Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why wouldnt it be as good? the main thing is that the cat is gone. mjs claims a 7 hp gain. a graves system only gets like 6 hp. your stock system is titanium so why pay a ton of money for another set of them? just wantin to know how it could be that different?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I have to wonder what the welds look like on the inside of the MJS setup. I know that the Akra I put on my Kawi is top of the line. The welds are top notch and the piping is very smooth. The diameter increase was not much, but then, we are talking about a 600cc bike so not much is needed. Also, there is way more to exhaust tuning than the peak hp gains. A good system will have a nice, linear powerband, often more smooth (and powerful) than stock. There shouldn't be any dips or flat spots in the power. Also, look for healthy gains across the rpm range, not just in one spot. A 3 hp gain across 9k rpms can be much better than 5 hp for 1.5k near the redline, especially in the real world. Do the research before you buy folks. I am not saying MJS is bad stuff or anything, I have not looked into it, but I urge you all to do some basic reading on exhaust, then call the companies you are interested in before buying. Just my two cents.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
R & D

And its not a Yamaha approved system like the well know brands like Akrapovic.

And MJS header, is just your stock pipe modified, where Yosh or Akra or Leo vince have all different types of pipes an custom bends an all that stuff. And LOTS AND LOTS OF R & D.

To me... its as good as a full exhaust setup. and i cant be happier.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
The full exhaust is better simply because it for one lessens the overall weight of your bike. The stock exhaust is very heavy. Second, the full exhaust is designed to provide you the most effective and efficient way to maximize performance from the exhaust side of the equation. Adding a mid-pipe and thinking you are getting the same efficiency is simply piece-mealing the exhaust together.

As for the Akrapovic is a Yamaha Approved Design, I'm not sure I buy into that argument. The exhaust manufactures design each system for a particular bike. If anything Graves goes with Yamaha, like Yosh goes with Suzuki's. Don't get me wrong, Akrapovic is an excellent full exhaust systems.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
+1 on above. Paytheon is right. These companies put a lot of time and money into their stuff to make sure it is awesome...thats why its so damn expensive. I have to agree, if you want the best Yami pipe, you get a graves. Suzuki is Yoshi..Muzzy for Kawi (maybe). And for a honda, you get a MFing coffee can sized fart pipe. YEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

·
Get on it
321 Posts
the mjs header is designed off the stock header. look at different exhaust from respectable companies like arrow, akro, or graves. they look different than the stock header and is made to a better quality. you get what you pay for. remember that an engine needs some backpressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok but what about the leo vince corsa system i hear that its really good too. what do you think? i like the way vince sounds the best. atleast from youtube vids.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
I love my Full SBK System...

It all has to do with R&D like harrison said, there isnt much more to say than the MJS is a CHEAP alternative to a full system, cuts instead of manderal bends. The HP gains are not proven except by numbers he has produced on a dyno he used. I know you can get dynos to read different numbers and a lot of it has to do with elevation, temp, humidity, etc. Its all in how much you want to spend and the quality you are expecting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dont doubt that a full system makes more power than a mid pipe/slip on. but come on people, what are we talking about here like 1 maybe 2 horse power. The way I see it, unless your goin to the track and looking for every last drop from your bike, save the money and go with a mid pipe/ slip on combo. If you really have to have the absolute fastest shit on the street tho, why not step it up and get cams and other motor work while your at it. These things are fast enough out the box, save the money.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I dont doubt that a full system makes more power than a mid pipe/slip on. but come on people, what are we talking about here like 1 maybe 2 horse power. The way I see it, unless your goin to the track and looking for every last drop from your bike, save the money and go with a mid pipe/ slip on combo. If you really have to have the absolute fastest shit on the street tho, why not step it up and get cams and other motor work while your at it. These things are fast enough out the box, save the money.
We are not talking about 1 or 2 horse power. The weight alone is significant. You lose 12lbs of weight by going with a full exhaust system. If you don't have a full exhaust and a PCIII or Bazzaz, you really have no idea how much different your bike becomes. You wouldn't be able to recognize it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are not talking about 1 or 2 horse power. The weight alone is significant. You lose 12lbs of weight by going with a full exhaust system. If you don't have a full exhaust and a PCIII or Bazzaz, you really have no idea how much different your bike becomes. You wouldn't be able to recognize it.
all the weight is from the cat so a full system is'nt that much lighter than a mid pipe and slip-on combo. But i would still rather have the full system, there tuned to go together. i think im just gonna save and get the leo vince corsa system. i think it looks and sounds the best.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
The weight savings is not only in the cat... Its in the metal itself.

When you are talking about sportbikes, 1-2 hp is a fairly significant gain on top of dropping a ton of weight on the belly.

There simply is no comparison.

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
all the weight is from the cat so a full system is'nt that much lighter than a mid pipe and slip-on combo. But i would still rather have the full system, there tuned to go together. i think im just gonna save and get the leo vince corsa system. i think it looks and sounds the best.

+1 on the weight issue. My stock header is a hell of a lot heavier than my mjs header. The majority of the weight IS in the cat. I lost at least 10lbs and you can really feel the difference. A full system header is not all that much lighter than a modded header w/ a midpipe. And if your bike is tuned right, the gains will be significant, for those of you who really care about numbers. How many people here can honestly say they ride well enough to be able to really use the added hp?? That they're not getting all they can out of their bikes unless they get the top of the line exhaust system. Don't get me wrong, these top, name brand aftermarket full systems are nice and proven to be efficient, and if you got a lot of extra cash, hell, go for it!! Personally, I'd rather get a nice, decent setup and spend more money on tracktime. But that's just me. I don't need the sweetest, shiniest, full system so I can say "Look at me, I have a Leo Vince or Akrapovic full system on my bike and I'm gettin XXX hp to the wheel!!" F all that. Get out and ride!!!!!! :FU

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
Dood... you spent over $500 on a slip on STRICTLY FOR THE LOOKS and thats your response? Pretty nieve.

Come out to RFR and lets hit the track... We shall see.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
The weight savings is not only in the cat... Its in the metal itself.

When you are talking about sportbikes, 1-2 hp is a fairly significant gain on top of dropping a ton of weight on the belly.

There simply is no comparison.
+1 on the weight issue. My stock header is a hell of a lot heavier than my mjs header. The majority of the weight IS in the cat. I lost at least 10lbs and you can really feel the difference. A full system header is not all that much lighter than a modded header w/ a midpipe. And if your bike is tuned right, the gains will be significant, for those of you who really care about numbers. How many people here can honestly say they ride well enough to be able to really use the added hp?? That they're not getting all they can out of their bikes unless they get the top of the line exhaust system. Don't get me wrong, these top, name brand aftermarket full systems are nice and proven to be efficient, and if you got a lot of extra cash, hell, go for it!! Personally, I'd rather get a nice, decent setup and spend more money on tracktime. But that's just me. I don't need the sweetest, shiniest, full system so I can say "Look at me, I have a Leo Vince or Akrapovic full system on my bike and I'm gettin XXX hp to the wheel!!" F all that. Get out and ride!!!!!! :FU
Truth is I don't really know what a mid-pipe and slip-on can weight reduction is in comparison to a full Ti Exhaust system. My guess is there is about a 3-4 pound difference. Eitherway, I went with the full exhaust system and it makes a huge difference over the stock exhaust. That's the facts I know.

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
Dood... you spent over $500 on a slip on STRICTLY FOR THE LOOKS and thats your response? Pretty nieve.

Come out to RFR and lets hit the track... We shall see.

I spent $530 on it through Motomummy, which is typically what you would pay for any other slip-on. What's your point?? My exact words were "I'd rather get a nice, decent setup and spend more money on track time". Getting a Termi slip-on and a modded stock header definitely qualifies as a nice, decent setup, don't you think?? I spent about half the amount you did on my exhaust system and I doubt your bike weighs less or produces more hp than mine does. You wanted a Leo Vince system and you had the cash to spend... Cool. Good for you!! :jump

And how about this.... Pay for my gas and trackday and I'll be right there. Otherwise, keep you lame threats to yourself, especially when we're on almost opposite ends of the country. So the chance of us ending up on the same track together to see who's dick is bigger is pretty much impossible.

·
Sex on 2 Wheels
428 Posts
Truth is I don't really know what a mid-pipe and slip-on can weight reduction is in comparison to a full Ti Exhaust system. My guess is there is about a 3-4 pound difference. Eitherway, I went with the full exhaust system and it makes a huge difference over the stock exhaust. That's the facts I know.
And that's cool. Full systems are bad ass if you're willing to shell out the money for 'em. If not, mid-pipes aren't a bad way to go. It's whatever you want. I'm personally happy with my modded stock header and Termi slip-on. :YEA

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
And that's cool. Full systems are bad ass if you're willing to shell out the money for 'em. If not, mid-pipes aren't a bad way to go. It's whatever you want. I'm personally happy with my modded stock header and Termi slip-on. :YEA
Nothing wrong going any direction really. As you stated, as long as you are happy. That's all the counts.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts