Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fellow R6 owners! I wanted to share my first race ever with you. Hope you enjoy.

April 26th and 27th Race Review. 1st and 2nd place
04/28/20140 Comments

The stress, anxiety, anticipation was driving me crazy all week leading up to the race on Saturday. All I could do was think about the racetrack and the corners. Saturday morning arrived bright and early. My friend and I headed to the racetrack, and the whole way there I could feel my heart racing. I was a nervous, stressful wreck! We got there a little late, so that just added to my stress. But we made it and unloaded the bike. After the morning riders meeting Novice practice session was coming up.

First practice session went great! I built up my speed every lap, and could tell my pace was okay. Came back into the pits and waited for the second practice session

Second practice session...Not so great. I crashed on the second lap on turn 2. I miscalculated my speed, and tried to tighten/correct my line going into turn 2 to hit the apex, but it wasn't going to happen. It was a pretty fast lowside. I was pissed! I thought I just ruined the rest of the day! Mind you, I'm okay. Not hurt at all, but the bike was pretty messed up looking. The whole left side fairing was chewed up and broken. I wouldn't really know how bad it was until I got back to the pits to inspect the bike. Fortunately, the damage was all cosmetic! With lots of duct tape, zip ties, and help from my fellow novice racers, and of course my friend Kurt, we got the bike race ready. On top of fixing up the bike, we had to fix up my leather suit, because it had torn. So then, we went looking for someone in the pits who had needle and thread. Luckily, some really nice people were able to help out and my friend Kurt stitched me up.

So now the bike is okay, my suit is okay, but my head is all messed up now! I had no more practice session to shake off the crash, so my confidence was shot!

On to the race! The way our race format worked was that Novice 2 group started a few seconds before us. Novice 2 is supposed to be 750, 1000's. Novice 1 is 600's. I'm on a 600, so I'm in Novice 1. Did an easy warm up lap, and proceeded to my grid position. I'm really nervous at this point, but trying not to think about turn 2! The first wave of Novice 2 takes off. Then we're up, grid board goes up. I rev my engine getting ready for the launch, and am looking for a guy with a flag, but then at last second realize we are looking for the red light to go out! Light goes out and I take the holeshot!

Immediately having to brake for turn 1 and 2 I had to shake off the crash and move on. I did take the corner pretty slow for the duration of the race, but I maintained my lead and started working on catching the Novice 2 group up front and looking for a way around. That the part of racing that's fun! It's challenging because I'm trying to pass efficiently, but safely at the same time. It's not easy! There were a few times where I just got caught up, and ended up making mistakes trying to pass, but hey that's racing! The cool thing is I caught it all on gopro, so we can watch!

Unfortunately, the race was cut short due to red flag. I didn't even think that I had gotten first place until the other riders told me in the pits.

Oh, Sunday I got second. It was pouring rain and I didn't have rain tires, so I took it easy. I actually would have placed 4th if it wasn't for two crashes ahead of me.

Here is video of Saturday: http://youtu.be/9ZoJe3i1eOs

Check out my website too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work dude. I did a trackday at The Ridge, it's a super fun track. I would love to race there.

What was up with that grid? Are there not grid positions marked on the track? It kind of looked like everyone just sets up where ever they want?
There are cones on the right to indicate which row you're on. Since our 600 group started further back I'm not sure if positions are marked closer to the starting line or not.

It was fun. I'm glad I decided to jump into racing. I wish I would have done it sooner! Or I should say I wish I *could have done it sooner.

·
....Casper....
720 Posts
dude you were gettin it! picking off those big bikes like it was nothin, good work!

·
I like corners.
355 Posts
I went down there for Round 1 as well.

That's a very fun track, and videos really don't show the elevation changes all that much. Experiencing those elevation changes was pretty awesome.

And yeah, Sunday's weather sucked...

Edit: Do you know how/where we can check out any of the pictures taken from the weekend?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,243 Posts
I don't race (yet), but I did my second trackday on the R6 at the ridge on the 13th. It was nice to finally get comfortable on the R6 toward the end of the day.

I had the same issue with brake fade into 13 and 12. I think it is because 11 is a pretty slow turn and you can get a lot of speed built up going from 8-9-10. Then there is not much speed going from 11-12-13 to cool them off. I had a little bit in 6, but it isn't as slow of a corner.

And yes, the ridge kicks ass.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.