Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The track is crack.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through a lot of threads on here about who makes track fairings, what the pros and cons are of each, fitment issues, cost, etc etc. However, I don't see a clear reason as to WHY you would NEED them, except to save or sell your expensive OEM plastics.

I am tracking out my R6, and I am selling the parts/plastics that are not required for the track (check out my for sale thread :) ). I have looked at all the options for track fairings, and they range from $500-$750. I am not going to get near this much for my OEM plastics because you can buy a brand new whole set on eBay for like $475. Not to mention mine are damaged from a low side at NJMP.

Does it make sense to sell my OEM fairings and spend all that extra $ for track fairings? What is the benefit? What if I just seal up the headlight holes, seal the belly pan, and maybe buy a race tail? Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Track plastics are generally for guys that haven't screwed up their OEM fairings yet.

In your case, I'd say it's up to you. However, the other huge plus to the track fairings is that they are stupid easy to install/remove for bike maintenance, not to mention are much easier to repair in the event of a crash. OEM bodywork on bikes (Just not the R6) has a tendency to "explode" when crashed, especially with these newer bikes and the layered bodywork design.

But for track day work, there's really no need to seal up the belly pan or buy a race tail. I know a lot of track day junkies that just run rashed OEM plastics.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You can always find a cheap, wrecked set if you're tight on money. Not to mention they are generally easy to repair if you know how to fiberglass (easy to learn anyways) along with the other points High Side mentioned. Fitment issues are really only prevalent when you get new fairings since it takes some lining up, drilling, etc.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Does it make sense to sell my OEM fairings and spend all that extra $ for track fairings? What is the benefit? What if I just seal up the headlight holes, seal the belly pan, and maybe buy a race tail? Thanks in advance for your advice.
There are companies like optimal that sell complete sets of bodywork for ~$350. Or if youre patient... you might score a deal through classifieds or even strolling through a race weekend pit area.

The benefit? Fluid retention & ease of access. Sometimes you even find a critical fastener or component just rolling around the pan. Like my friend that lost his shift linkage and eventually found it in the belly pan. :lmao

Of course you can make your own fancy catch pan with one of those foil turkey pans & some zip ties. :D

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
you can run the OEM plastics, but take out the headlights and sell them if they are in good conditions, should fetch you enough $$ for one trackday fees.

If you can find cheap/used track fairings, may be rashed up, but who cares, I'd recommend getting those if your plan is to track only that bike. Makes it a lot easier to take them off for oil changes, on track repair work, etc.

If you have good pieces, then part it out instead of selling as a set, may fetch you a bit more $$ for each part, but it may take a while before you sell all the pieces :laugh Convenient it would be sell as a set, but not many want a full set that is rashed up, unless its stoopid cheap.

·
The track is crack.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this will be a track only bike. I got myself a 2011 Yamaha Stryker for the road :menace. R6 headlights, flushmounts, tail light, and passenger pegs are already sold. Got smog block off plates, so I'll be removing air induction system. At some point in the future: -1/+2 gearing, rear sets, clip-ons, umbrella babe....

I see how it would be less of a hassle to work on. I think those f---ing plastic fasteners are designed to break no matter how careful you are. But my rashed OEM fairings don't seem to be getting much interest, and not counting on getting a lot back if they do sell. Just thinking maybe save my money for other goodies rather than track fairings.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
You plan on doing any track days at Summit this year? Probably going to sell my old Armour Bodies bodywork. Crashed once, rashed, but nothing that affects the fit or serviceability. Rattle canned green with some shark teeth decals on the side. I was going to put it up for $300.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
I'd go track fairing, you never know if you want to ride the damn thing on the street. I personally cant afford the track on a regular bases. Also you never know if you'll want to sell the bike and upgrade.

When I'm ready to let mine go, it's going back to stock set up and im selling all the goodies to make some scratch back.

You plan on doing any track days at Summit this year? Probably going to sell my old Armour Bodies bodywork. Crashed once, rashed, but nothing that affects the fit or serviceability. Rattle canned green with some shark teeth decals on the side. I was going to put it up for $300.
That is a deal right there.

·
The track is crack.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Summit is too far. I'm scheduled for a weekend at NYST. Send me a PM with pics of the fairings and maybe we can work out a deal to ship them. :)

I already have another bike for the road. I can only ride one at a time, and the Stryker is just soooooo comfortable. I decided to track out the R6 since I wasn't riding it much besides the track days, and now I don't have to pay for insurance or registration (read - more track days).

I was hoping to sell the stock fairings, so I could afford race fairings. I can't afford to keep the stock AND buy race ones. If I would sell the bike later I would just buy aftermarket fairings at that point.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
You don't need them, but they make repairs easier and the belly pan is a huge plus, as it's been mentioned. I usually keep the OEM stuff to put on if I ever sell.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
this will be a track only bike. I got myself a 2011 Yamaha Stryker for the road :menace. R6 headlights, flushmounts, tail light, and passenger pegs are already sold. Got smog block off plates, so I'll be removing air induction system. At some point in the future: -1/+2 gearing, rear sets, clip-ons, umbrella babe....

I see how it would be less of a hassle to work on. I think those f---ing plastic fasteners are designed to break no matter how careful you are. But my rashed OEM fairings don't seem to be getting much interest, and not counting on getting a lot back if they do sell. Just thinking maybe save my money for other goodies rather than track fairings.
skip the -1\+2 for the track youll be just fine with stock or -1\stock. if the stock plastics are rashed then just use them for now. spend your money on tires and track days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts