Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my truck to begin paying off some of my debts, and get some financial stuff lined out. My wife and I are going to share a car, but I will be forced to ride my bike quite a bit this winter. Mostly to and from work (10 mile trip). It can get down in the 20's and 30's here in the winter (especially in the morning during work commute). I am looking for a windscreen for my R6 that will cut down on wind in high and low speeds. Does this even exist? I know this isn't the primary purpose for this bike, but what do you think of this. Should I remove my race exhaust and fuel management for the winter and revert everything back to stock? Is it even healthy for the bike to be out in 20's and 30's? Thanks for your input in advance.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
You can ride a bike in those temps just like a car. If your garage is heated though you may have some issues. The plastic that screens are made of don't like major temp changes quickly and it can crack them. So going from an AC garage to say 110 degrees outside and having the wind blast it can crack it. Same with going from warm to extreme cold.

You can get a double bubble or the Zero Gravity Corsa to help with wind protection. The Zero Gravity Corsa would offer the most protection and still be sporty/aerodynamic. Beyond that you can get a touring windscreen which will offer lots of protection, but they are not very aero dynamic and many think they do look a bit goofy on a sportbike.

·
vroom vroom...
589 Posts
Thats cold man. Good luck, I would assume at those temps, you might even get some snow and ice? Is there better tires that the op can get for this?

·
Squid Killin' Pirate
899 Posts
I have a double bubble and it is great! For winter commuting it would work nicely.

...until I'm on the freeway. Then I have to duck like I'm racing against a bunch of invisible bikes or it shakes the **** out of my head. I feel like an idiot so I usually just deal with the shake.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
I have a double bubble and it is great! For winter commuting it would work nicely.

...until I'm on the freeway. Then I have to duck like I'm racing against a bunch of invisible bikes or it shakes the **** out of my head. I feel like an idiot so I usually just deal with the shake.
Haha, I do the same thing in the winter...tuck while doing 80 or so...but hey, its not as cold...

OP, it gets that cold where I live as well...from mid dec to late Jan it can get as cold as 25deg in the mornings here...

I have a winter balvalica, some thermal under armor, heated gloves, and a thin sweat shirt...couple all of that with an A* RC1 2 piece suit and its manageable...but Ill tell you: the heated gloves make all the difference in the world...theyre kinda pricey but totally worth it:fact

You can get a sport touring windscreen...but there really is no screen you can get that will really make a difference...

Dont worry about tires...just dont get her in a full lean and you should be fine

·
Very Nice!!
152 Posts
I'm in the same boat I wrecked my truck last year and had to use my bike in the winter. I just put on some sweat pants under my jeans, long shirt, hoody,jacket,gloves and tuck behind zg windscreen. I ride all year except snow days an rainy days, my gf takes me to work.

·
Dreaming bout my R6
206 Posts
not gonna lie, i'm super jealous. in chicago it can get to -30 wind chill easy (not adding bike factor). this is not including snow, salt, and winter pothiles

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
it will be cold! but yea, i tuck in under the tiny windscreen when it gets too cold, looks like im in a race, but im only doing 80mph.. lol

·
my R6 tickles me.
465 Posts
Just sold my truck to begin paying off some of my debts, and get some financial stuff lined out. My wife and I are going to share a car, but I will be forced to ride my bike quite a bit this winter. Mostly to and from work (10 mile trip). It can get down in the 20's and 30's here in the winter (especially in the morning during work commute). I am looking for a windscreen for my R6 that will cut down on wind in high and low speeds. Does this even exist? I know this isn't the primary purpose for this bike, but what do you think of this. Should I remove my race exhaust and fuel management for the winter and revert everything back to stock? Is it even healthy for the bike to be out in 20's and 30's? Thanks for your input in advance.
Lol? 20s and 30s really must be nice! Just bundle up, I ride my sled in negative 40 degree weather and I break the 60 miles per a hour constantly(without a windscreen). It shouldn't be that bad, but I guess you Amercians are kinda:gay

:cheers

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
this will sound stupid, but under your gloves, wear a set of rubber exam gloves. it keeps the moisture in, thus preventing the air that does get in from cooling it as fast. i thought it was a totally stupid thing when someone said it. then i tried it. holy shit. it works

·
Registered
501 Posts
yeah just tuck close to the tank and pull your legs close to the engine and you should be good. I wear nothing but my cami blouse and pants with an under armor shirt underneath for my ride to work and I do just fine (20 min ride)

·
my R6 tickles me.
465 Posts
this will sound stupid, but under your gloves, wear a set of rubber exam gloves. it keeps the moisture in, thus preventing the air that does get in from cooling it as fast. i thought it was a totally stupid thing when someone said it. then i tried it. holy shit. it works
:fact This is an old football trick for the winter months, works wonders

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great thanks for the reply. My only other question is about my carbon fiber slip on. Is this ok in low temps? I know the carbon fiber parts can be temperature sensitive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts