Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i felt like posting this early, without the pics... i'll insert the pics later on today... just hoping i can get some feedback before then. enjoy!

Expectations:
I love how the Wolf Undertail Exhaust looked on Wolf’s website. I especially loved the way the black powdercoated exhaust looked, http://www.wolfracing.co.uk/large_images/R6black.jpg I thought it looked mean and aggressive, and blended in nicely with the black frame and rims of the R6.

That is why I decided to give the Wolf system a try and go for Wolf’s special offer for an undertail exhaust system at “cost”, pending the purchaser write a review on the install. This is what I expected out of the box:

(1) The system is “Slip on”, so I expect the install to be relatively easy
(2) The system will come with all required hardware for the install.
(3) The system will not require additional modifications on the bike, if modifications are necessary, all required hardware will be provided.

I believe I am an average sportbike rider, with average mechanical skills. Currently I have a Jardine RT-One Slip on on my R6, which installed in about 20 minutes. I expect the Wolf installation to take a little longer, but by not much. I also expect the Wolf system to be much louder than my jardine.

here are some videos of my jardine:
http://jason.latonio.net/images/wolf/MVI_2332.AVI
http://jason.latonio.net/images/wolf/MVI_2335.AVI
http://jason.latonio.net/images/wolf/MVI_2336.AVI

Package Arrival:
The package arrived fairly quickly from Wolf, I waited about a week or so, since it had to be powdercoated before it was shipped from Europe. The box looked beaten and battered on my doorstep, I didn’t worry too much because it was just “metal” inside, nothing too fragile I would imagine

I opened the box up and pulled out a piece of paper lying on top of bunch of cardboard, it basically was a warning notice to “Cure the paint at 450 degrees for 30 minutes”. What! I still have to sure the paint??? I continue reading and it explains how running the bike for 30 minutes should be enough the cure the paint properly, and to be VERY careful with the install as to not chip the paint.

HOLY CRAP, this made me nervous, I thought powdercoat was supposed to be durable, why hasn’t the paint been cured at the factory??? Why should I have to worry about this??? This upset me, but it did say it should be fine after 30 minutes of riding. We will just have to see what happens when I install it.

Installation:
so I take the parts out of the box for the first time. Here are the pics of everything straight out of the box:

Wolf mentions that the kit comes with all necessary brackets to mount the license plate and turn signals. The instructions did mention something about this, but it wasn’t very clear on exactly how to accomplish this. And from what I can tell, there was no reasonable way to mount the stock turn signals.

Notice how the paint is chipped in placed on the mid-pipe, and how the powdercoat is CRAP. It’s dull and uneven and chipped. It’s nothing like the one I saw on Wolf’s website: http://www.wolfracing.co.uk/large_images/R6black.jpg

I could have done a better job with spray paint!!! The instructions contain no pictures what so ever. And the biggest thing I notice right away: THE MID-PIPE HAS NO SLITS.

What this means is that when I “Slip” the mid-pipe onto my header pipe, there is no room for the pipe to “give” and slip on easily, also, how are you suppose to clamp on a solid pipe??? It would do absolutely nothing but distort the shape of the pipe. I am really pissed about this, and I can tell right there that this install was not going to be easy. Is this a design flaw??? WTF. however, the silencer did have slits for installing onto the mid pipe. So Wolf apparently knows what slits are for. Just didn’t think of putting it on the mid-pipe I guess… very sad.

Ok, so that aside I move on. I take off my Jardine pipe, which took about 2 minutes to do. I wrapped the wolf mid pipe in some towels, per paint care instructions,
and fitted the pipe onto the bike. It was easy to figure out the orientation and how to place the pipes onto the bike. But once I started to shove the mid-pipe onto the header, it was not going in easy. The wolf mid-pipe goes in about a half inch (this is with me wrenching it back and forth) before it is almost impossible to get in any further. My Jardine just slips right on, no problem at all.

Ok, I’m starting to get pissed off. Anyway, I move on yet still. The instructions explain that I have to install “Heat shielding” underneatch my tail section to protect the plastics from the hot pipes. This “heat shielding” looks like some padded foil sticker or something… I don’t know if it will work, I’ve never had to use heat shielding before. So I cut out some heat shielding and stick in underneath my tail

ok so my bike is heat prepped and good to go. I try and install the mid pipe again, this time exerting more muscle and sweat… it goes in a little further, but I still think a good 2 cm’s would do the trick. I quit doing this for now and move on to the silencer.

The silencer went on A LOT easier (hence the slits). But the mounting holes were not lining up with the holes on the bike. I still needed about another 1.5cm.

the only way I could have gotten this much room is by pushing the mid pipe on more, but it was not budging at all!!! I tried for about 30 more minutes, then I gave up. I also notice that the mid pipe is SITTING on the rear brake line… NOT GOOD. This will easily melt that rubber and there goes my rear brake. The installation guide did mention something about this towards the end, recommending I get some steel brake lines and relocate it along the lower swing arm to avoid any heat issues!!! How come I was not informed of this from the beginning??? And no where on wolf’s site mentions this either! And another thing… if I’m taking a turn real hard, will the hugger tough the pipes??? It doesn’t look like there is much room in there at all.

I’ve reached an end point here, I can’t take this anymore. From the time I took the parts out of box, to this point, was about 1.5 hours. And I didn’t even finish!!!

The mid-pipe looks like it is in far enough though to turn the bike on so I can AT LEAST here how it sounds… here is a clip:
http://jason.latonio.net/images/wolf/MVI_2346.AVI

sorry it isn’t that long, my girlfriend cut it short… I didn’t even bother taking another clip I was so pissed off anyway.

During the install I did manage to damage the powdercoat a little bit, but it’s not like the paint was perfect in the first place.

I had to go riding then, I was so anxious to get these pipes on too. So I just pulled the wolf pipes off, and slipped on my jardine again… which took about 5 minutes to do!!!

Now I have these expensive set of pipes sitting on my garage floor, and I don’t know what to do with them. Wolf if you are reading this, I want a refund, or I demand you get these painted properly, put some damn slits on the mid-pipe, and provide a set of steel brake lines.

None of my expectations were met from this system. And from the hard earned money I spent on these pipes, I am even that much more disappointed. I don’t know if I am the only one that feels this way, I don’t see how I am not, if everyone else got the same set of pipes I got.

Anyway, hopefully this will help Wolf make a better product. And hopefully I can make some use out of the chunks of metal sitting on my garage floor. Anyone want to buy a Wolf Undertail???

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
RadRacer84 said:
Sorry to hear that buddy. I am kinda glad I didn't get one from the sounds of it.
Word. I don't know why someone would want to add weight to their bike anyway...just for looks. The (Stock) R1 undertail looks good and I've yet to see any other that I would consider a close second.

:cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
I give you mad props dude for voicing your thoughts about it.
Cant wait to see what WOLF has to say. He was saying Sportrider gave him a unfair review.... yours seems to be the same as theres... except you got of easy paying cost where others may have paid near $1000 or more for it. Hope its just a flaw in yours and you can get it all fixxed up and running. I dont think Wolf would send you junk if your doing a review... you would also think he would check the stuff.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know, i read that issue of sportrider... i was upset by that review, and the way wolf replied by saying it was rediculous, i believed him, and thought to give the system a try myself... now I know how i feel about it first hand.

I still haven't heard anything from wolf....

·
Registered
181 Posts
sorry to hear about that...you took some nice pics though, which will help others decide on whether or not to purchase a wolf system. it just sucks that you found out the hard way. I was skeptical when i first ordered my BF, hadn't seen them in person before, but I love it and I'll be adding the BF system to my new R1 when I get it in a month or so.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Adobo,
Glad to see your review up. And just by the sound of it, not too good
for the Wolf Undertail. It also saddens me to hear how the powder
coating process that's been done on it. It doesn't even compare
to the photo posted in the Wolf website. And after seeing the pictures
you posted, my jaw dropped how out of the box, there were already
some chipping on the powder coat! That just blows big time.

BTW are you local in the Bay Area? I wouldn;t mind coming down
and checking out how that pipe looks & sounds in person.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i would have sent that crappy looking piece of shit right back to the factory if i would have opened it up and it looked like that.....shame on wold for sending you that fucked up ass shit......i'd be bitchin to the high heavens till i got a new one.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i haven't heard from wolf yet, i'm surprised since he usually replies on other posts fairly quickly.

i've thought of a few other things to add to my review:

(1) the heel guard for the mid-pipe is not even painted! (look at the pics)
(2) the signal mounting brackets do not fit the stock turn signals
(3) i could find no reasonable way to route the turn signal wires around the silencer without it looking extremely nasty or touching the silencer
(4) there is no way to utilize the stock license plate light.
(5) this is NOT a stock exhaust replacement system. obviously, a ton of additional mods have to be done to the bike for it to function properly and legally.

It's sad i have so many comments on this, if the product delivered was as good as wolf says it is, than obviously my review would be very short.

I've bought a ton of stuff for my bike, and this is the first CRAP product i have purchased. between the Scott's steering damper, PCIII, Scorpio alarm, and jardine slip on, all have come with excellent installation instructions, excellent customer support (at least for the ones i used) and an EASY to install product (if advertised as easy to install)

as for wolf, i have recieved a product of quality not as promised, a difficult installation, and under par instructions. as well as misleading claims on wolf's website, which you can all find in my review.

I think all of us here on this board deserve an explanation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply - it's taken me 6 hours to get on to the site today!!

Ok, issues one by one -

The pipe is not slit as it looks so ugly to have a clamp there and it's not needed - now we do this on some parts but where we don't have to we generally don't. If the pipe is hard to push on it's because it's a gas tight seal - if you'd prefer one slit and clamped I'll be happy to do that for you but in engineering terms it's a bodge! I just really don't like clamps where they are so in view and as the pipe is held in place by 4 bolts it cannot move backwards and so the clamp to hold the pipe on is not needed. But as I said we'll do it for you if you want as it's your bike at teh end of teh day and we're here to please.

The heel guard is titanium so we never paint these

The turn signals work fine on teh brackets in the UK - if the US use different size threads then I wa snot aware of this as no one has ever said even though we have sold dozens to the US. I can only apologise for this oversight and if you let me know what size thread US indicators use (we use 8mm in Europe which is what the brackets are drilled for) I'll drill out the brackets bigger for you. Alternatively we can supply some cool carbon style indicators free of charge...

License plate light - nope don't use it - there is no way on earth to do so with an underseat and we've never said it would be replaced

The pipe work certainly will not touch the hugger but it does get too close to the brake line which is why we say a replacement is needed in the instructions - this was even mentioned in the Sportrider article so I am surprised you say you did not know anything about this from the beggining

As for the paint job it does look quite chipped and the box was pretty beat up looking so I can only assume it's been knocked around somewhat in transit - though it was packed very well.

If you want to swap it for a polished one instead (with slits in) then we'll happily do so but as I explained in the thread you started before there is no way to cure the paint in the factory as the heat needed to do so is too high. As I said in that thread as everyone seems to think running the bike is too much hassle (though without sounding sarcastic the first thing I do when I fit a new pipe is ride the bike so I don't know why that would be considered hassle by so many here) we're just not going to do teh painted any more - polished only, which is what we sell 99% of anyway

Please don't forget to let me know the size on US indicators too.

Anyway, let me know what you want us to do - email please as I get very frustrated at the moment trying to get PMs on this site when it's donw half the day.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wolf why is his pipes a flat black finish and not the glossy finish thats on your site?

·
Registered
359 Posts
At least give him some credit for backing up the product, I do think the powdercoating the is way off though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As I explained to adobo, it's the running and curing the paint that sends it gloss and smooth as it heats up. Anyway, I'll stick to polished from now on and have ordered some US indicators from a dealer over there so we can make fittings for those too.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Peter, or anyone interested in a good/appropriate black finish, look into Ceramic coating!

Ceramic is the way to go on products that have the potential to get HOT, it also retains and holds heat in the pipe better.

Most powder coatings over extended heat stress will dull and look flaky dry.

Search for ceramic coating businesses, their is quit a few that do it and do it well, and all of their finished products can look different. Contact them and see if you could get a small piece coated and sent to you for reference.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i used HPC(high performance coatings) a while back for my headers on my race car. i remember they do the black finish. i used the satin finish on my headers. if im not mistaken they have 3 sites in the us alone. they have 2 sites in australia, 1 in new zeland and 1 in france. here is the link to the website.

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

i wonder if i could coat titanium pipes? i dont care for the discoloration of titanium from the heat of the exhaust.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
guys, its the way powdercoating is...it is a flat "powder" (hence the name) that is painted on, and then under heat, it basically "melts" the powder and cures the paint...then turns glossy. Running the bike would do this I am guessing. I just don't think running temps will be enought to cure it completely. I have done alot of PC'ing and most is done at 250+ degrees in ovens for 30-40 minutes.

I was just going to suggest that the kits suggest the things like braided lines required, aftermarket lighting will be needed, etc. And, just go with polished or titanium....what about CF silencer??

Got any left?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts