plus, that tank doesn't get in the way when I make u turns ;)

·
R6'ing
138 Posts
I got my 2006 R6 used from a dealer and actually perferred the ergos of it to the R6s. I sat on both and multiple times as i went in there multiple times before buying, and the R6 just felt more comfortable. The body posistion was more favorable too as i like how far foward i am on the R6. Both are great bikes with a lot of power and great handling that you can just flick from side to side. Just guess the R6 did more for me then the R6s.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i like the older body style...the new one just looks fat and ugly imo. coulda picked a 07 r6 up for 100$ more so cost wasnt a concern. i felt more comfortable on my S, and preferred the look more. simple, clean, and i get alot of compliments on my bike. this is also my first street bike, so theres no way the extra power would have benefit me as my experience isnt nearly enough to have this bike 'maxed out'. an extra 5-10hp that the newer one has can easily be made up with a few upgrades and a rider mod.

·
YUT UGHHHH
464 Posts
Price. If I could do it all again I would have waited 2 more weeks when the dealer dropped the price of leftover '07 R1's to the same as the '08 R6s...

·
Registered
140 Posts
i like the look of the S better, but it mainly came down to price. i'm a poor college student and ~$1000 makes a huge difference. i actually went looking for a SV650. i'm glad i got the r6 instead.

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
in the dealership, the S just looked soo much cleaner. Plus they had it in candy red, whereas they didnt have any r6r in that color. and projector headlights are undoubtly alot better looking
+1 price
i do really appreciate the R6r's look though

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the 6, and the deciding factor was, i didn't even know there was such a thing as an S until i started buying parts for it on the net. But even if i had known about the S i still would have gotten the 6... the S and the older styles look good, but i think the 6 just looks down right evil... The guys at my work say it looks like a wasp, which it kinda does i guess. Oh and i got it for 5700 with 5000 miles on it, so i guess price was a deciding factor to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I preferred the looks of the S over the R6, and the low end power. I almost had my heart broken though, All the S's were sold in Minnesota except the one I have now. All the dealerships I called said, "We have the regular R6 in stock", I would tell them, not interested. After 3 days of calling around, I found mine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I got mine because of the aesthetics. The front of the bike is so much better looking in my opinion. Plus I plan on doing angel eyes and it looks so sick with 4 AE's.

The price was about 1500 cheaper then what i would have paid.

I loved the candy red.

And lasty, the gauge and speedo just looked way more pleasing. I loved the design.

To each his own right? :toocool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts