Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Something Clever
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is anything that "must" be done to my little 6 to keep her healthy for winter storage. I put Sta-bil in the gas tank and ran her for about 10 minutes to make sure it got into the engine. I put some wax on the chain and draped a sheet over her too. She is in the garage and the temp will never get extremely low - freezing yes, arctic tundra no. Is this enough? I have heard to change the oil and take out the spark plugs and get both tires off the ground and take the battery out and hook it up to a tender every so often....all sorts of things, but are they all really necessary? Granted I should probably do something with the battery though. I am far from a master mechanic and just don't want to have problems this spring. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
sounds like you have everything covered. i never did the ritual of winter storage, luckily i live in hawaii. but from i read before you are set.

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
I live in Maryland, so I know the type of weather your talking about. This is my first winter with the R6 and I have read numerous posts about what people do to store their bikes for winter. As for my bike, all I am doing is giving it a good cleaning, filling the tank and adding sta-bil, changing the oil, cleaning.lubing the chain, and putting her up on stands. Other than those things, I don't have a battery tender so I'm not doing anything with my battery... unless I hear some really good suggestions. :hammer From the looks of it, you should be good for the most part.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
The only other thing I've heard is to take out the plugs and pour about teaspoonfull of oil in each cylinder, crank the motor a couple times to coat the cylinders. This is supposed to help the bores from developing surface rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts