Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been browsing the forums, not really looking for anything in particular and a thought struck me. Why do so many people sell bikes that by all accounts should be paid off? And I understand if they just want different motorcycle, but I've seen reasons like 'I'm buying a house' or 'I'm having a baby'. If you have no intention of quitting the sport, why not just garage it?

Really not a big deal, just up late and curious. Safe riding everyone!

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
Well, not that anyone cares, but here is my story. I've been debating on selling my r6, getting a paint job on my neon, and buying an engagement ring. Things change, people change, and people grow up or out of the hobby. A track bike with blinkers is hardly transportation. I bought my r6 after my friend bought his zx6r. He got his g/f pregnant and his bike got stolen. then he moved away to vegas. I now have no one to ride with. It is getting harder everyday to justify keeping it. However, the prices on them are getting smaller and smaller in my opinion is the same damn bike as the brand new ones. Its starting to be "not worth" getting rid of it. They haven't changed much in 8 years. They've gotten slower.

I totally get what you're saying though. I bought a xr600r for 1800 bucks. Don't ride it much because i haven't bought the bigger gas tank so I'm kind of limited to what I can do with it. Costs absolutely nothing to maintain. Just gotta make sure to ride it enough so the gas doesn't go to crap. Just leave it in the garage and nick name it the lawnmower.

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
To free up cash or take responsibility.
I know a few people who needed money and the bike was the best option to get it. People have kids and believe it's not right to take such risk when you have a family to think about. To finance other toys many many reasons

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Motorcycles are like toys. So when more pressing matters occur that require some cash, toys are generally the first things to go to free up that needed money. I don't think it's hard to understand why people do it.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Motorcycles are like toys. So when more pressing matters occur that require some cash, toys are generally the first things to go to free up that needed money. I don't think it's hard to understand why people do it.
Apparently it is for some. :lmao

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mr

Well, not that anyone cares, but here is my story. I've been debating on selling my r6, getting a paint job on my neon, and buying an engagement ring. Things change, people change, and people grow up or out of the hobby. A track bike with blinkers is hardly transportation. I bought my r6 after my friend bought his zx6r. He got his g/f pregnant and his bike got stolen. then he moved away to vegas. I now have no one to ride with. It is getting harder everyday to justify keeping it. However, the prices on them are getting smaller and smaller in my opinion is the same damn bike as the brand new ones. Its starting to be "not worth" getting rid of it. They haven't changed much in 8 years. They've gotten slower.

I totally get what you're saying though. I bought a xr600r for 1800 bucks. Don't ride it much because i haven't bought the bigger gas tank so I'm kind of limited to what I can do with it. Costs absolutely nothing to maintain. Just gotta make sure to ride it enough so the gas doesn't go to crap. Just leave it in the garage and nick name it the lawnmower.
You sell your bike to fund an engagement ring :mad:. Enjoy your GROSSLY overpriced piece of carbon, it will provide you with hours of uninterrupted entertainment. Diamonds are literally worth maybe $10-50 a carat.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
no point in having a 5 thousand dollar show piece collecting dust in the garage....its to free up funds and add cash in the bank...most people pay for full coverage insurance so not only is that the worth of your bike in the account but 100+ a month in your pocket as well..peoples interests change and priorities...you can always get another bike down the line

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

This might be the most depressing post I've ever read.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many valid reasons, thanks for the insight.

As for this, some people might see motorcycles as toys, but I would like to believe that the majority of people on this forum and in motorcycling in general do it for the love of the sport. Not just as some hobby.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Many valid reasons, thanks for the insight.

As for this, some people might see motorcycles as toys, but I would like to believe that the majority of people on this forum and in motorcycling in general do it for the love of the sport. Not just as some hobby.
This may come as a surprise to you, but just because you have a passion for bikes doesn't mean it's smart to keep them when you need to free up some cash for a down payment on a house, house repairs, etc etc.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
This may come as a surprise to you, but just because you have a passion for bikes doesn't mean it's smart to keep them when you need to free up some cash for a down payment on a house, house repairs, etc etc.
Uh... if we were all that "smart" we wouldnt be riding "donor" cycles as my medical friends like to call them. Of course they pedal around on bicycles worth 4x my R6, so there's that. :lmao

All my "smart" & "responsible" friends live in houses too expensive to have an interesting hobby or fly out to Vegas on business waaaaay too often to be legitimate.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
This. As much as i love riding, if shit comes up and i NEED the money, the bikes are going to be some of the earlier things to go. I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do in order to get by.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
This. As much as i love riding, if shit comes up and i NEED the money, the bikes are going to be some of the earlier things to go. I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do in order to get by.
I think alot of folks dont answer that question truthfully.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
If you need the money, and your bike is a toy, it should be one of the first things to go.

Your R6 might cost 5-6k right now. But if you need the money, and wont need a bike for 5-10 years, then your bike will now be 5-10 years older and worth about 3-5k regardless if it has the same amount of miles. Where as if you sold it, your 5-6k bike would buy you a newer and better bike. Technology increases by the day.

Same thing with TVs and Computers. You might have a top of the line TV today, but if you need the money, sell it now while it still retains value. 5-10 years down the road, that LCD tv will be just a pile of junk you pay to haul away just like those CRT televisions and monitors. Then later down the road you can just buy that better TV when you have the money.

Pentium 4 processors were the best things ever when they came out. Now you laugh when you hear of a 1.3 ghz single core with 512 mb of ram.

Your bike will eventually turn into a dinosaur. And not even a good dinosaur. It might have sentimental value to you, but to everyone else it will be a 20 y.o. bike that is ugly as shit.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
What does being paid off have to do with anything? So if you buy all your bikes with cash then you expect people to never sell them? That's crazy. If that were the case my garage would be stuffed with bikes! :sing Oh, wait...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts