Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new windscreen. What benefits do a double bubble screen provide? How does it compare to a sport touring windscreen?

Any reason to get a windscreen in smoke? I find myself biased towards clear so a camera would work better and when I lay down on the tank I can still see.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
a sport touring screen looks ridiculous on a sportbike in my opinion, they look like they go straight up and don't follow any good lines on a modern sportbike.

a double bubble is good for trackdays, pushes the air over your helmet better when tucked, however i have found that when commuting on highways, it pushed the air right into my upperchest region whereas before it was mid chest/sternum area and i barely noticed it. you get used to this after a short amount of time.

a smoke will be a little darker for camera's, but if its a very bright day, you won't have a problem. or if you are still concerned, plenty of windscreen manufacturers make a halfway, "light smoke" windscreen that looks good yet is still very clear.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
^^ I believe sport touring windshields belong on sport touring bikes such as FZ6-R, or Hayabusa etc. If you complain about wind you complain about seating comfort.

I use my double bubble for the looks as well, since I got a deal on the ZG windshield in clear otherwise I'd get smoked. My friend likes to record videos so he was concerned about getting a smoked windshield so I told him to get a light smoke.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
^^ I believe sport touring windshields belong on sport touring bikes such as FZ6-R, or Hayabusa etc. If you complain about wind you complain about seating comfort.

I use my double bubble for the looks as well, since I got a deal on the ZG windshield in clear otherwise I'd get smoked. My friend likes to record videos so he was concerned about getting a smoked windshield so I told him to get a light smoke.
:lmao

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a nice ZG sport touring windscreen that fits and looks good -- kinda like the isle of man TT bikes.

But I don't know what benefits a double bubble has. Especially on everyday rides. That and it looks a little better.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'd say it doesn't depend so much on what type of bike it belongs on, but depends more on what the bike it'll be one will be primarily used for.

A lot of people use their sport bikes (r6's, 600rr's, etc) as commuting or touring as well as carving up the twisties. I've considered the sport touring screen on my r6 for the longer trips I like to take (think 300-500+ miles). It would significantly reduce wind fatigue.

However, for every day riding, I don't think it matters too much which screen you have. Mostly preference on where you like the air stream directed.

My $0.02

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
The isle of man bikes use the Zero Gravity Corsa screens. So did mladin his last years in ama.

Most go with double bubbles though. The benefits are that you have more wind protection so you don't have to tuck as far to get under the windshield. It will normally bring the wind up so it doesn't nail your shoulders when in a tuck. For everyday riding some people find it blows the wind perfectly into their chest which helps keep them upright. It's mostly designed to help while in the tucked position though.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i'm with corey on this one...

go zero gravity - they're american made and actually have better optical quality for both vision and video purposes. and get a DB b/c it's easier to tuck down behind once you start needing to b/c of the increased speed on track. you can FEEL the difference. :fact

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm with corey on this one...

go zero gravity - they're american made and actually have better optical quality for both vision and video purposes. and get a DB b/c it's easier to tuck down behind once you start needing to b/c of the increased speed on track. you can FEEL the difference. :fact
After poking around on ZG's website I'm torn between the DB and Corsa. I think the Corsa might help when I'm not at full tuck.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
If you want function out of it then the Corsa is the way to go by far. i have used them all and I stuck with the Corsa. Some don't like the looks, but if you're okay with it and want function this is the screen to get.

Zero Gravity does have the best clarity as said above, but it doesn't come without the downside...they are more fragile then others as they are .5 mm thinner then Puig. So you really need to be careful with it. It won't break if you just touch it, but you can't drop it and need to be more careful installing it. That's the only downside, but Zero Gravity is aware of this and has great customer service should you ever need anything from them. Clarity is the best out there though...no doubt it.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18686&cat=519&page=1

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
+1 on the DB, the corsa looks very weird.

I've only had PUIG so I can vouch for them being good, I'm sure ZG is just as good.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1 on the DB, the corsa looks very weird.
The corsa doesnt look too bad to me:

Besides, function wins out over form for me. I think the corsa might be more useful in a wider variety of circumstances over the DB.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
The corsa doesnt look too bad to me:

Besides, function wins out over form for me. I think the corsa might be more useful in a wider variety of circumstances over the DB.
You're right It doesn't look THAT bad. in those pics. In the post with the red cbr it looks awful, Corey's pics on the R6 also makes it look pretty weird.

If it's what you think will fit better for your riding, who cares.

If you cared about looks you would have a R6 anyway... :poke

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you cared about looks you would have a R6 anyway... :poke
Yeah, instead I cared about being able to touch the ground. :thumbdown

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hehe, I was kidding.. Like you don't get those jokes all the time on here..

Let us know what you choose and post some pics :)
Text doesn't convey very well. I know you were kidding. I had a self-disparaging tone in my text. I was going along with your joke! Like, "stupid me caring about touching the ground! Pfffft! Noob!"

:lmao

:cheers

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
You can't go wrong with any sportbike nowadays. :fact

They are all so good that the deciding factor on what bike is best is nearly always the rider.

Yes, the Corsa has a lot more function. Zero Gravity originally designed them for the AMA guys as they wanted more protection and better and aero's. Then the Isle of Man started going to them. They never assumed the mass would want them, but when the new AMA rules came out they had to start making them available to everyone and most who get them love them and give us great feedback. The only downside is they are only available in clear and smoke. They do this as it's more of a track oriented/performance screen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts