Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much what the title says. I want to run a trackday with my iPhone mounted on my right clip-on via RAM mount.

I'm going to Fontana this weekend. I also found a lap timer app for my iPhone - Harry's Lap Timer. The built-in GPS isn't great, but I'd like to see how bad it is before I potentially invest in an external GPS to improve the accuracy, or ditch the idea completely. You get a transponder at Auto Club, so I'll have something to compare it to.

Anyone know if I'll get shit during tech inspection?

This is the mount:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-B-174-AP6U-Reservoir/dp/B00361ERSG[/ame]

It screws into the clamp that holds the brake reservoir onto the right clip-on.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just dont have it on there when you go to tech...the Track Orgs I have ran with didn't Tech my bike EACH time i go out, They do it once in the morning, and after a crash....
Well, yeah, I could always take that approach. :laugh I'd rather do it on the up & up though, and not run the risk of getting black flagged in the middle of a good session cause some corner worker spots it.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's a good point that didn't really cross my mind. I just got it bolted it up to the bike and it looked kind of weird and clumsy looking - but probably no more than a GoPro mounted on the tank. It's easy enough to take off if it's a problem. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As a trackday organizer, here's another point of view. :)

After having about 10 cameras/etc fall off over the years, we are now requiring all cameras and stuff to pass tech. We're going to give out "camera" stickers and if you don't have a sticker and try to roll out with a camera ... you'll be sent back and miss your session.

We are riding at 100+ mph and having things falling off bikes is very dangerous... and unnecessarily adds more risk to an already risky sport.

For us, the item the OP put up would pass as long as things had a backup tether like safety wire or zip ties. If something is bolted, that is fine... but any velcro, suction cups, etc needs a HARD tether backup.

My recommendation is to do this... regardless of whether or not your trackday org requires it.

·
B4B
12,776 Posts

After having about 10 cameras/etc fall off over the years, we are now requiring all cameras and stuff to pass tech. We're going to give out "camera" stickers and if you don't have a sticker and try to roll out with a camera ... you'll be sent back and miss your session.

We are riding at 100+ mph and having things falling off bikes is very dangerous... and unnecessarily adds more risk to an already risky sport.

For us, the item the OP put up would pass as long as things had a backup tether like safety wire or zip ties. If something is bolted, that is fine... but any velcro, suction cups, etc needs a HARD tether backup.

My recommendation is to do this... regardless of whether or not your trackday org requires it.
Good point!

·
She wants me to twist it!
882 Posts

Ive got a contour HD and its got the double sided tape sticky back mounts. Ive got one on my helmet and I want to put a few on my the fairings. Does the sticky tape work fine by itself? Its got a quick release string/clip from the camera to the base plate but the base plate is only held on with sticky tape. Would I have to drill holes through the base plate and bolt it to my fairing too.

Sorry not trying to hyjack the thread But I saw it as a similar question.
Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive got a contour HD and its got the double sided tape sticky back mounts. Ive got one on my helmet and I want to put a few on my the fairings. Does the sticky tape work fine by itself? Its got a quick release string/clip from the camera to the base plate but the base plate is only held on with sticky tape. Would I have to drill holes through the base plate and bolt it to my fairing too.

Sorry not trying to hyjack the thread But I saw it as a similar question.
Thanks.
Sticky tape will not be sufficient for us anymore. I have the contour also and I attach one end of the tether to something besides the base plate.

This is the mount I use
http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/7588/moto-and-d-racing-products.htm

If you look at the photo in the top right, imagine the tether going from the contour camera to the camera mount plate.

In your case, you could either drill the bodwork nearby... or attach a longer tether to anything nearby that can't fall off.

·
882 Posts
Sticky tape will not be sufficient for us anymore. I have the contour also and I attach one end of the tether to something besides the base plate.

This is the mount I use
http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/7588/moto-and-d-racing-products.htm

If you look at the photo in the top right, imagine the tether going from the contour camera to the camera mount plate.

In your case, you could either drill the bodwork nearby... or attach a longer tether to anything nearby that can't fall off.

Awesome. Thanks a lot!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks, ttd. I was hoping someone who actually does tech inspection would chime in.

I was going to rubberband the iPhone, since it just snaps into the mount. I'll also safety-wire the section that's clamped onto the ball joint and hopefully they'll be ok with that at the tech station.

theturtle7023 - here's a picture of how I have it oriented. You could definitely set it up to hit the windshield if you weren't careful. I've got full range of steering this way, and it's the most out of the way I could get it when I'm in full tuck, but it's still kind of poking into my peripheral vision. I think I might throw RAM an e-mail and urge them to make a low-profile sportbike steering stem mount, where it would just lay flat across the triple.

Attachments

·
882 Posts
Im thinking about getting a similar mount and mounting it to the fairing stay bracket. I have a little room between the gauge cluster and the wind screen and with my double bubble I want to try and mount it on top of the guage cluster. Ive got a tinted windscreen and cant see out of it anyway so I think it will be the cleanest look and also protect it from any debree and possibly some sun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The photo is a little tough to see the weak points clearly.

Knowing what I do about RAM mounts, I would suggest some tape around the big knobs after you've tightened down the balls in the right position. That should keep that portion safe.

As for the part where the phone or item just "clips in"... a couple of rubber bands would probably suffice... or maybe grab a bag of cheap zip ties and use them each time you go out? One large bag would probably last you several years of trackdays!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the photo is a little out of focus. My apartment is dark.

I ended up rubber-banding the iPhone into it's cradle, and I safety wired the part that grabs onto the ball joint to the clip-on. They didn't say a peep about it at tech inspection, and it held up fine on the track..

The lap timer app is pretty awesome. It was accurate to within about 2 tenths compared to the transponder - so it could probably benefit from an external GPS, but it's sufficient for my slow, inconsistent ass at this point. It's really freakin cool to be able to back and look at what speed you were going on the track at any given point, and overlay different laps. Definitely worth the $6 app + $20 mount.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
don't lie,you just want it there to update your twitter mid race :fact

@turn five!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts