Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Poop sex
738 Posts
It might. You dont want a tank off an 08 anyway though. Ive heard the metal is really thin on the 08's tanks and if they hit the pavement they are really suseptable to catching fire.

· Poop sex
738 Posts
the 06-07 gas tank is just as likely to catch fire as the 08-09.
from what I understand the 08 is the worst of the bunch. They were fine in 06 and 07 then change it up in 08 found the problem and then made the tank thicker again in 09.

· Premium Member
11,254 Posts
It might. You dont want a tank off an 08 anyway though. Ive heard the metal is really thin on the 08's tanks and if they hit the pavement they are really suseptable to catching fire.
from what I understand the 08 is the worst of the bunch. They were fine in 06 and 07 then change it up in 08 found the problem and then made the tank thicker again in 09.
the problem started with the 06-07s - it was with the shape of the tank. they changed it in 08 to help prevent the fires and the 09s are the same tanks as the 08. mine's proof that they can withstand a nice little knock on the side... both sides... a few times... :sing

· Registered
73 Posts
the problem started with the 06-07s - it was with the shape of the tank. they changed it in 08 to help prevent the fires and the 09s are the same tanks as the 08. mine's proof that they can withstand a nice little knock on the side... both sides... a few times... :sing
This is what I read as well, which is why I bought an 08 Tank

· Premium Member
30,415 Posts
08+ WILL fit on an 06/07 with a tiny mod to the fuel pump "pin" and a couple hoses. obviously, you'd need different "side tank panels" or tank panties, and a new tank cover, but other than that, you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.