Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will it be easy to do power wheelies once i get my 520 converstion kit installed? ( -1 front +2 rear )

I struggled to do power wheelies with the stock gearing, an just wondering if it is .... ALOT easier with the convserion? or should i be carefull now?

·
Registered
221 Posts
never ridden an 07 so i cant say how much the difference will be on your bike...supposedly the 08's have more midpower..but after doing the 520 -1/+2 swap on mine, it comes up easily, but only when you want it to...its not uncontrollable...i can power wheelie in 1st, 2nd, and get a good jump in 3rd...just be careful and dont get too carried away....the way i power wheelie in 1st is hold around 10k, let off the throttle for a split second, and then gun it really hard until the front wheel comes up to where i want it..

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never ridden an 07 so i cant say how much the difference will be on your bike...supposedly the 08's have more midpower..but after doing the 520 -1/+2 swap on mine, it comes up easily, but only when you want it to...its not uncontrollable...i can power wheelie in 1st, 2nd, and get a good jump in 3rd...just be careful and dont get too carried away....the way i power wheelie in 1st is hold around 10k, let off the throttle for a split second, and then gun it really hard until the front wheel comes up to where i want it..
When u say gun it... do u mean just open the throttle ALL they way? an then once u feel it lift... let it off a bit ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
you just got to get the feel for it, what someone else is doing may not work for you... try clutching it I have been clutching it now for a little while and am pretty decent at riding out 2nd now. Clutch is way more controllable anyway

·
Registered
218 Posts
about the gearing it will without a doubt be easier once you -1 +2

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about the gearing it will without a doubt be easier once you -1 +2
I hope so lol cuase trying to power wheelie with stock is a biotch!!

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Is that your only concern is wheelies?

·
My R6 costs me money lots
182 Posts
the 520 conversion does give more bottom power. So it will be easier to bring it up. If you could not wheelie on stock then be carful with the conversion. Because the bike will wheelie on stock every time with no problem. It's a matter of can you wheelie or not. NOT the set up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
+1000000000000000 It has nothing to do with ur set up unless u are trying to do slow hc's, circles and stuff..<<<<even than there are plenty of guys who do on stock gearing! Everyone thinks oh I need to gear my bike to wheelie.. If you can't wheelie it's because YOU SUCK it doesn't mean YOUR BIKE SUCK'S! Practice! I suck that's Y I practice.. The gearing on a stock bike is fine. If it came with a 60 tooth sprocket "stock" you know how many people would still say I need to gear my bike, or I just bought a 70 tooth sprocket to help me wheelie!

By the way Learn to clutch it up, just go slowly. until u know how the bike is going to react with how much ur dumping the clutch and how high your rpm's are.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol No, i dont just wanna do wheelies... but after 4 years of just riding around the streets i wanna do something more fun!! ( an i have no intent to going to the track. ALL thou i want too but i doubt i will )

HAHAHAHAHA i Do ****ing suck!! lol Im fully aware of this lol

and i have tried power wheelies with my 6 ALOT!! I dont know what im doing wrong then!! I give it up to 10,000 rpm let off an give er... it just lunges forward...not UP!! lol
Im not standing, im sitting.

Clutchin it, hmmm lets just say... im a flat out pussy an wont try it in 1st. All thou pl say dont. But what then? In 2nd? ....From a stand still, should i start in 2nd... get up to 15mph or something little an then try clutchin it?

I know its all about skill!!! But if you have never done a wheelie, then wtf lol
Im practicing but... i dont have a lot of room to go 80kmh an try an lift it up!!!

On my power wheelies should i be trying to lift up the bike as it were a pedal bike too?

I was just hope in that the 520 conversion would give me a little boost on lift er up!! lol

I'm just a lil dude too... 5"6 maybe 5"7 an 130lbs. lol 135lbs is like... fully wet!! lol

·
pat = god
3,303 Posts
if you can't pull 1st don't waste your time in 2nd. 1st is easiest, and with a 520 kit it should be even easier. you're still in the pussy stage, it's ok, many of us have been there and done that. I just started clutching it up in 2nd on stock gearing so I still have a ways to go myself before I ride out wheelies which is my goal.

the bike is lunging but not coming up = not enough ummph.

lol. on a bright note you're starting out conservative and not like a crazed madman with a death wish.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have watched that video a million times lol The only difference is he's on an old ZX-6R ( does it make a difference? ) but it seems like he gets that thing up no problem compared to my 07 R6!! i try an try what he shows ya but ...damn... it just lunges forward.

I got my Vortex sprockets an RK 520 chain today in the mail. SO i will let ya know how it goes once i get er put on... which im thinkin im just gonna go buy a rear stand an put it on myself. The shop wants $80 for the rear stand.. or $80 just to do the labour for puttin the new shit on. So i hope its not hard changing everything over lol

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
It will come up just as easy with the stock gearing as the 520. Its all in you technique... you are doing it wrong... Try helping the suspension by compressing the front forks a bit at the same time. You will get it, and when you do it will be easier and easier, just be careful, i almost looped the other day on my 100th power wheelie which game me MAJOR doubts on doing any more pow wheelies, the clutch is scarier at first but WAY better when you learn to use it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your only jumpin forward than yeah not enough power. But like the others said if you cant do it stock you prob wont be able to after the conversion. I have the conversion on mine and it is a significant difference but its not going from a 600 to a 1000. I have started to learn to wheelie over the past few months. I did power ups for a week just to get a slight feel of the front being light. But i did not care for it since they tend to be a lil unpredictable. Any type of wheelie is a lil scary at first but clutchin in my opinion is safer because it is more controllable. Start slow and learn how your bike acts. Find out what your comfortable doin. I clutched wheelies for a month and got a lil higher and higher. Then I would bring it up and right back down. Then one day it came to me and I started riding them out longer and longer. Takes time, practice and a lil bit of the Fu*k it in youir system. Make sure you put that gear on too. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
It will come up just as easy with the stock gearing as the 520. Its all in you technique... you are doing it wrong... Try helping the suspension by compressing the front forks a bit at the same time. You will get it, and when you do it will be easier and easier, just be careful, i almost looped the other day on my 100th power wheelie which game me MAJOR doubts on doing any more pow wheelies, the clutch is scarier at first but WAY better when you learn to use it.
++1

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your only jumpin forward than yeah not enough power. But like the others said if you cant do it stock you prob wont be able to after the conversion. I have the conversion on mine and it is a significant difference but its not going from a 600 to a 1000. I have started to learn to wheelie over the past few months. I did power ups for a week just to get a slight feel of the front being light. But i did not care for it since they tend to be a lil unpredictable. Any type of wheelie is a lil scary at first but clutchin in my opinion is safer because it is more controllable. Start slow and learn how your bike acts. Find out what your comfortable doin. I clutched wheelies for a month and got a lil higher and higher. Then I would bring it up and right back down. Then one day it came to me and I started riding them out longer and longer. Takes time, practice and a lil bit of the Fu*k it in youir system. Make sure you put that gear on too. Good luck
Appreciate all your guys help really !!!

When u say start slow..(clutching it) u mean; as in 3rd gear slow? 2nd gear? 25mph slow?

And should i; Start from a stand still in 2nd? lean back when the front comes up? stand up? sit down? Soften up my rear tire by letting out some air? any help is awesome. loosen my suspension?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Appreciate all your guys help really !!!

When u say start slow..(clutching it) u mean; as in 3rd gear slow? 2nd gear? 25mph slow?

And should i; Start from a stand still in 2nd? lean back when the front comes up? stand up? sit down? Soften up my rear tire by letting out some air? any help is awesome. loosen my suspension?
wow... i dont even think i should give you any advice. but here goes. youre not going to get the front end up in second gear at 15 mph at least not if you dont know what youre doing. get going at about 15mph use one finger on the clutch accelerate slowly from 15 pull the clutch in for a second then slip it out. when you slip the clutch you have to fight the urge to lean forward, (thats probably why you cant power wheelie because as soon as you hammer the throttle you lean forward.) this will help you get the feel for what its going to do. how high and fast it comes up depends on how high you rev it. so just start out small and work your way up. but COVER THE REAR BRAKE!!! and stop trying to power wheelie theyre unpredictable and dangerous.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts